Aliens APC 1:18 scale with interior

Thanks Gedmacc66! Whenever I've got a spare few minutes in the evenings I'm firing up the laptop and sitting in front of the TV working out how to build armour for print.

USCM_Chest.jpg

There's a way to go yet but I'll get there - and have fun along the way. :)

I'm truly fascinated by your build.
I do own several different models of the APC (Halcyon, HCG, Hiyatoys...) and none of them really fulfills my idea of the APC.
With the many differences between filming model, Full-Size Prop and interior set, there have to be compromises when trying to combine them into one model.
I think you did a great job so far, taking some liberties in some spots, but staying as close as possible to the references in others.
One example of "Stupid on-Screen" is the blue-ish shine of rear lights seen in the film (you can even make out hints of blue bulbs in the prop photos too).
I fully agree with you - the should be red anyway.

Thank you Bugstomper, it's a continual compromise and gets me scratching my head sometimes but it's fun. :)

I did a little more on the chest armour tonight.

APC_ChestArmour.jpg

I won't be adding that much else - mainly the buckles/straps and the little shoulder insert bits. There's not much point adding a ton of detail for 1:18 scale and I'm still unsure quite how it'll be integrated with the figures.

My new fibre optics and micro LED lights arrived so I could now crack on with fitting out the seat restraint lighting for the rear-bay seating area.

APC_21041701.jpg

The tub at the left side contains all the components to build up the seat restraints. There's styrene sheet pads, brass tube, styrene brackets, brass hinge pins, fibre optic strand for the lighting - all sorts of stuff. :)

APC_21041702.jpg

These long, hollow white styrene tubes have 2 back-to-back micro LEDs fitted in the middle and the wiring feeds through the brass tube and out the back. Dealing with that wiring (each wire is approx 0.2mm thick) is and will be a pain. I found that the only way to strip the insulation off it is to burn it off with a lighter. I'm not looking forward to soldering it - might need a microscope. LOL.

Awesome work, and a pleasure to watch this come together!

Have you come up with an explanation as to where the engine sits? Or what does it use for propulsion? :)

NostromoCrew - Thank you very much! Ah, yes, the engines. I reckon each wheel contains an electric radial engine powered by a fusion reactor somewhere. :)

Joberg - me too! Hopefully soon. :)

I'm back after a very busy week at college and I've devoted some time to this build - enough to warrant an update. :)

APC_21042401.jpg

Here I'm building the hinges that let the seating restraints pivot up and down.

APC_21042402.jpg

The tiny wires that lead from the LEDs need soldering onto more robust wiring that will connect them to the interior wiring loom later on.

APC_21042403.jpg

These are the components for the torso pads.

APC_21042404.jpg

There's four all done! Next step is to add the torso pads.

APC_21042405.jpg

Done, yay! I keep a grubby old pair of green plastic tweezers which are VERY handy for handling magnets - especially the ones I'll be adding here, which are 2mm x 1mm.

APC_21042406.jpg

In this shot you can hopefully see two magnets glued to the base of the brass upright - right against the white hinge collar.

APC_21042407.jpg

After matching magnets are embedded into the wall between the seats, they keep the restraints in the 'up' position.

APC_21042408.jpg

..and here they are fully down.

APC_21042409.jpg

Of course I had to wire them up and see how it looked. :)

APC_21042410.jpg

Not too shabby! On to painting next, then I'll add in some troops, put the roof on and we'll see how it all looks together.

We're back. I’m just about done teaching for the year so I've finally got some time to come back to this build and I've started with a fairly stress-free task - spraying up the main chassis exterior with Tamiya Olive Drab TS-28 in the rattle can.

First up is of course to strip all the other parts off.

APC_210626_First.jpg

Then we're off to the shed to spray - luckily there's very little wind today.

APC_210626_Spray.jpg

Now it's back on the bench and getting everything put back.

APC_210626_Sprayed.jpg

That's looking good. I'm touching up some parts of the surface where I've filled gaps etc.

APC_210626_BackUp.jpg

Next up is ordering micro slide switches for the battery packs (the existing ones are not reliable) and sorting out the wiring loom before I start dressing/painting the interior.

An incredible job in terms of quality and detail, you achieved everything to perfection. I have one half done, I started it before I had my 3d printer, I built it from a paper model, just change the paper for plastic sheets. I think I'll never finish it. Anyway, congratulations, it is a beautiful model that you made. I am waiting to see more progress.

Thank you NostromoCrew, yes, it's back on. :)

Tanolucas - Thank you very much. I hear you, there were times when I was ready to abandon mine, especially nearer the start. If you ever do decide to carry on with yours and need any help or advice, give me a shout.

This is amazing! I'm going to build a 1/10 scale! Would you be kind enough to share your stl files?
I will be doing at some point yes. I'll be collecting them together and cleaning them up. Of course there's a lot of scratch-building here too so the STLs are just a part of that.

A great place to start is with Graham Langridge's blueprints if you can get hold of them.

Thank you Axlotl. :)

Yes, indeed Joberg. Hopefully not long now.

My daughter got married two weeks ago so I've been helping prep for that for a while. It was a fabulous wedding and the hard work setting it up paid off - it went without a hitch. Now I've got some time for hobbies again. :)

While figuring out how to wire all this stuff together I found these little connectors from an electronics kit. They're perfect for joining the lighting wiring between different sections of the build.

APC_21073101.jpg

There will be two loops running throughout the APC, one for interior lighting, one for the exterior. I'll also have another switch somewhere for the main searchlight on top. I checked the exterior loop first.

APC_21073102.jpg

..then the interior which is just the dashboard for now but will have an overhead red cabin light too.

APC_21073103.jpg

Another task I've been putting off is flooring panels. I recently got a 3d printer upgrade and have only just got the settings dialled in so I'll be printing these out.

APC_21073104.jpg

I've measured the three floor panels and tested paper versions for fit.

APC_21073105.jpg

I'll have a go at printing them out and update with progress.

So, on to 3d printing. Here I've given the first print a coat of Olive Drab, a pin wash with black ink, then a light dry-brush with a sand/soil base.

APC_21080101.jpg

Fits nice! The white section on the left is one of the paper templates.

APC_21080102.jpg

I'm happy with the colour of this so I'll do the rest the same - maybe add some chipping wear later. I'll also finalise the paint and detail finish of a lot of the other interior fitments.

APC_21080103.jpg

Of course not everything goes to plan and I promised, you'll get the whole journey - warts and all.

APC_21080104.jpg

This first print wasn't going well. It's either the bed heating that's too low/high and/or damp filament (PLA). Anyway, I swapped to another filament reel and all was well for the second print.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back