A Clockwork Orange - bedding?

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm sure most of us have seen Kubrick's film, A Clockwork Orange. When last I saw it, I remember noticing that the bed in Alex's room had a really interesting sort of blanket on top. It looked like it was put together out of a pattern of geometric shapes, or something along those lines, if I'm remembering right. Like, literally a bunch of foam cubes sewn together - corners pointing out - and covered in fabric. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find a screenshot anywhere, and I haven't got the DVD anymore ('twas just a rental). And if you know what I'm talking about, do you have any idea if anyone's made something similar to purchase?

I guess I should put the pics back up. :lol
4623-aco1.jpg

4624-aco2.jpg

4625-aco3.jpg

4626-aco4.jpg

4627-aco5.jpg

Last edited:
It's so cool, but I wouldn't even know where to begin making my own. Just sew a bunch of Pac-man shaped things, sew the "mouth" up to turn it into a cone, and sew those all together? Or do we think there's more in the way of support structures inside, like foam or something?

It occurred to me that the patterns could have been retro pillow halves sewn together... That could account for the three colors. And if they were pillows, that would explain why the "pizza slices" appear raised (or heat-formed) and stuffed. Without enhancement, in these photos the material looks like felt.

Now let the UK retro-pillow search on eBay begin! :lol

It occurred to me that the patterns could have been retro pillow halves sewn together... That could account for the three colors. And if they were pillows, that would explain why the "pizza slices" appear raised (or heat-formed) and stuffed. Without enhancement, in these photos the material looks like felt.

Now let the UK retro-pillow search on eBay begin! :lol

Hmm..that could explain why the edges of the comforter follow the geometric shapes of the cones, rather than just cutting off on a straight line. But pillows seem unlikely to me - mostly, because in a few of those screenshots you can see one or two of the cones has been pressed in so that it's more like a shallow funnel than a cone. Y'know what I'm talking about? That implies to me that the entire cone does not have a big cone shape (or any kind of reinforcement) underneath it. I think each pizza slice is stuffed, but the cones themselves are simply held in their shape via sewing tricks.

Clockwork Orange quilt?

Tried to find the original thread someone posted but could not find it.
Has anyone tried to make Alex's Quilt from a Clockwork orange ?
If anyone has the Blu-ray version, could you please takes some caps of the quilt.

To me it looks like those orange pie shapes are sewn onto a black hexagon which is in turn also sewn together with the other hexagons
I bought myself a couple of orange polyester fleece blankets and is thinking of making this for my bed.
Cone-Quilt-a-clockwork-orange-16654212-473-324.jpg
Cone-Quilt-a-clockwork-orange-16654210-227-185.jpg
acopic11.jpg

Re: Clockwork Orange quilt?

facepalm.jpg

I DID try the search function and somehow must have skipped just that thread..:wacko Thanks

I just shown my mother these picture and she told me "you need two colour for the pie's " And i was like "No, its just orange" and then she said " no, its Yellow and only orange at the head rest"

Im a bit colour blind, and did not see the different until it was pointed out to me.
4623-aco1.jpg

Last edited:

I see three colors. Yellow, Orange, then Red Orange

or maybe its yellow, yellow-orange, then orange but it for sure goes light, medium, dark

I'm with Wolfie. Yellow at the feet, orange-yellow in the middle, and red-orange at the head. It looks to me as if the head of the quilt also has two kind of out of place hexagons. If you look at the second picture you can see how two hexagons are above and to the left of the rest respectively.

Edit: Actually there are 3 that don't fit one up and to the left and above, on in the center and above the rest, and one on the right and above.

I see three colors. Yellow, Orange, then Red Orange

or maybe its yellow, yellow-orange, then orange but it for sure goes light, medium, dark

Im sure you are right, Been staring on it after you posted and i can see it now.
It looks like the different colours are three Hexagons high on each parts.

DAMN, now i need to find more fabric and in different colours:lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back