AAV Drop Ship

It is very refreshing seeing something brand new vs seeing yet another copy of a studio Red 5 (no disrespect to those who love to get an accurate X-Wing, but that is a whole other discipline).

The freedom of building what you want is very nice, especially with your skillset where you can make it happen

It is very refreshing seeing something brand new vs seeing yet another copy of a studio Red 5 (no disrespect to those who love to get an accurate X-Wing, but that is a whole other discipline).

The freedom of building what you want is very nice, especially with your skillset where you can make it happen

Thanks, Analyzer-san, you are right!
In either way we still have pure fun of craft something by hands.

I'm going to build a wing structure and set those nacelles this week.
And I guess it's a bit early but I will consider the Marine Corps fictional unit that operates this aircraft and its unit insignia and motto. I guess the motto in Latin is good, but I would like to ask you for your help once I have fixed on the idea.

katsu

I made a structure of the wing.
Dihedral angle is 9 degrees and I have set these nacelles to the wing tip.

M9sCPfj.jpg

WBoUkyh.jpg

p3cX5dJ.jpg

4yjDmGC.jpg

NQ3kA7d.jpg

I'm gonna add a pair of flaps and flap actuators on a trailing edges.
I want to try to build a double slotted flap but, huum... it will be too much to me.

Thank you for looking,

katsu

^Nothing we’ve been privileged to share in so far regarding your build threads, leads me to believe anything is beyond your skills my multi-talented friend !
So, please remember - to paraphrase a line from a favourite film of mine ... “if you build it, they will come .” ;) (Admirers of your work)

Ged

^Nothing we’ve been privileged to share in so far regarding your build threads, leads me to believe anything is beyond your skills my multi-talented friend !
So, please remember - to paraphrase a line from a favorite film of mine ... “if you build it, they will come .” ;) (Admirers of your work)

Ged

I'm embarrassed but thanks, Ged-san,
You always cheer me up.

Looks great!

Thank you !! Analyzer-san.

Looking excellent!

Thank you! Korben-san. I need your help soon.

I bet more than a few engineers at Mitsubishi or Kawasaki would be drooling if you showed them the finished model.

Thanks, Tom-san, I try my best to fly her to the destination.

Amazing engineering work here, Katsu-San! The multiple degrees of freedom of the nacelles is superb!

Thank you, g0rb-san, This was one of a little mile stone but I'm so happy that I could bring her here.

Thank you very much for your support, my friends.

Today, I did a small metal works to connect the nacelles strongly.
Because I have been afraid that if I give it poor job on the connecting point it might even torn off sooner or later.

dVZOV3a.jpg

This metal piece is made of 1 mm thick aluminum sheet and be fixed on a nacelle with four screws and hold the hinge with claw.

yf3fkYu.jpg

YQB0Hap.jpg

This is the view from the nose.
I designed this arrangement to avoid the jet wash of front engines interfere the aft engines.
I checked several picture of those quad duct fan engine aircraft. Most of all was designed opposing to mine. unlike mine, front wing is short span. But it's OK with me, my baby carries multi tons AAV and armed with many bomb and rockets under its front wing.
55mhpgF.jpg

Although I haven't named this aircraft yet but, a few day ago,
I drew a rough sketch of the insignia of the fictional squadron of US Marine Corps.

This is one of the Japanese God of nature, 'Rai-jin' 雷神 God of thunder.
Red body, golden hair and wearing a tiger striped pants.
He grabs a pair of drum stick and beats the drums above him.
It's the sound of thunder.
I drew four drums to symbolize quad engines.
And coincidentally he drops a ' Rai-jyu' - Thunder beast - at a battle.

When I was a kid, my mother used to told me 'Don't take a nap with bare belly. Or Kaminari-san will come to stole your navel'.
So, I could survive the hot summer days without having a stomach ache. Kaminari-san (Kaminari-sama - Mr.Thunder) also means Raijin . Sounds very similar with Kami-san which means wife. No big difference.

5CJ7yr2.jpg

Above is the pics of 'Rai-jyu' 雷獣. 'Rai' 雷 means thunder, jyu 獣 means beast.
I guess you know 'Kai-jyu' 怪獣 like 'Godzila'. Kai 怪means unknown, suspicious and scary.
Rai-jyu has six legs. It might give me some inspiration for the AAV or AFV design later.

So the squadron name of nose art will be RAIJINS.

Help me Koben44-san, are those squadrons operate these aircraft called VF-### or VFA-### ? Or some other proper name?

Thanks for looking.

katsu

Last edited:
Very cool nose art and name!

Help me Koben44-san, are those squadrons operate these aircraft called VF-### or VFA-### ? Or some other proper name?

Thanks for looking.

katsu

I could be wrong, but I believe as far as the Navy's VFA designation, "V" stands for fixed wing, "F" stands for fighter, and "A" stands for attack.

So basically, VFA is used to denote a "Fighter Attack Squadron". When I built my 1/72 FA-18C , it had the VFA designation for example

According to this, the new Naval Osprey is under "Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission" (VRM)

of course that is the Navy

Here is one for the Marines

Again fixed-wing aircraft squadrons and tiltrotor squadrons are denoted by the letter "V", which comes from the Spanish verb "volar" (to fly). Rotary wing (helicopter) squadrons use "H." Marine squadrons are always noted by the second letter "M."

Thus in Korben's response, the "VM" for the Osprey compared to the "VR" used by the Navy?

And likewise the Navy attack squadron's being "VFA" vs the Marine's being "VMA"?

I could be wrong, but I believe as far as the Navy's VFA designation, "V" stands for fixed wing, "F" stands for fighter, and "A" stands for attack.

So basically, VFA is used to denote a "Fighter Attack Squadron". When I built my 1/72 FA-18C , it had the VFA designation for example

According to this, the new Naval Osprey is under "Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission" (VRM)

Again fixed-wing aircraft squadrons and tiltrotor squadrons are denoted by the letter "V", which comes from the Spanish verb "volar" (to fly). Rotary wing (helicopter) squadrons use "H." Marine squadrons are always noted by the second letter "M."

Thus in Korben's response, the "VM" for the Osprey compared to the "VR" used by the Navy?

And likewise the Navy attack squadron's being "VFA" vs the Marine's being "VMA"?

That's the military and acronyms for you...lol...

Where do they get the 'V'? Because it looks like a fixed wing vehicle? lol You'd think it'd be MMTS...

VMM is an abbreviation for Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron

Where do they get the 'V'? Because it looks like a fixed wing vehicle? lol You'd think it'd be MMTS...

Supposedly the "V" was for the Spanish verb "volar" (to fly). But I suspect it's Latin roots would make more sense From Latin volāre, present active infinitive of volō (“I fly”).

Of course they use something more sensible like "H" for the helicopters sqaudrons :D

I love the logo - very fitting! - and even as a bare skeleton the front view looks amazing.

Thanks, Tom-san. Now I'm wondering how I should fix the wing span and angle of tail fan nacelles. :unsure:

Katsu-san,

The Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron which operates the MV-22 Osprey uses the designation VMM-***. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much, korben44-san!

Huum, it's getting complicated. Thanks for the info!

“Kaminari-san = Mr.Thunder”
&
“Kami-san = wife..., No big difference !?” :lol::lol::lol:

Katsu-san, you’re brave :oops:

Maybe I should change the squad name as Daredevil. :eek:

Oh, I got it.

Supposedly the "V" was for the Spanish verb "volar" (to fly). But I suspect it's Latin roots would make more sense From Latin volāre, present active infinitive of volō (“I fly”).

Of course they use something more sensible like "H" for the helicopters sqaudrons :D

It's very academic..

Wow! Another inspirational build. Excellent work as usual.

Thank you very much, Revolver99-san.

Koben-san, Analyzer-san,
Thanks for the detailed info.

If the Marine's soldiers are on-board any amphibious assault ship like Wasp or Iwo-jima and they have ordered to embark any distant island coast, In that case, are they delivered by Naval aircraft/crew or Marine's one? Is it usual thing that Naval aircraft and Marine's aircraft are mixed loaded on a single ship?

Katsu

I got a notification about the reply of koben44-san via inter net mail but it seems something went wrong at this moment.
koben-san, Thank you very much for the quick reply.
I'got it crystal clear!

-quote-
The US Marine Corps is a division of the Navy. Marines rely on Naval ships for transport across the oceans, so it is not uncommon for Navy and Marine Corps vehicles to be on the same aircraft carrier. Marines do have their own helicopters, planes, etc., so the would be transported from the carrier to their destination by Marine Corps troop transports. Your vehicle would definitely by a Marine transport owned and marked by the Marines.
-unquote-

Thanks again!
katsu

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back