AAV Drop Ship

Coming along real nice.
Are you close to finished?
Thats always that bittersweet feeling when done. Glad you finished.....but.....at the same time, it can be fun to work on...sometimes.
Other times, I'm just SO ready to get the project finished.
Thanks!
This vehicle will be finished soon but I got to get back to the dropship and fix it to fit this vehicle.
That takes a lot I guess.

You should have seen my eyes light up when I saw the turret, just after wondering what the semicircular gap was for...

So does it elevate to provide a 360 degree firing arc, and retract for transport?

Looking more and more complete Katsu-san (y) (y) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: For coils, I used springs that I stretch and paint...you could experiment with various springs (thickness and sizes);)

The interior looks like a movie set. Great job!

Thank you for stopping by, SCUDMAN-san!

You should have seen my eyes light up when I saw the turret, just after wondering what the semicircular gap was for...

So does it elevate to provide a 360 degree firing arc, and retract for transport?
:oops:!...:unsure:...:D

Looking more and more complete Katsu-san (y) (y) :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: For coils, I used springs that I stretch and paint...you could experiment with various springs (thickness and sizes);)
Thank you, joberg-san. This time I used a 0.3 mm wire covered with black vinyl coating. I wrapped around the thin steel rod.

Looks great with the turret and hatch covers!

Thank you!

Actually, I haven't think about the pop-up and elevating function for the turret until I read Tom-san's comment.
I thought it's interesting. The turret needs to elevate more than 20 mm and hold still at that place. Also, it needs to rotate 360 degrees. It may need appropriate friction on the axis of elevation and rotation.

Look around and seek for something I could use as usual.
Water pipe, aluminum pipe, and O-rings.

rEMNzPf.jpg

I had cut them up and engraved a pair of the trench around for the O-rings.

dFGuFRO.jpg

And put them on a turret basis.

ZPjwebC.jpg

This turret will be a bit more complicated in shape later.

SHFfcc5.jpg

kRtAVwk.jpg

Poping up and rotate in good friction.

CIFdl18.jpg

That was really fun to build. Thank you Tom-san!

katsu

Amphibian is fitting. Katsu did install two prop drives for going through water. Big tires help it float and provide high speed on land. Smaller ones provide great torque for heavy loads. And with reaction thrusters it can fly or at least fall with style. That turret can spit fire - maybe a flame thrower would be a fitting secondary. A highly evolved critter this is!
Did I just describe a dragon?

I'm really rubbish at keeping up to date...but all kinds of brilliance since I last looked...birthday greetings, great blossom and fantastic looking windshield :love:

I have NO doubt that once you started playing with it, you would have come to the same conclusion.

Thank you, Tom-san. It has been complicated and stressful work till now. Designing, Fixing the fixtures, and wiring for lighting.
To play with the detailing and decorating is always fun. :D

Seeing the shape of the front, it makes me think that it could also be amphibian(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy:

Thank you! That what I intended to show. :love:

Amphibian is fitting. Katsu did install two prop drives for going through water. Big tires help it float and provide high speed on land. Smaller ones provide great torque for heavy loads. And with reaction thrusters it can fly or at least fall with style. That turret can spit fire - maybe a flame thrower would be a fitting secondary. A highly evolved critter this is!
Did I just describe a dragon?

Yes, Hagothg-san. I'm thinking about the container of the parachutes and landing thruster. Also, I'm thinking about the design of the dropship nose section. I am thinking that maybe the 'Gator' I build many years ago would be one of the ideas.

I'm really rubbish at keeping up to date...but all kinds of brilliance since I last looked...birthday greetings, great blossom and fantastic looking windshield :love:

Thank you so much, Chuffy-san!

This time I am going to put a 40mm automatic cannon as the main weapon. So the flame thrower is almost identical in shape to the main gun. So, I decided to put a 5-barrel Gatling gun as a sub-weapon.

This time, I want a shroud- is this a right word?- around the barrels.
The cylinder with many holes around it. Smaller one and a large one.

I made a smaller one with drilling holes on a tube. That was so difficult to make a hole in a straight line.
So I had to make it much longer than I needed and pick up a fair part.

ivVEQT6.jpg

I made a large one in a different way.

cgPa7Ux.jpg

Drilling holes was easy but to curl it to the cylinder was a job.

wLI4Uir.jpg

I really hate drilling holes in the precise spots.
At the moment like this, I really think I wish I had a 3D printer.:unsure:

jZSDz8Y.jpg

With a barrel of 40mm cannon.

AKRY6tX.jpg

f535Ja9.jpg

It took 4 and half hours.

OK, I made up my mind!
I am gonna put up cloud funding!
Target amount: $ 800.

Donator will have a right to get my sincere gratitude.:notworthy:
If anything, subject to stock, I will attach my wife's gratitude also.:notworthy::notworthy:

...Nevermind

Thanks for looking!

katsu.

Those are some very cool looking guns! Both methods for the shrouds came out looking great. And a wicked looking 40mm that is!
PM me back Katsu-san.

Those are some very cool looking guns! Both methods for the shrouds came out looking great. And a wicked looking 40mm that is!
PM me back Katsu-san.

Thanks and your PM sent me was AWESOME!! We all should share that!

Talk about labor intensive!

Those guns are perfect though!

Thank you so much! That was sweet labor!

Great work on the barrels. And "shroud" is exactly the right word.

Thank you, Tom-san!

Continuing to build

EXlUnwq.jpg

RJ5g3HM.jpg

D0eiv2t.jpg

ZjChcNi.jpg

Y2jkYnH.jpg

sZc63y5.jpg

pqXTgnc.jpg

tRNjGtv.jpg

A few more detailing and will be done.

Thanks for looking!

katsu

Love the turret! Wow, that looks really cool! I've noticed that wall anchor sleeves make really good gun tips and bombs in your projects. ;)

Oh, and a wicked looking 40mm shell lying there.

One detail suggestion comes to mind. After the turret pops up an armor shield for the post needs to swing around from the back to protect the hydraulic lift. Could be as simple as a concentric half circle against the back turret well wall that spins around center post. Basically a double half cylinder wall.

Last edited:
And per the request of Katsu-san, and with his blessing, here is the story surrounding the AAV developing in my head... I hope you all enjoy it.

A day in the life of an AAV trooper​

Eight. Eight yellow lines around the access hatch. There were always eight. It never changed, but I counted them anyway. I counted again picking the lower left corner as my starting point. Still eight.

This was the first time being carried by the latest version of the VTOL drop ship. It had a new cockpit on it. Side by side pilots instead of tandem. New deployment configuration as well, never tested in actual combat before. Why was I thinking about that? Nothing to worry about. It was state of the art. Over two years in development was plenty of time to work out bugs and train crews. I counted the yellow stripes again. Eight.

I took a glance across the AAV and my eyes rested on private Hagoth “Hicks”, sound asleep as usual. That guy could sleep anywhere but once awake he was all business. Kind of like a solid state function wave. One or zero. On or off. Nothing in between. He got the nick name from the movie character Hicks in Aliens who was always asleep. The name stuck during a system test where our co-driver had deployed the SNART rack without opening the rear doors of the AAV first. I chuckled out loud at the memory. “Hicks” had slept through the entire thing. Engineers had since fixed the system so that SNART deployment could not be engaged until the rear doors open and clear signal had been received.

We had lost our driver on the previous mission. The co-driver was now the designated driver. She and our new co-driver were playing rock paper scissors. Was that the two min to deployment signal or had the co-driver just won the game… again? There, platoon leader Katsu relayed the two min to deployment signal. I guess it was both since the co-driver was laughing about her buying the beer when we returned. Time to get ready. “Someone wake up Hicks!” came the standard shout. Laughter. It was like a ritual. Eight yellow lines. Still eight lines. I checked that my body armor was powered and up-linked. The indicator lights blinked yellow and then green as my projection shields selected a direction and distance. Gun was ready. Information from the target tracking displays above me was already downloaded. All I had to do was point and sweep and keep moving fast. The soft targets wouldn’t stand a chance. Hard targets would be dealt with accordingly until neutralized. As a spearhead I would be one of the first to deploy. I would draw much of the enemy fire for the squad. If my image projection shield was angled properly the initial shots would miss. The sources of the incoming fire would rarely get a second chance.

What were the dropship pilots doing? Probably busy flying the VTOL drop ship. Still I always wondered what was going through their minds. About 20 seconds before touch down the drop ship would start laying down cover fire from the twin 20 mm tail turrets and the massive nose mounted 30mm armor busting cannon. Maybe at this point they were selecting targets and a good landing spot? Neutralized targets and the positions of the remaining would update accordingly for my own weapon. The AI controlling the target engagement sequence for the squad was amazingly efficient and adaptive.

The massive explosion rocked the ship. Hard. That would leave a mark. The entire front half of the drop ship was missing. “Hicks” was a wake now, if he hadn’t been before. I could see the ground framed in jagged burning metal spinning crazily through the front windows of the AAV. We were starting to roll over. Our drivers sprang into action. They were well trained. We had never failed to reach our designated drop point before. This time it would take a bit of driving to get there. We were still about a mile away from ground zero.

Instantly our driver reached up and pulled the release lever. The AAV blasted loose from the shattered drop ship and we began a free fall. Stabilization nozzles fired in rapid sequence from the four reaction points righting our roll and keeping us level. Drag shuts would deploy shortly to slow our fall. There was the popping sound indicating deployment and the sudden jerk from them opening. We were still falling fast. Didn’t want to be a floating target drifting on the wind. Jump rockets would fire about 200 feet from the ground to further cushion our landing. The rockets roared to life throwing my stomach towards my feet. Wow, we had not been far from the ground when we got hit. The crescendo increased at the last second as the AAV drive shocks absorbed the final touchdown. We were on solid ground. Immediately the small high torque wheels kicked in to start us moving. The larger high speed wheels would take over for high speed travel across the terrain. If we came to a trench or even a small cliff up to several times the height of the vehicle the jump rockets would assist in crossing or dropping us down. I could hear them firing and judging by the view out the windows we were going down a mountain side. The light of the moon was reflecting off a large lake and we were headed straight into it, at full speed.

The front jump rockets fired lifting the nose of the AAV slightly just as we hit the water. I could hear the twin drive props spin up to full speed. Then the sudden resistance in our forward movement as we became fully water born. The large tires used for high speed on land now doubled as floatation assistance but also caused some drag even while spinning to help reduce it. The tire water shields would not be deployed in this case. Those were used for high speed assaults from deep water and would remain folded up on the sides where they acted as additional armor plating.

The AAV began to take hits. The thick armor was holding up. I could hear the hydraulic cylinder hiss as the turret popped up into its 360 firing arc position. Almost immediately the turrets 40 mm cannon opened up. With a firing rate of 180 shells a min it could really spit fire. I watched targets on the display screens wink out as the cannon fire found its mark. The coaxial 20 mm cannon would take out softer targets once the immediate hard targets were neutralized.

The jump rockets fired briefly as we bounced onto the shore and the high torque drive wheels kicked in with a whine. 100 yards or so to go and we would be at our designated deployment point. The turret cannons were laying down a withering cover fire with tracers spraying across the field of vision out the windscreen. The AAV would take a hard turn to the right and then the doors would open and the SNART would deploy allowing a seamless deployment of our squad in sequence from both sides of the AAV. Here came the turn. The grinding of the tires from the hard breaking action. The sequence was drilled into all of us, like a ritual. Our driver reached for the button to open the doors and hesitated briefly, then slammed the right button to open the doors. Time to do our job.

Eight. Eight yellow lines. There were always eight.

Wow, fire power on that one for sure o_O (y) (y) Question Katsu-san: will it still fit under the main drop ship with that big Mother turret?

Love the turret! Wow, that looks really cool! I've noticed that wall anchor sleeves make really good gun tips and bombs in your projects. ;)

Oh, and a wicked looking 40mm shell lying there.

One detail suggestion comes to mind. After the turret pops up an armor shield for the post needs to swing around from the back to protect the hydraulic lift. Could be as simple as a concentric half circle against the back turret well wall that spins around center post. Basically a double half cylinder wall.
Oh, I see. Let me see what I can do. Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back