ALIEN 1979 SELF DESTRUCT UNIT

Bit more progress...added the curved walls to the perimeter of the box...
DozKAHal.jpg

Ko0HU4nl.jpg

and printed the 'clutch' ring parts which will be spray-chromed along with the cooling cylinders

Also started the lever panels that will trigger the hatch to open

4hJHdvyl.jpg

Amazing, I'm following this build.

This guy did a deep dive into the typeset of the entire movie, might help you when you get to working on the keyboard, labels, etc... :

Alien

Last edited:
It's quite clear, as has been mentioned before, from endlessly watching this clip that the box Ripley squats down to operate is not the box that houses the main Self Destruct prop we see. From this pic u can see she is using a calculator type keyboard, totally unlike the actual prop keypad

Indeed. In fact, if you look at the whole sequence where she operates the fancy chromed/brassed rods and backlit control pad and all that - you never see Sigourney Weaver's face - just a brief glimpse of hair. Betcha the entire thing was a pickup shot, filmed later in a different studio as an insert, using a stand-in wearing the overalls and digital watch. Probably because Scott decided that the sequence he'd filmed originally wasn't dramatic enough. :) My guess anyway.

- nkg

Last edited:
Oh cool...thanks
Bit more work done...wasn't happy with the painted silver front of the lever panel so I swapped it for a brushed steel facia. Difficult to tell what was used in the film but it looks pretty shiny. Still waiting on the machined handles. Also finished and weathered the cover panel with the all important thumb screws
sjwbKlJl.jpg
225ij6pl.jpg

nS7wKj1l.jpg
jqOEcmFl.jpg

and got the main box painted, ready for the hardware
EAZy4SIl.jpg

Thanks guys...still waiting on the Brass and Aluminium parts because the machine shop is currently shut down with Covid but I managed to mock up the first Cooling Rod outer tube. I particularly wanted to replicate the circular halo effect under the clutch plate which is visible on the film prop;
1_N0mTrdTdht6Z8ln-pNTvWQ (2).jpeg

Here's what I got so far
PhPs3hYl.jpg
1xML5rGl.jpg

Not sure whether to go for warm or cool white light...what d'ya think?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back