Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Hey StudioKB when will we start seeing these STL files flowing? :)). :p Your posts are like tutorials - keep them coming too haha!! I am going for broke on this as my quick fingers managed to snag a preorder Elgoo Saturn... this could be very interesting!

Well if you go by the history - it takes at least 4 hours to get a good scan... and the dude has to have a life so... I expect them to trickle out :) Not to put words in his mouth :).

Jedi Dade

Yes, currently working on a new issue with the new computer -- software is "crashing" as soon as I hit "scan" and I can't figure out why -- have a call in to Tech Support, which is in Germany, and thus 7 hours time zone difference.

Will update you all once I know the problem.

Tamiya 1/35 8Rad (Modified) Lower Hull - used all over the place on Y-Wing and Millennium Falcon and others.
8rad Snip 1.PNG

8rad Snip 2.PNG

8rad Snip 3.PNG

8rad Snip 4.PNG

Can't tell -- it seems to be the "thinness" of the part at the trailing edge. But leading edge also wonky. This was done in raw blue plastic state, with some baby powder sifted on -- so next I'll spray paint it flat white and see if I can get the scanner to "pick it up" better.

But this is truly exhausting -- four hours, and this... and the recognition that each piece is going to be this time-consuming.

I have a crude old David Scanner setup (now HP 3D Scan) and I often see this with glossy reflective surfaces like plastic. Sometimes it seems like the laser or structured light is reflected directly back to the camera like a highlight in a photo. The software cant make sense of this.

As suggested by Jedi Dade, different orientation of the subject can sometimes fix this, or applying a dull coat to the surface.

Having spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to scan surfaces I understand you pain.
I can say however that the quality of scans seems to be really good!

Almost... spent all day on it yesterday, and for some reason the upper left wingtip/backside isn't getting "picked up" so I'm still figuring it out. The front looks great, but I'm concerned that if I make a watertight mesh with what's there it will create a baloon-bubbled hot mess again.

More anon...

Maybe skip that particular part for now and move onto some others? You may glean some experience (and confidence :)) or have an 'aha' moment that you can then apply to the troubling part. Thanks for your commitment and diligence to this project!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back