A Stylized MAG - A Scratch Build - Almost Complete

Re: A Stylized MAG Build

I got a call from the laser cutter today. It should be about $20 for the letters. The sizes needed to be scaled down a fair bit, but hopefully I will have these by the end of the week to be glued on to the Heel Cup ready for the first Vac Form.

Thanks to the many talented people here at RPF, I finally learned how to draw an image in SketchUp using an imported JPEG.

The original image.
attachment.php

And the side profile I was able to create for the start of a pattern.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Is this a final version and ready to be used, or is it still a work in progress?
Still a work in progress. Though I see no reason why you could use this to make a start. The beauty of this pattern is that it can be scaled to ANY size. It is currently scaled to fit my foot, but was about 3m long when I first drew it.

I am thinking that in order to create a 3D model that can be unwrapped, I will have to build this up in layers (think contours like on a map). This means that I have to build two sides of the shoe. Left and right duplication is easy once the model is built.

Did you know many Nike mag high quality pictures are actually 3d models? Now THAT would be a nice model to gain access to! :)

Don't you mean "couldn't"? That must have been a typo.

Umm, yeah your right, a typo :$

Did you know many Nike mag high quality pictures are actually 3d models? Now THAT would be a nice model to gain access to! :)

Mine is taking time because the whilst the curvature at the back looks great, I have got to add it in at the sides as well. Not so easy. Anyway, I honestly think I have been over thinking this. For years, people have made shoes and boots from flat 2D patterns. Why do I even need a 3D model?

I have yet to test this, but I think that a large square piece of card stock could be used to create the complete template with the two seams required. I would have to cut out the shoe shape just to the end of the lace section. All of the complex curvature at the back will self form when the shape is stitched. From there, copy that out to the material to be used. Off to find some card stock.

Any shots of the laser cut decals yet? How did that turn out for you?

No he didn't get back to me. I'll chase him up on Monday for this. Now that I know how to make patterns from importing images, I can tweak this if need be or start again if not happy with the result.

I also need some HIPS to make my first Vac Forms of the Ankle Buckle and Heel Cups so I can fill them with plaster to make new bucks for the letters to be laid on and a new master pull with the letting.

It is just time and money, money and time :cool

Do you plan on making the cups sit lower on the back sole where it would require a little cutting of the sole or will it be from where the sole starts? Over thinking is always my best friend...and worst enemy lol ! An easy way to make a shoe pattern is to take tissue paper and lay onto the shoe and trace it with a poem but also take into consideration you're tracing from the outside which I'm thinking will make the pattern of a slightly larger shoe. Eventually when I get a sewing machine I want to make new uppers from wet suit material using my current foam parts sooooo is like I'm making a "good enough for now" mag with upgrade possibilities :lol

Do you plan on making the cups sit lower on the back sole where it would require a little cutting of the sole or will it be from where the sole starts?

I've extended the base a bit so it should sit about 1/4 inch over onto the sole. So rather than cutting the sole, this simply gives the appearance the sole has been cut. Like a reverse to your toe build up. In the end the of the day, it is the look we want. How we get that doesn't really matter.

An easy way to make a shoe pattern is to take tissue paper and lay onto the shoe and trace it with a poem but also take into consideration you're tracing from the outside which I'm thinking will make the pattern of a slightly larger shoe. Eventually when I get a sewing machine I want to make new uppers from wet suit material using my current foam parts sooooo is like I'm making a "good enough for now" mag with upgrade possibilities :lol

I actually have an over-locker, just no idea how to thread the thing.

Designing the soles for the uppers has been a challenge to say the least. Partially this is because the human body is not the easiest thing to reproduce due to the off shapes. After many fails, I decided the best way to plan the soles for the new upper would be to find an image of a pair of feet (the actual soles) on the net, import those into Sketch Up and trace them. I could then scale them to the any size I need.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've only done one because I can simply flip the shape to make the other.

I like that with working on the shoes, there are many mediums to bounce to when you start getting tired of working on the same part every day! Sculpting, sketching, fabric work and of course cursing! :lol

I like that with working on the shoes, there are many mediums to bounce to when you start getting tired of working on the same part every day! Sculpting, sketching, fabric work and of course cursing! :lol
Haven't been doing much of the last one though :)

UPDATE: Picked these up today :)

attachment.php

This is actually the back of the art work which I reversed (and resized) in Paint for posting here. The front looks nicer. It just has tape holding it together and I didn't want to remove that just yet.

He actually made me two sets, this one which is 3mm Perspex and a 2nd set on a clear and flexible 2mm material.

Pretty good for just $5.50 :lol

I also scored a heap of 2mm HIPS and some PVC cut into 600mm x 600mm sheets for $20.00.

I my Vac Form is complete and now I can go and make my first Vac Form pull of these parts. Images coming soon :)

Anyway, moved on to some Vac Forming today with some no so good results :(

The positive is that at least the letters are now heat shaped to fit the part.

After Vac Forming my Ankle Buckle buck, I decided that I was not 100% happy with the shape, so began version 5.

attachment.php

This started out as a flat piece of 10mm Perspex that I heated to bend, then began cutting and sanding to make the shape it is now.

Still some work to do.

fantastic, it looks great.

what was wrong with the other vac forming? is it too hard to wrap around a curved piece or something?

PS, do you know what the name of fabric is called that is being used at the back of the kmag tongue and inner lining? the sort of thin mesh type fabric.

DSCF3174.jpg

i need to find something similar to that, as i think its great.

or what other fabric would be good to use instead for the inner linning behind the tongue and in the shoe? for the front of tongue its easy to get and use leather or pvc leatherette, but the material behind seems more difficult to find.

on the movie shoe, it seems the entire tongue was made of a soft cotton type fabric as was the white upper part ontop of the ankle part of the shoe. Whereas the nike release last year was made from leather.

Last edited:

fantastic, it looks great.

what was wrong with the other vac forming? is it too hard to wrap around a curved piece or something?

It just didn't seem to have the right shape when I compared it to my reference shots.

attachment.php

Here is my collection of parts with the different Ankle Buckles at the front. The part on the left is more rounded and closer to the actual part, though I think the part may still be too tall.

The black parts were formed using a professional Vac Form however the plastic tore during the pull because the cavity of the buck of the Heel Cup. This unit used a proper Vacuum Pump and the plastic actually wraps around the parts like shrink wrap. Because it was sucking all the air out of the cavity, the plastic became too thin and ripped. What was amazing though is that even though the seal was now compromised, the system was still able to give great detail, though not 100%.

What I have to do is to drill some small holes on the pipe section and make an end cap so that the plastic has a hard surface to pull against. I also need to make it at a slight angle of about 3 degrees so I can get the buck out of the pulled plastic later on. You probably can not see on the front left part where I split the plastic getting the buck out.

PS, do you know what the name of fabric is called that is being used at the back of the kmag tongue and inner lining? the sort of thin mesh type fabric.

i need to find something similar to that, as i think its great.

or what other fabric would be good to use instead for the inner linning behind the tongue and in the shoe? for the front of tongue its easy to get and use leather or pvc leatherette, but the material behind seems more difficult to find.

on the movie shoe, it seems the entire tongue was made of a soft cotton type fabric as was the white upper part ontop of the ankle part of the shoe. Whereas the nike release last year was made from leather.

I think it was just cloth and why the MP shoes also use the same fabric on their tongues and cuffs.

Short of taking the shoes into a fabric shop, I don't really know how to get the actual fabric as explaining it may be a challenge.

Even thought the Vac Pull of the 5th version of the Ankle Buckle was not perfect, I decided to cut it out anyway and see what I need to do to improve this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Overall I think the part looks good. I just need to fill in the cavities on the buck to get a better finish on the edges.

Had some time today to have another play on the Vac Form, this time using a PVC. And after a quick trim the Ankle Buckle in white.

attachment.php

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back