ALIEN 1979 SELF DESTRUCT UNIT

Who did you get to do your chrome if i may ask.
Yup, it was VMC, in the UK. I wanted the pieces chrome plated rather than just the usual spraychrome/2k method that I have used before.
They've been around for decades...as well as chroming the OT Threepio back in the day, the guy was telling me his dad did the chroming on the ALIEN teeth for the film!

Got the cooling cylinder pieces assembled
rt2cVX8l.jpg

OK, I'm dying to know the methods and materials for the cooling rods. That looks fantastic!
Thanks...I think all the info is already in the thread, but if there's something specific?
Quick update; got the handles fitted to the lever box
gVPmyHfl.jpg

I'm hoping to have the hatch lid finished next week...I had to remake it entirely because it was too heavy to spring open. Easily the hardest thing to get right so far

Thanks...I think all the info is already in the thread, but if there's something specific?
Quick update; got the handles fitted to the lever box
View attachment 1416950

I'm hoping to have the hatch lid finished next week...I had to remake it entirely because it was too heavy to spring open. Easily the hardest thing to get right so far
Heavy lid? No problem emoting while lifting it:p I kid, of course...eager to see what kind of material you'll use to make a lighter lid!

Were the interior rods and outer shell of the cooling tubes readily available perspex dowels/tubing, or were they machined? How was the halo effect achieved? Did you machine grooves in the interior perspex parts for a controlled light bleed? Great work!

Were the interior rods and outer shell of the cooling tubes readily available perspex dowels/tubing, or were they machined? How was the halo effect achieved? Did you machine grooves in the interior perspex parts for a controlled light bleed? Great work!
This build is all about problem solving it seems. They clearly used at least 2 separate props to achieve all the functions seen on screen and several pick-up shots on isolated details that probably didn't do anything but appear to trigger other sequenceS. So the dilemma is to produce one box that does everything u see on screen, without all the extra unseen trickery, like remote control or manual assistance.
But to answer your question...luckily, for me, the cooling rods have been pretty straight forward...all, off the shelf, Acrylic tubes x 4 and 1" pipes x 72 with a circular selfie LED light underneath. The light bleed for the halo effect is something that Acrylic does naturally, so no machining required

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back