Alien: Isolation

I just finished finished that level a few weeks ago when I was back east visiting my family, my brother has an X-box. Next level is the discovery on LV-426! I have since bough an X-box to continue playing.

Sweet! I can't wait.

I love exploring in sandbox style games and this is no exception. I like trying to explore and wonder how much time I have before the Alien pops out of the vents for a walk. I did find it's first interaction with a working Joe kind of interesting...the Joe sure didn't know what to make of it lol. Crazy tension climbing into a hiding area, heart pounding wondering if he saw you. I've also been hiding when it jumps down from the vent in the room I'm hiding in and I almost jumped off my couch lol.

Just completed the game and I have to say, it's a very interesting, well designed and somewhat challenging game. Story wise, the game is a pretty good mid-point for both the first and second film to the point where I kinda wish this had been made into an actual film than to be just a video game. The ending, however, is sort of pointless when you take into account that according to the Special Edition of Aliens, Amanda lives to be in her 60s before she passes away two years prior to Ripley being found (unless the company lied about Amanda Ripley's demise and faked the photo Ripley is shown. But it does leave open the possibility of a second game should there ever be one (hopefully without Amanda, though. Seriously, starting a game series with another Ripley constantly doing battle with the xenomorphs? Hard to buy when her mother deals with them in all three films. It's like John McClane said in Die Hard 2: Die Harder, "How can the same $#!t happen to the same person twice?" Or in case for another Alien: Isolation game involved Amanda Ripley once more, "How can the same $#!t happen to two people in the same family multiple times?"). The game's design was impressive. The station definitely has the feel of the universe designed for the first film with sprinkles of Aliens toss into the mix in certain spaces. I've got to admit, even set on Easy, the game is hard as hell. I lost count of the times I ended up being killed by the Alien and was on the easy setting. And it sure as hell was aggressive too. It's like every time I even got close to finishing a task, it would drop out of the overhead vent. And even after hiding while it did its search and then crawl back up into the vent, I go to get out after waiting a minute for it to leave, and it then drops back down out of the freakin' vent! It's like it knew I was close to achieving the task I was on and was messing with me!

Now, as I've suggested before, if they do a second game, I feel that doing the Hadley's Hope storyline would be best suited for the gameplay style, even though I've been informed that the Hadley's Hope story has recently been done in novel form (honestly, if they don't do it for a second game, they could do it as DLC. Seriously, sneaking around in the current game got me wondering if that was what it was like for Newt (minus the flamethrower, motion tracker, and creating the various stuff like Med Stims, Molotovs, etc, naturally). And I've actually done some thinking in relation to something my Dad suggested. He likes the game too, but he said, "I'd prefer it if the game had some form of multiplayer." Now, I get that for A:I, a multiplayer game would something that wouldn't work for a game designed to be different from past Aliens games. However, I do have an idea on how there could be a multiplayer option which could work: basically, have small teams of four trying to accomplish tasks, and trying to work together to do so, and the Alien stalking all of them. If there were a death match gameplay for the game, I imagine using the crowbar tool/stun baton and crafting items (such as Molotov cocktails, noisemakers) against one another and still have the Alien stalking everyone (and having players even using the Alien as a tactical tool for taking out others, such as if you use the noisemaker). But those are ideas, and I know they probably wouldn't work in the context in the game.

Overall, that if I had to rate the game by number, 1 being horrible and 5 being best, I have to say the game is a 4. It has its fair share of hiccups, but its still a pretty decent game to play and I feel it definitely saved the future of future Alien games that Aliens: Colonial Marines had put into uncertainty. Hope those who have considered playing the game, if you're a fan of the Alien franchise and you haven't been afraid of the xenomorph since the first film, this game is for you, and it will definitely make you fear the Alien once again.

Last edited:
yeah but ellen rypley "volunteered" to encounter the "aliens". she knew for a fact what she was in for, she could barely function after enduring the first "alien" so I don't see how the "same thing happening twice" is relevant. the company tells amanda about her mom, hence "isolation" so I would assume the company has been lying since day 1 to EVERYONE. so a sequel where she is still "searching for her mom" and KNOW'S she in for a bigger battle is plausible as her mother was in hyper sleep for 57 years. 57 years of aliens in a sandbox?? ohhh the sandcastles we could build. just 2 cents ;)

yeah but ellen rypley "volunteered" to encounter the "aliens". she knew for a fact what she was in for, she could barely function after enduring the first "alien" so I don't see how the "same thing happening twice" is relevant. the company tells amanda about her mom, hence "isolation" so I would assume the company has been lying since day 1 to EVERYONE. so a sequel where she is still "searching for her mom" and KNOW'S she in for a bigger battle is plausible as her mother was in hyper sleep for 57 years. 57 years of aliens in a sandbox?? ohhh the sandcastles we could build. just 2 cents ;)

After the encounter at the station, it's safe to say that Amanda's not going to volunteer at the behest of Weyland-Yuntai like she did the first time (especially since she found out from Apollo that they bought the station two days after she departed and then ordered Apollo to keep the creatures alive, willing to allow everyone to die if it meant getting the creature). So, her signing up for anything from WY that could lead her to be involved in another xenomorph encounter is slim. Hence the "two members of the same family getting involved in the same situation multiple times." You can't have the entire Ripley family battling the xenomorphs, that was the point of the "same thing happening twice" (you can buy it for Ellen Ripley because the first time she didn't volunteer for it, the second time she did because she didn't want anyone else to go through what she did and that just lead to her situation and eventual demise in Alien3. After A:I, having Amanda getting involved with more xenomorphic situations would be absurd. Even if she was still looking for her mother, after the events of A:I, there's still no way you'd be able to get Amanda to be involved in a second xenomorph situation. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't sign up for a second round of that kind of Hell (Ripley didn't even want to get involved when Burke and Gorman came to tell her about contact with LV-426 being lost at first, until she came to realize that by going she could possibly stop others from going through the same trauma as she has). I mean, if you were in the situation presented in either the first film or the game, can you honestly say that you would be more than willing to sign up for a second go-around with the most dangerous creature in the galaxy? I doubt anyone would.

After A:I, having Amanda getting involved with more xenomorphic situations would be absurd. Even if she was still looking for her mother, after the events of A:I, there's still no way you'd be able to get Amanda to be involved in a second xenomorph situation.

Well having her involved in anything after Aliens would be impossible since she's died by the time that movie begins.

They could always disregard the Special Edition, I suppose.

Last edited:
Well having her involved in anything after Aliens would be impossible since she's died by the time that movie begins.

They could always disregard the Special Edition, I suppose.

Nononono. She died two years prior to The second film. No need to change that.

Maybe Amanda has a daughter who has to fight the Xeno's! Only this time they're.... underground. No! Underwater, perfect. Underwater WY research facility with squid Xeno's and the daughter of Ripley's daughter is the only one who can save the day.

Maybe Amanda has a daughter who has to fight the Xeno's! Only this time they're.... underground. No! Underwater, perfect. Underwater WY research facility with squid Xeno's and the daughter of Ripley's daughter is the only one who can save the day.

Good idea for the underwater base, but it'd be too much like Leviathan. Also, Burke stated Amanda had no children.

Question. Why are we taking Burke at his word? For all we know Amanda could not only still alive, but not be the natural age of 66! I wouldn't be surprised if Burke doesn't know about the truth either and the cover up went much deeper.

Question. Why are we taking Burke at his word? For all we know Amanda could not only still alive, but not be the natural age of 66! I wouldn't be surprised if Burke doesn't know about the truth either and the cover up went much deeper.

That scene took place before Ripley gave her statement to the corporate suits, which means before the company sent a message asking the Colonists to examine the grid sector containing the Space Jockey's ship, before they lost contact and before they verified the existence of the Xeno. Considering the Company trusted Burke enough to send him along to retrieve the Xeno and he was prepared to kill them all to do it, if there was some cover up he probably would have been in on it.

Burke had no motive to lie about it, it wouldn't have gotten him anything and they didn't know they would need Ripley's help until later.

Burke had no motive to lie about it, it wouldn't have gotten him anything and they didn't know they would need Ripley's help until later.

Burke may not have any motive, but what about Weyland Yutani itself? They're lying to Ripley about something because they did offer Amanda a seat on the mission to find out what happened to the Nostromo. Perhaps they wanted the Sevastopol Station incident kept so under wraps that they probably kept Burke in the dark about it as well.

Burke may not have any motive, but what about Weyland Yutani itself? They're lying to Ripley about something because they did offer Amanda a seat on the mission to find out what happened to the Nostromo. Perhaps they wanted the Sevastopol Station incident kept so under wraps that they probably kept Burke in the dark about it as well.

Burke is Weyland Yutani, keeping him in the dark would accomplish nothing.

edited to add:
Let's not forget that an indeterminate amount of time passes between Ripley testifying in front of the Company men and Burke knocking on her apartment door. It was enough time that she got herself a new job, and i'm sure during that time she would've checked out her daughter's status and not just taken their word for it or never tried to find out any more about her.

Last edited:
Granted, there was a previous draft of the Aliens screenplay where Amanda Ripley was still alive as an old woman who became embittered by the years that her mother wasn't there. But when it comes to Burke, there's a good chance his intentions are good at the beginning (if there is any misinformation, it's on the company who provided the information to Burke, not Burke himself). Burke actually starts off being someone who may have actually been on Ripley's side at the start. After the colony became infected, he pretty was was there for the company, not for Ripley, when he showed up at Ripley's door with Gorman.

You have to think like a company: never tell the management any more than they need to know, it's easy enough to claim the station was an accident and sealed the files in an archive. I guarantee there are secrets in the real world corporations that even the CEOs aren't privy too unless they're top of the top. Plus let's face it; Burke's an ass so he could just be messing with her because he didn't really do any research other than the photo lol

You have to think like a company: never tell the management any more than they need to know, it's easy enough to claim the station was an accident and sealed the files in an archive. I guarantee there are secrets in the real world corporations that even the CEOs aren't privy too unless they're top of the top. Plus let's face it; Burke's an ass so he could just be messing with her because he didn't really do any research other than the photo lol

"Some honch in a cushy office on Earth says go look at a grid reference in the middle of nowhere, we look. They don't say why, and I don't ask. I don't ask because it takes two weeks to get an answer out here and the answer's always 'don't ask'." - That line alone pretty much describes how things work with the company, basically everyone does sometime and don't ask why (Burke is assigned to Ripley by the company to represent her. So, if they give him information about Amanda Ripley and tell them to give them to Ellen Ripley, he doesn't ask if its true or complete, because he has no reason to mistrust the company. Plus, if Burke was bad from the start, then why bother to look up the information at all and give it to Ripley? He could have lied about still looking for it prior to the meeting in the Special Edition. By it seems, he is actually harmless to Ripley in comparison to later when he begins to veto against destroying the xenomorphs, even though he gave his word to Ripley that's what they were going to do. I acknowledge that he could have been a ******* from the start, but I also acknowledge that he may not have been either.

Last edited:
The question to justfiy any lie is "what does the liar gain from the lie". Neither Burke nor the Company had any reason to lie about her daughter at that point, because they haden't yet discovered that there were more Xeno's out there and that the alien ship was on a planet they had already colonized. If they knew about it beforehand, they wouldn't have waited 57 years to check it out, which means they didn't know the location until she gave it to them.

If they were going to lie about her death they probably could have manipulated it to push Ripley into going to LV-426, that sounds like something WY would do. Waiting around for her to decide on her own isn't their style but they had no leverage against her to do otherwise.

I think I spotted a goof, thanks to the comment of another user here. It's appears to be a bit of a continuity goof. In the first film, when Dallas, Lambert and Kane go into the Derelict, in order to get to the Space Jockey's chamber, they had to climb a wall after walking down the hallway. Yet, when it comes to the game, when the crew goes to LV-426 and find the Derelict, the only thing they do is walk straight to the chamber. Was this a goof? Or did I misremember the actual scene?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back