4 types of screen accurate Harry Potter and Ron letters

Here are the studio shots for this envelope.
photos finales Gringotts.jpg

Gringotts Letter 1.JPG

Gringotts Letter 5.jpg

and here is the custom packaging for this one:
Gringotts Letter embalage.jpg

See you soon for the last envelope, the "piece de resistance", the Origamy Howler!

How did I miss these works of art?!? Amazing work my friend and I can’t wait to purchase them!
thank you so much guys! really appreciate it :)

so, the funiest thing happened yesterday. There is that ref from one of the acceptance letters from propstore where the wax seal has two almost perfectly symetrical and very precise holes on both sides. I never could make sense on those and was wondering if they were there on purpose or something.
Well, one of our wax seal did almost exactly the same thing... It seems those are just air bubbles in the wax and they seem to often appear right in the middle when there is a larger quantity of wax somewhere. quite cool :)
We considered quite a bit keeping this letter, but it was finally kept in the run and someone will receive it :)

cachet cire.jpg

cheers

Hello there,

well, here we go, I'll discuss a bit the creation of the big one from the series, the Origami version of Ron's letter.

here are a couple reference that we have from the movie:
avant.jpg
arriere.jpg

This version is a special case in the sense that it was 3D rendered in the movie.

To reproduce it, we had to interpret the 3D object into a real life origami as close as possible to the movie version and with the most expressive pose possible.

All the materials and details are based on the references of the closed version of the letters as if the object was real, it would obviously be made from the same materials. :)

The creation of the origami pattern demanded dozens of hand drawn and cut prototypes to get the cleanest folds and reach the most expressive and faithful shape to what is seen on screen. Julie is fully in charge of this project and I've seen her draw and cut countless pieces of paper then start all over again, again and again to manage to get as close as possible to the 3D object we see on screen.

Here is a few of the most final prototypes she made. I say a few because she really made a lot more, including a large bunch of partial prototypes to refine the different parts of the object:
DSC02395.jpg

Once the prototype was validated, we could draw the final template and have it laser cut in stainless steel. This template is a lot more complex than the others in the sense that it also includes all the folding lines that are traced with a special tool at the same time as the envelope contour is cut. Julie actually had the laser cutter guy on the phone several times to make sure of the best way to go about it, the thickness of the laser line, the best way to make the template rigid with all the cuts it had and so on.

At this point, we can start cutting the red paper. The template is more than 50cm long so we are using large 70cm by 100cm paper sheets. (It's the same paper that we used for the closed version, but we tracked down this specific size to be able to cut the large origami from it) The paper was a special order and it was actually safely delivered (the second time) on a wooden pallet:
P_20200224_140159.jpg

Here is an example when we cut and trace the folding lines with the template. Each line is first traced with the template, then continued with a ruler. and we have to be quite concentrated when doing it to avoid missing any of the lines before removing the template.
DSC02420.jpg

The teeth of the Howler, made with the inside letter, were also defined carefully based on the movie scenes. We reproduced their shape as faithfully as possible and made a steel template to cut and trace each side:
DSC02417.jpg

Here are all the parts prepared and ready to be carefully folded by Julie:
DSC02406.jpg

After everything is prepared, she has to go over each folding line and fold it carefully in the right direction. This apparently requires quite a bit of concentration and any of my question to her at this point are greated by a nice and loving "shut up" :D

here she is, refining the folds and applying VHB tape at the bottom:
DSC02443.JPG

DSC02444.JPG

(yeah, even the tape is now cut with a template if you want to know. ;))

At this point, she then has to fold and glue the origami in the final shape. Glue the ribbon tongue through a carefully positioned slit in the letter, bend an aluminium strip to the right profile and glue it to the letter. Then assemble the letter and Origami envelope together and make sure the pose is perfect.
All those last steps must be too stressful as I don't have any pictures of them to show, I was probably not allowed around with my camera at this time. sorry!

I'll post the studio pics in the next post :)

Here are the final studio pics and details for that object:

photos finales origami.jpg

Howler origami 6.JPG

Howler origami 7.JPG

Howler origami 8.JPG

Howler origami 9.JPG

and here are some packed origami, safelly waiting for their new homes :):
DSC02524.JPG

This is a very complex objet to reproduce, it was a huge amount of work to get there and we really hope that you all like it :)
cheers

Last edited:
Incredible work! Amazing to see it translated into a genuine object, looks just like the CG model.
When will the different letters become available (eager fan).
Cheers
thank you once again for your praises, it's really much appreciated.

So, to answer your question, we had a bit of a bad news/good news situation today.
The only hold up is that we need our company up and running and our official company number to create the pro paypal account and the actual bank account behind it.
We sent the papers for the company creation on the 21st of october and this is normally supposed to take around 10 days. We called them today because we had no news at all and they said that they have a huge delay because of covid and all, around 2 or 3 months...
Now, apparently, we found a work around with the lady to speed up a bit the process and we might have all of that done in a week if everything goes well but I can honestly not promise anything. The original idea was to open our sales on the 1st of November to be all ready for people for Christmas and we are still hoping this will work but it is delayed for now.

All I can ask if for you guys to be a bit more patient and to hope that we can be on time for Christmas :)

Hello there,
good news, we finally were able to get some momentum with our companies creations and we now have our official company numbers with Julie. We have a few more administrative things to do to setup our bank accounts, post account, prepare the calculation of the shipping costs and all and we should be able to open our sales soon, finally :)
we are so looking forward to it and we really hope your guys will like our magic letters :)

OMG I've been working on replicating these letters too for a long time (although I have only shared the process on the acceptance letter in this forum) and I just came across your post! Your work is amazing and very inspiring! It's beautiful to see all the attention to detail and the final result! I will definitely be coming back to see more!

PS: Sorry for that many exclamation signs, I just got too exited.
PS2: Even though I will definitely WON'T ask for this, it would be great to closely compare both our works on the same props, I feel like it would be funny to see how we got to each final result having mostly the very same references.

OMG I've been working on replicating these letters too for a long time (although I have only shared the process on the acceptance letter in this forum) and I just came across your post! Your work is amazing and very inspiring! It's beautiful to see all the attention to detail and the final result! I will definitely be coming back to see more!

PS: Sorry for that many exclamation signs, I just got too exited.
PS2: Even though I will definitely WON'T ask for this, it would be great to closely compare both our works on the same props, I feel like it would be funny to see how we got to each final result having mostly the very same references.
Hey Marcolt, thank you very much for your exitement and praises, it's much appreciated :) I've been following your progress too and your work is awesome. we can definitely trade or something to compare our work :) cheers

Hello there,
run is finally pre-open in the project run section and an explanation of the run and the prices is available there now :)
Julie's website will open in a few days this week for you to actually buy them, no need to PM us to ask to buy them now, they will be easily available only on the website :)

I hope you guys enjoy :) ,
cheers

Hello everyone, thank you very much for your messages, it is a pleasure to read you. I still have a few things to settle for the opening of my site, but this will be settled in the next few days. The letters were a much harder project than we thought, but I hope you like the result. We put a lot of time and heart into it :)

Ordered , but mine sadly did not make it through the shipping process. Reached out through your site with pictures. Jamie D
Oh, that's where you posted! :)
just so people know, I answered the PMs and we will send a new one free of charge obviously.

crazy story, the package arrived completely soaked and as if someone stomped on it! couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the photos! surprisingly enough, although the whole letter was soaked too, the wax stamp survived nicelly :)
let's say, it will be like a letter delivered in hand by no one else than Hagrid :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back