shpider

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A comparison of Idols... The attached images show the differences in size and shape of all the idols in my collection... I'm missing some significant Idols, the "Gobler Idol" and the Sideshow Idol instantly come to mind... and probably DarkMatter Props' offering, although I have their ½ size idol in there... I included a couple of "fun ones" too...

I tried my best to keep the images consistent... I put my iPhone on a tripod and used a remote to take the pictures so the angle / distance / settings would all be the same... I did noticed a couple of issues when editing... My RelicMaker Belloq is either extremely dusty, or I hit it with some fullers earth at some point, or it's some weirdness with that particular reflective surface and my iPhone... It's shiny in person... I also noticed the ToyNK idol wasn't properly tilted forward... It has a weird base to it... The only way to fix this will be to reshoot everything again... If I end up doing so, I will probably raise the camera up an inch or two... I took 4 images of each (Front, back, left, right)...

A note on one of the idols... The "Downtown LA" Idol... I dont know much about it, other than the person I bought it from said their son purchased it in 2008 in a store in Downtown Los Angeles (I acquired it in 2018)... I have never seen another like it... It has a special place in my heart, as I like the idea of a Jade Idol as the inspiration for the Raiders Idol is made of Jade... Side bonus, it glows in the dark !

Extremely high quality images can be found here : Idol Comparison - Google Drive

Idol Lineup - No Rulers - Smaller.jpg

Idol Lineup with Ruler - Small.jpg

Full Idol Comparison - Small.jpg

Last edited:
I’m very happy with my Dark Matters one. Although not SA in a few ways, I think they did a great job on the color and making it look somewhat aged without losing the shiny look of the prop. Btw, if you can’t tell, I’m in the middle of building a display so all my props are bunched up on the floor. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 33CFC823-2E24-4CB8-A4E6-0D23824C67DF.jpeg
    33CFC823-2E24-4CB8-A4E6-0D23824C67DF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
  • D4D85431-5AE1-4E78-87BC-73D040F13A88.jpeg
    D4D85431-5AE1-4E78-87BC-73D040F13A88.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 162
  • 600032CC-203F-494B-BB8E-E7844A07630B.jpeg
    600032CC-203F-494B-BB8E-E7844A07630B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 0321F321-50E9-43C7-927A-31DF34DABEFD.jpeg
    0321F321-50E9-43C7-927A-31DF34DABEFD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
The Dark Matter Props idol is nice. I'm happy with mine. It looked like the most ideal option when I compared the details of it to the others in the same price range (Disney and Toynk specifically). The shape of the mouth looks more like RelicMaker's without the drastic curl on the corners.

I have a comparison between the Dark Matter and Landron Artifacts idol display bases if any one is interested.

IMG_20220628_204812__01__01.jpg
IMG_20220628_204457__01__01__01.jpg

A comparison of Idols... The attached images show the differences in size and shape of all the idols in my collection... I'm missing some significant Idols, the "Gobler Idol" and the Sideshow Idol instantly come to mind... and probably DarkMatter Props' offering, although I have their ½ size idol in there... I included a couple of "fun ones" too...

I tried my best to keep the images consistent... I put my iPhone on a tripod and used a remote to take the pictures so the angle / distance / settings would all be the same... I did noticed a couple of issues when editing... My RelicMaker Belloq is either extremely dusty, or I hit it with some fullers earth at some point, or it's some weirdness with that particular reflective surface and my iPhone... It's shiny in person... I also noticed the ToyNK idol wasn't properly tilted forward... It has a weird base to it... The only way to fix this will be to reshoot everything again... If I end up doing so, I will probably raise the camera up an inch or two... I took 4 images of each (Front, back, left, right)...

A note on one of the idols... The "Downtown LA" Idol... I dont know much about it, other than the person I bought it from said their son purchased it in 2008 in a store in Downtown Los Angeles (I acquired it in 2018)... I have never seen another like it... It has a special place in my heart, as I like the idea of a Jade Idol as the inspiration for the Raiders Idol is made of Jade... Side bonus, it glows in the dark !

Extremely high quality images can be found here : Idol Comparison - Google Drive

View attachment 1603135

View attachment 1603136

View attachment 1603137
May I ask how you made the Relics dusty. Can this simply be wiped off without harming the finish? I have one and its REALLY shiny

May I ask how you made the Relics dusty. Can this simply be wiped off without harming the finish? I have one and its REALLY shiny
I’m think he bought one of RelicMakers Aged versions. That is how it was sold. I think RelicMaker said he sprayed those with a matte finish clear spray or a frosted clear spray to give it that look. You can’t wipe it clean since it was a spray.

EDIT: I just read his description, and he said he used Fullers Earth. That stuff is totally washable. You can buy some of it and put it in a plastic bag, then place your idle in the plastic bag, then shake it up. It will come out looking all dirty and dusty. And it is easily washed off should you ever want to clean it.

The Relicmaker with glass eyes (Hero) was received already aged... On the Relicmaker without eyes (Belloq), as said above, I used fullers earth aka Bentonite Clay...

This is the stuff I bought, but shop around for the cheapest... A container like this will last the rest of your life !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q96XGUU

The easiest thing to do is to take an old sock (no holes please) and dump a bunch of the fullers earth into it... Then tie it off... You now have a dauber that will instantly age anything... The nice thing is it isn't permanent... Just wipe it off if you don't like it... if you want to make it semi-permanent, hit it with some hairspray... or fully permanent use a clear matte spray... Experiment a bit to see what looks best... Using the hairspray before or after...

Library - 4 of 5.jpeg

Here is a before and after on a "Death Whistle" I just received :

Library - 1 of 5.jpeg

Library - 5 of 5.jpeg

and on some Sankara stones:

Library - 3 of 5.jpeg

Note, put on one of the 10,000 masks you have left over from covid when applying this stuff... It's best not to breathe in the dust that becomes airborne when "daubing"...

Last edited:
A belated thanks for this post - it's really useful, as I'm shopping around for one that hopefully won't break my bank. Had been looking at the Toynk version, but that list to the side is a little offputting. (Is it bad that I really like the sculpt on the glow-in-the-dark jade one? :D)

Thanks for doing those comparison photos!

Now I can ID the Idols that people brought to one of our California Jones gatherings.

(The one to far left is a plastic coin bank!)

My favourite of this group is second-right due to the realistic eyes and the lovely patina.

UT5S6p8.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back