Adam Savage's Sankara Stones are Missing!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Yeats, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Yeats

Yeats Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Garyoldman49

Garyoldman49 New Member

thats not cool... :(

3. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Absolutely horrendous that someone would even think to steal from a guy like Adam.

I sincerely hope it was just misplaced and it turns up, but if it was indeed stolen I'll definitely keep an eye out for the scumnag if he/she tries to sell it.

4. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is why you don't take your stuff anywhere. Another lesson to be dictated and filed away under "You don't know people", subsection "Scumbags".

STEALTH, Shataan and Wes R like this.
  5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whoever stole them needs to be caught and whipped 40 times with a Morgan!

6. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This sucks... I think this has gone the way of Ernie Hudson's gb2 jumpsuit... Keep an eye out on the prop black market

sorry to hear Adam, hope they bust this sucker and they don't go lightly on him

7. 213ardj

213ardj Jr Member

That sucks im a huge a savage fan

8. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really? And probably a fellow collector in the community? Are these prop parties closed to only a select group? I hope they can track these down.

9. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It wasn't really a prop party per se. It was tested.com's SDCC party, which was open to their premium members and the general public from what I understand. Adam had a lot of his stuff on display there as he did last year.

10. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

This is absolutely horrifying. Why somebody would steal another mans rocks is beyond me.

11. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just out of curiousity: is there more info about the origins of these stones? Did Adam made them himself, or did they come from a run here or on the COW? Are they production mad?

12. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From the alternate picture Adam posted it looks like stones from on of Azuma's run a few years ago.
    If they are, it's going to be very hard to track them on the secondary market.

13. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Wow this is really crappy!! Adam was gracious enough to throw a party, invite everyone, and show off some of his props, and this is how the favor was returned. Sorry Adam, I hope they are found soon.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  14. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

That's so bad. Very sorry to hear a story like that.

15. havoc92

havoc92 New Member

If it wasn't just a mistake/misunderstanding (doubtful) maybe when caught, this guy should have his likeness built in
    3d and dumped on the modding community to import into fallout so we can hit him with mini-nukes to our hearts content?
    Just a thought. One, two, Five...

16. Jintosh

Jintosh Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We need Indiana Jones. He recovered the stones the first time !!!!

:p

17. TomVDJ

I can't see how this could be a mistake / misunderstanding... If it are Azuma stones, then indeed it would be not that easy to track them, since there are quite a few of these out there... But all of them are a bit different, off course. Adam posted some pretty good pictures of his. There won't be a set that is exactly like that one, so in theorie it is tracable if these are sold somewhere...

18. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm keeping an eye out on eBay, you never know this thief was stupid enough to steal them, he may be dumb enough to try and sell it on eBay

JJ Griffin likes this.
  19. Yeats

Yeats Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Surveillance cameras at all in the area?
    Escalate to SDPD if not done yet, this is likely grand theft given the value.

swgeek likes this.
  21. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

I absolutely hate thieves.

If it isn't yours, keep you meat hooks off of it. Period.

22. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've always equated stealing props to stealing the Mona Lisa. You can steal it but who are you going to tell? You certainly can't display it, brag about or share with your friends. And now you live in fear that it might accidentally get photographed and pics posted on the web. So, honestly, what's the point. You certainly can't sell it. And at the end of the day if the prop community finds out, start looking for a new hobby.

Reelo, YenChih Lin, mugatu and 2 others like this.
  23. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

time to start imbedding RFID chips in your props.

helpfulnerd likes this.
  24. robn1

robn1 Master Member

This is the #1 suspect.
    289px-Mola_ram.jpg

Stoney, ecl, p51 and 2 others like this.
  25. SenseiFetter

SenseiFetter Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Invariably someone will talk to someone else about "their epic heist". I just hope the persone who hears the story from this scumbag will have the human decency and balls to turn him/her in. Stealing from others just flat out * me off!

26. asavage

asavage Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would accept the return of the stone with no questions asked. I'm pretty sure that someone just got really drunk and was trying to impress their date. Sad though as this was from Azuma's run, and I loved having the complete set (only one was missing).

27. paddyfritz

paddyfritz New Member

That sucks. Adam comes across as a really good guy too.

28. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This sucks Adam, I hope they make their way back to you, or maybe Azuma would ship you a new set for free. That would be cool.

29. Teddz

Teddz Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This breaks my heart. I hope the stone finds it's way back to you Adam.

Is there anything on the stone that could make it easier to identify (other than the pics already posted)? Was there maybe a serial number on the bottom of it or something? Anything that even if someone were to obtain it, they would know it's in fact the Savage stone? Do any of you builders out there put serial numbers or unique identifying markers on your production runs?

30. Jintosh

Jintosh Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

(I love Mythbusters !!!!!!!!) :cool

Hi, Adam. If you are saying only one of the three stones is missing, then it would help to know which one is the missing one.

That would narrow it down to someone trying to sell one stone. We could ignore people selling sets.

31. Jedioz

Jedioz Active Member

To the person or persons unknown who took Adams Sankara stone, please return it , Adam has shared his passion with us all and has through all his outlets, been very generous with both his time and talent in prop making , it is this sort of action that may make Adam think twice about being such a large part of our community, so please do the right thing for all who have a passion for our hobby, return the stone to him.
    Thank you

swgeek and cavx like this.
  32. ed-209

ed-209 Sr Member

That guy needs to have his heart ripped out!!!

brandomack likes this.
  33. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known Member

34. JKKS

The pictures are misleading I think. The first one with the three stones is I think from the LucasFilm Archives book and those are indeed the screen used stones, the other that seems to show Adam's display features two different generations of Azuma Sankara Stones, the one on the background is an older version (I think maybe from 2012), the one on the foreground looks to be the last generation of stones from the 2014 run.

I don't know about the older runs but on the last one Azuma put a sticker with a unique number on the bottom of the led unit. So maybe that could be used to track the stone.

35. bolsoncerrado

Images aside, they dont use the word replica anywhere on the text, but "original" and "used prop", "rare" and "valuable" throroughly...

36. JKKS

Wouldn't be the first time we'd see people reporting on prop related stuff jumping to conclusions.
    Adam himself never used the words "original" or "screen used". He called the stone(s) rare which would apply to Azuma's that have always been made available in very limited quantities.

37. davidJurassic

davidJurassic Active Member

This is awful Adam. My heart goes out to you as a fellow collector, I would be so mad if this happened to one of my prized pieces.

I really hope you recover the replica soon. Some things just cannot be replaced.

38. Luke Skyvader

Luke Skyvader Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You need all three stones for that.

39. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm sure they'll find them, Adam's pretty high profile so someone'll brag. I think it's time Tested stops opening events to the public and sticks to the premium members or get better security. This stuff should be in display cases with loud alarms.

40. TomVDJ

The first pic in the article indeed is a picture from the "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" book... And original or not, it stays a terrible act to take these... I also hope that these pop up on eBay or something, and they can be identified. I really hope the seller is not a member here... :s

41. Java

Java Sr Member

Not to take away from the Topic, but I did this for helmets I used to make. It was an attempt to make the items unique and identifiable (and discourage re-casts). It was easy to do and very inexpensive.

I hope you get your stones back, Adam.

42. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

I dont understand people at all. I really dont.

43. alchemy42

alchemy42 New Member

Wow...saw this on Twitter. Upsets me. Adam is a very cool guy and just wants to share his love of movies (and the props found within), and some dufus swipes something.

I hope it doesn't dissuade Adam from having another party, cuz someday I'll get back to the SDCC and I'll want to go AND NOT STEAL SOMETHING!!!!.

44. collectorshype

collectorshype New Member

The initial information was misleading and I inaccurately reported it as the "real deal" as opposed to a replica. I was in a rush to get the word out my bad and my apologies...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    bolsoncerrado likes this.
  45. asavage

asavage Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll get the other two stones back and be able to figure out which one is missing next weekend. I'm traveling for MB this week and Norm is still driving home with all the stuff. Only one stone was missing (someone also took the Han Solo out of the hand of Frank Ippolito's insanely beautiful Rankor costume). We had 900 people in that club. Deadmau5 was playing. It was insane.
    I have tweets from people who were filming the Deadmau5 set that saw all three stones at 12:30am. I heard about the missing stone an hour later. I'll photograph my two stones and look at my archives to figure out who went rogue. Does Azuma still make them?

46. Foe Hammer

Foe Hammer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Reminds me of when the MR Luke ROTJ V2 prototype disappeared from a prop party years ago. Hopefully your stone will find a similar fate and just show up in the mail with an apology note.

47. bolsoncerrado

Adam,

As I just told you in Twitter, I feel your pain, you can have one of ours if yours does not pop in once ExpoSyFy concludes, if you wish.

Sean, brandomack and swgeek like this.
  48. TomVDJ

I guess Azuma might be able to get a replacement? If not, Restaurajones is doing a run of INCREDIBLE light up stones at this moment. Based on the pics, these must be as great as Azuma's...

brandomack and Contec like this.
  49. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Saw this on Facebook and my heart dropped. I feel awful for Adam, who is so open and outgoing about props, prop making, and the hobby as a community. I sincerely hope this doesn't sour him on sharing his collection with fans. More so, I hope he gets them back and the thief is arrested.

swgeek likes this.
  50. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member