Adam Savage's Sankara Stones are Missing!

Would be great if this stone would be recovered. It's kind of a statement like: "You just don't steal from the prop community, since you will never be able to get rid of what you stole, without being traced down!"

Would be great if this stone would be recovered. It's kind of a statement like: "You just don't steal from the prop community, since you will never be able to get rid of what you stole, without being traced down!"
I actually knew of a couple of items stolen from the set of a TV series, in the 'collection' of someone I lived close to years ago. It was a friend of a friend and I won't go into what it was (it was from a 1970s show) but the guy was just fine with never getting to display it in the open.
Anyone remember the Dr Who episode, "City of Death"? The alien got da Vinci to paint several copies of the Mona Lisa, had them crated away for centuries then stole the one from the Louvre. that way, the world knew the 'real' one was stolen and he could sell the multiple copies to collectors because they could never tell anyone.
that's fiction but I suspect several pieces of art stolen by the Germans in WW2 are likely in places just like that, with owners who are fine with never being able to tell anyone.
I can just see the cops trying to digest everything that's being said to them, and when they try to identify the missing item in their written report, the best they can come up with is "fake rock".
Yeah, exactly. I mean, how serious would (or could) a cop take this?
Someone I served with who's now with the FBI once told me, "If it takes half an hour to explain why something is important, I doubt I'll think it is when you're done..."
Again, I'm not diminishing how much this stinks for Adam, just wondering how any of us could get a cop to realize the importance of something like this.
Think of that BBT episode where the guys get robbed and Sheldon goes bonkers when the cops don't see the loss as a big a thing as he does.

Who does that?!?!

I don't know if you've ever had anything stolen from you, but it sucks. I've got an Azuma stone and it's a gorgeous piece.

Stealing from a guy like Adam, whom has had nothing but effusive love and generosity for this community, is unconscionable.

It´s horrible to be robbed.
By the way, I don´t know if I should ask this:
Is asavage THE A Savage???

:lol you have been here since 2002 and you are just figuring out that it is THE Adam Savage?
Just kidding :thumbsup
He is pretty open about who he is and in no way is it a big secret... So you are ok asking ;)

Realistically the cops won't lift a finger unless someone does everything else and hands them an instance they can arrest the person with it in his/her possession. Just be thankful it was a replica and not a production piece, it still sucks, but is a lot less difficult to replace. :(

Commenting to subscribe to the thread, I definitely want to see where this goes.

Much has already been said on the subject, but it sucks. Were the props insured?

images.jpg

what these ones? no i got them from craigslist...........

It was tested.com's SDCC party, which was open to their premium members and the general public from what I understand.
Well there's your problem!

I commend Adam for having so much trust in people, but with so much expensive stuff in one place, and hardly any security there (or so I read), I can't help but feel the thief was not someone who has a significant care for props/prop making/costuming/etc. I don't think anyone that is a participating member from communities such as RPF would do Adam like that. Not everyone understands the hobby and the people who care for it. So I'd like thinking it was just an opportunist who stole what it knew it could get away with. Unfortunate it happened.

I don't think the stone will pop up on ebay any time soon. It'd be asking to get caught since the internet is watching. I hope I'm wrong. I'd want Adam to address the missing stone in a tested video or something, but honestly something like that may only make the thief feel very bad for his actions and return it, or hold onto it longer. if it watches the video.

Stealing is never ok. There's no justification for it... unless you're Robin Hood, and I doubt whoever stole it did so with the intent of feeding starving children in 3rd world countries.

untitled.png

I found this image on the net, saying it is a set of Azuma's Sankara stones. As each one is unique, comparing the remaining two Savage stones should tell us which one is missing.

Prop Thiefs: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Kidding aside. Adam, sorry to hear this news. Sucks man.

We're all gonna keep our eyes out for ya. I really, really hope you get it back.

And this is why you can't have (or make) nice things!! I hope you find them personally... trapped in an alley... at night! You could test out some "Incendiary Stuff" on them with the Mythbusters "Thieving Bastards" edition.

Best of luck Adam!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back