Ahsoka - The Map - Wonderknight and eethan WIP thread

Hello there,
I have done much more progress on the 3D model (74% details done) but will probably only post photos when the project is ready :)
We have opened an interest thread with all options detailed, feel free to join up :)

thank you :)

Not at all related to the run, but I am very curious what your mesh looks like with the lines cut in.

Not at all related to the run, but I am very curious what your mesh looks like with the lines cut in.
in this case it will be awefull ahah :) I'll use booleans here, there is no way I can model all the details cleanly :)
But i can definitely make a small update when I get to this as I'll be scripting the whole convertion from curves to polys before doing the booleans, fun stuff :) cheers

in this case it will be awefull ahah :) I'll use booleans here, there is no way I can model all the details cleanly :)
But i can definitely make a small update when I get to this as I'll be scripting the whole convertion from curves to polys before doing the booleans, fun stuff :) cheers

Okay, so it'll probably look about like I would expect. :lol:

(If this were Lightwave and/or Modo: freeze curves --> bevel to produce width --> Smooth Shift to thicken --> Solid Drill into sphere w/ a new material --> use statistics panel to select new material --> Smooth Shift again to inset the selected w/ new geo at the edges.

I'm not familiar enough with Maya to know how to do it there, but the end result would probably be very similar.)

Okay, so it'll probably look about like I would expect. :lol:

(If this were Lightwave and/or Modo: freeze curves --> bevel to produce width --> Smooth Shift to thicken --> Solid Drill into sphere w/ a new material --> use statistics panel to select new material --> Smooth Shift again to inset the selected w/ new geo at the edges.

I'm not familiar enough with Maya to know how to do it there, but the end result would probably be very similar.)
yeah, this is in maya, and I want the channel of each engraving to be of a special shape, deeper than larger, so I'll need to define the orientation of the profile curve for each of the channel curves on the sphere before creating the poly lines, if that makes sense at all. For this, i'll script it I think :) but that's just the rigger in me doing complex modeling ;-)

Interested pending pricing
hi, the interest thread was opened last night with a break down of options and an idea of prices:

but I think you registered to the other offer in the end

Someone add purgils....
Screenshot_20230913_121308_Instagram.jpg

Most of the 3d printed balls you see online come from the same early file from the Etsy seller BigFredsCustoms, there is a lot of interpreting going on in that file.
My own 3d model is based for now on 23 different reference images that I placed in Maya and matched with the camera, I am at 92% done will the engravings and haven't seen any purgils anywhere in the refs.
Cheers

Hi everyone :) ,
I did a little test for the color of the map.
It's very difficult because it really changes color depending on the scene.
So I chose to work on the version Sabine handles, a sort of aged brass.
I still need to work on the weathering which will add a lot to the overall look.
But you can already get a glimpse.

Cheers

IMG_0071.jpg

Hey eethan ! Are you thinking of lighting the map with fiber optics or a single, central, light source? I think the fiber optics would make a great 'in-hand' prop, but a single light source in the center of the sphere somehow, might actually cast little light dots through the holes in the surface of the sphere. Seeing the little dots on the walls and ceiling of a dark room would be speck-tacular! ;) <--- See what I did there?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back