Advice Needed on Making Mold for Complex Part

Chris Moliere

I'm in the process of trying to design a mold for a complex part, this globe for a gumball machine used on a puppet I'm in the process of building. However, I've run into some complications, due to the design of the part. It's hollow, but it has to be a specific thickness, and due to the interior structure of the part making a mold of the inside would be difficult, if not impossible. In order to make it exact, there's also a seam inside the piece that needs to be replicated, so making a mold of the inside is a necessity. I've attached some photos to explain the part's design. Any ideas on how to make a mold that would replicate these requirements would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• mst3k-bot-parts-for-tom-servo-gumball-money_1_619e5806c259b74775c6b4e76e107aab.jpg
    mst3k-bot-parts-for-tom-servo-gumball-money_1_619e5806c259b74775c6b4e76e107aab.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Globe Diagram.png
    Globe Diagram.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 73
You will need to mold the globe in two parts, just like the original was made. Separate top and bottom hemispheres. Each is then a much simpler object to mold and cast. The seam is where the two halves are joined together. Is there a reason you do not want to just buy a plastic gumball machine/toy of the proper size instead of casting one of your own?

You will need to mold the globe in two parts, just like the original was made. Separate top and bottom hemispheres. Each is then a much simpler object to mold and cast. The seam is where the two halves are joined together. Is there a reason you do not want to just buy a plastic gumball machine/toy of the proper size instead of casting one of your own?
That's the problem I'm trying to fix. This gumball machine is nearly impossible to find nowadays. They still make a variation of it with a vertical seam instead of horizontal, so if the globes are replicated then the issue can be fixed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back