63 inch BSG Viper

Finally started working on rough ideas for nose details. Although I have not decided on what type of materials to do the final pieces in.
DSC04219.jpg

DSC04221.jpg

DSC04224.jpg

Thanks all for looking,

Last edited:
Thanks all. I decided to mill / machine the parts from some scrap aluminum I had. Should have some photos soon. Thanks again for looking

Small up date. Started roughing out some parts to get an idea of what will work. Still need to fine tune things.
DSC04235_zps6dfc9eed.jpg

DSC04234_zps51395557.jpg

Oh my...i think i am going to pass out....its getting dark, feeling lightheaded....uhhhh..............................................................................

That looks sweet. In the last pic is that a piezio speaker housing?

If your looking at the round grey part on the wood plate. That’s a section of tank deck from a donor model kit.

Everything is at the test fit stage right now. I have a bad habit of making and fitting parts, walk away thinking I am done, only to come back look at it again and think………maybe if I do it this way it will be better.
I have roughed out these peices in plastic, wood now metal :unsure

Thanks all for the comments and looking.

Edit.....Any ideas, suggestions, building techniques, hints on milling and machining parts would be greatly appreciated. My last shop class was about 40 years ago and I may have forgotten a few things.
Yes old dogs, can learn new tricks. :lol

Last edited:
I am in Awe, Sir
I love the size and scope of this project,
"Go BIG or go home" that's what i say.
Fantastic

As for your turning and milling skills, they look just fine to me, i'm a machinist so if you have any specific questions i would be glad to help.

More pictures please.
:popcorn

Gag

Thanks Gag, I have been following your build. The amount of detail you put into it is mind blowing. I wish I was as detailed as you, Katsu and others here.
It will take awhile to get use to running mini machines. They seem to need constant adjustment.

gyoung2993. when i get lightheaded I have them adjust my pacemaker timing :lol

Thanks Gag, I have been following your build. The amount of detail you put into it is mind blowing. I wish I was as detailed as you, Katsu and others here.
It will take awhile to get use to running mini machines. They seem to need constant adjustment.

Thanks for the compliment, you could go detail INSANE on this thing

As for the machining a few basic tips are :-

1. If you can get Tungsten carbide end mills, drills and inserts they are better for most materials, a little expensive but they will stay sharper for longer.

2.The feeds and speeds you use are also very important, heres alink you can use to calculate these: Whitney Tool I Speed and Feed Calculator

3. The center height on your turning tools is critical, to low and it will chatter as the material tries to climb on to the tool, to high and your just rubbing the material away.

4. Any coolant you can use, even if its just a light oil, will help the cutting process and inprove the finish on a final pass.

5. I use Scotch-brite pads from 3M to polish plastic and metal.
Green, like on a scouring pad, is very course and not that effective on metal but :Red= very fine, Grey= super fine, white= mega super fine, are all very useful.

If you PM me your address i will send you some machining goodies i've got lying around.

Gag

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back