Alien: Isolation

I think I spotted a goof, thanks to the comment of another user here. It's appears to be a bit of a continuity goof. In the first film, when Dallas, Lambert and Kane go into the Derelict, in order to get to the Space Jockey's chamber, they had to climb a wall after walking down the hallway. Yet, when it comes to the game, when the crew goes to LV-426 and find the Derelict, the only thing they do is walk straight to the chamber. Was this a goof? Or did I misremember the actual scene?

There are some pretty big issues with the Derelict scene, but I think it all boils down to artist's intent. If you look at the Space Jockey set from the original movie, it's pretty much the same exact set as the egg chamber. The game's depiction of the Space Jockey room is more in tune with H.R. Giger's sketches in that it's a large circular room. While it may be a deliberate change, it still has a moment where you have to climb up the edge of the sprocket edges just like in the movie, so maybe the wall wasn't really that high?

I'm surprised nobody has talked about the other big continuity issue with that scene. Unless Weyland Yutani has capsule technology, how the heck did Dallas and company carry all those "Nostromo" boxes into the derelict? There are DOZENS OF THEM just laying around!

There are some pretty big issues with the Derelict scene, but I think it all boils down to artist's intent. If you look at the Space Jockey set from the original movie, it's pretty much the same exact set as the egg chamber. The game's depiction of the Space Jockey room is more in tune with H.R. Giger's sketches in that it's a large circular room. While it may be a deliberate change, it still has a moment where you have to climb up the edge of the sprocket edges just like in the movie, so maybe the wall wasn't really that high?

If I recall correctly from the film, it wasn't a simple climb up. Kane, Lambert and Dallas looked like they had to pull up their whole body from a much lower level, whereas for the game, it seemed like it was at waist height..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I completed A:I, my Dad and I have been playing the co-op of Aliens: Colonial Marines, just to see what it's like. We're almost done with the co-op campaign. The game is okay, definitely could have been better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How's this compare with the colonial marine game? Or is that a wholly laughable question?

Dude this game makes the misery and fallout from Colonial Marines heal. It truly is a million times better. You won't regret a thing about getting it. You truly feel a part of the Alien universe. Oh and use headphones. They make it more immersive. As stated above if you want an Aliens type game then Alien vs Predator is worth a look. While it's not Isolation quality I really enjoyed the marines campaign and you should be able to grab that for next to nothing. :)

Ben

Dude this game makes the misery and fallout from Colonial Marines heal. It truly is a million times better. You won't regret a thing about getting it. You truly feel a part of the Alien universe. Oh and use headphones. They make it more immersive. As stated above if you want an Aliens type game then Alien vs Predator is worth a look. While it's not Isolation quality I really enjoyed the marines campaign and you should be able to grab that for next to nothing. :)

Ben

Cool - looks like a Game Stop run!

Cool - looks like a Game Stop run!

Trust me, it will be the best buy you make when it comes to games that is Alien related. Like I said before, if you haven't been afraid of the xenomorph since the first film, this game will definitely make you fear it again.

My son has the One upstairs on his smaller TV. I have the 360 on my 80". Consoles are not readily interchangeable.

Thoughts?

Default is to go with the 360 version for my big TV.

I dunno guys. I'm one of the biggest A L I E N fans around and I think the game is a little slow. You sneak around humans and androids forever and then you have to sneak around to avoid the alien. Don't even bother with novice because the alien will walk up to you and turn the other way and leave. lol! Good environments and some tense moments (at first) but I don't find myself wanting to play it anymore. I'm currently at the place where the dude locked in the room is talking you through things to do.

Thoughts?

I can't imagine playing this game on a console. The Xbox One version can't even do 30fps consistently and on the 360 the internal render resolution is 1120x680, which on an 80" television would probably look about as good as playing it on a Jumbotron from 5 feet away.

If I recall correctly from the film, it wasn't a simple climb up. Kane, Lambert and Dallas looked like they had to pull up their whole body from a much lower level, whereas for the game, it seemed like it was at waist height..

As I said earlier, the design was clearly aiming at replicating H.R. Giger's sketches of the set instead of what we got in the film. Even with that, It's still one the game's more memorable moments because... well, who was expecting it? It does a great job in serving the story and it solves a few story issues without being openly blatant about it.

Why didn't the company pick up the signal from the derelict ship when they were setting up the colony?
It was shut down.
How was it shut down?
Because a salvage team looking for the Nostromo thought it would be valuable and didn't want anyone else to find it.
Than how come they didn't report it?
Same reason the Nostromo didn't report it in.
Ah....

Now THAT is how you go about fixing continuity things without making such a big deal out of it.

It seems to me that they went about writing this as fans and found things they wanted to see explained and went from there, which is something more movie and comic tie-ins should do. They didn't really cause drastic alterations to anything established nor really left any new plot holes. It's nice to see that Sega and Fox both had enough faith in these guys to not get in the way of development, especially after some of the past disasters.

As I said earlier, the design was clearly aiming at replicating H.R. Giger's sketches of the set instead of what we got in the film. Even with that, It's still one the game's more memorable moments because... well, who was expecting it? It does a great job in serving the story and it solves a few story issues without being openly blatant about it.

Why didn't the company pick up the signal from the derelict ship when they were setting up the colony?
It was shut down.
How was it shut down?
Because a salvage team looking for the Nostromo thought it would be valuable and didn't want anyone else to find it.
Than how come they didn't report it?
Same reason the Nostromo didn't report it in.
Ah....

Now THAT is how you go about fixing continuity things without making such a big deal out of it.

I agree with you. It was a great moment in the game. And it was an impressive recreation of the mood and setting, even if they were using the original Giger design or just basing it off the actual set seen in the film. It's still impressive nonetheless.

It seems to me that they went about writing this as fans and found things they wanted to see explained and went from there, which is something more movie and comic tie-ins should do. They didn't really cause drastic alterations to anything established nor really left any new plot holes. It's nice to see that Sega and Fox both had enough faith in these guys to not get in the way of development, especially after some of the past disasters.

I agree. It definitely succeeded in filling in a small part of the gap between the films without stepping on the toes of continuity between the two.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back