ALIEN 1979 SELF DESTRUCT UNIT

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Most of you know me for making Star Wars props but I do have another love...Yep, ALIEN. First time I saw the original 79' film I was stunned...never seen anything like it before or since. I went to see it about 15 times in the first few weeks of release, even though I wasn't quite old enough to get in, and have seen it probably a hundred more times... It is a genuine masterpiece and I love it more than ever
Anyhoo...I was thinking to model, and build, some of my favourite props from the film and top of the list has to be the Self Destruct unit from the Nostromo. I know of a coupla build threads on here but all the pics/links are dead and I've had no luck chasing down refs/info. I am hoping this thread will make it easier for members to chip in with any details/images as the build proceeds
This will be a back burner type build as I have my hands full with the 1/6 Falcon at present. First priority is to get everything modelled, then figure out the correct scale. Probably I will 3D print hardly anything on this prop but I want to have it all drawn out for proportions etc. I'm thinking to have as much CNC'd (in Aluminium and Brass) as possible, and fabricate the main components from laser cut Acrylic/MDF etc. I do want it to be a working prop, so all the movements, sound effects need to be factored in before tackling the build.

Here's what I have so far; The box, tubes, rods etc are all drawn as separate models

BOX.png LID.png KEYPAD.png PERSPEX.png LIGHT TUBES.png CLUTCH.png RODS.png
And here they are as a single unit

PROP.png

PROP1.png

PROP2.png

PROP4.png

PROP3.png

Last edited:
Thanks. Before I can set about actually start building this thing I need to establish some sizes. If anyone has any dimensions they can share of any parts used...warning sticker/bolts/lid, that I can scale these drawings to I would be grateful. I read somewhere that the 5th (spare) bolt had surfaced in auction but I couldn't see any info on the size?

Fingers crossed. I did have some excellent info from smagda64, re the replica activation bolt. I thought it would be useful to have as much info in one place as possible and he has kindly consented for me to post his stuff here. He points out that the dimensions are taken with 'inexpensive' digital calipers...works for me!
bolt_diameters.jpg

bolt_lengths.jpg

20200917_155633.jpg

20200917_155950.jpg
20200917_155953.jpg
20200917_160003.jpg
20200917_160035.jpg

I should be able to scale everything to the bolts and have a reasonable shot at hitting the right size

Last edited:
One day im going to make one of the bolts. I regret selling my Russrep years back. Looks like its just made of 1-1/2" hex bar. I think i still have an acrylic/brass tip because my acrylic tip came in chipped and russ replaced it. Only thing those dimensions are missing is thread pitch but i can guestimate it with those dimensions. Thanks for them.

Ok still in the research phase...have decided to make the whole self destruct system. Basically 3 parts; the push emergency button/pull red lever box, the pull down big spring loaded black and silver levers x 4 and then the self destruct box itself. So, this...
LEVER PANEL1.png

which is mounted on top of this...
LEVER PANEL.png

which triggers this...
PROP.png

It's quite clear, as has been mentioned before, from endlessly watching this clip that the box Ripley squats down to operate is not the box that houses the main Self Destruct prop we see. From this pic u can see she is using a calculator type keyboard, totally unlike the actual prop keypad
7468579_orig.jpg

What's more there is a serious continuity error; after she has activated the cooling rods and they are all fully deployed she walks away from the box and they are nowhere to be seen! Never noticed before now
vlcsnap-2020-10-09-17h09m21s612.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back