Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

So another small update for the community. I did a quick sand with 220 grit on the FDM part and hit it with a light coat of primer. I thin edited the original scan into 2 part roughly the same size. rearranged them so they would fit on the resin printer build plate and printed... and it was successful - kinda. I had a short power outage which was enough to stop the resin printer from completing. However it had gotten about 1/3 the way done before hand so... I have a print of 1/3 of the 2 parts... and here is a comparison pic.

Enjoy,
Jedi Dade

Last edited:
And here's snips of the Right Side of the Wankel Rotary Engine in various views.

Snip 5 - Entex Wankel Rt Side.PNG

Bottom view

Snip 4 - Entex Wankel Rt Side.PNG

Underside view

Snip 2 - Entex Wankel Rt Side.PNG

Quarter view

Snip 3 - Entex Wankel Rt Side.PNG

Top view

Each scan, of this quality, is taking about 4 hours to complete. Rome wasn't built in a day...

Attachments

• Snip 1 - Entex Wankel Rt Side.PNG
    Snip 1 - Entex Wankel Rt Side.PNG
    232.6 KB · Views: 121
Thinking about purchasing a Creality resin printer for this project instead of using my CR-10 S5.

Maybe? Idk

The resin printers are definitely easier to get highly detailed results, but as I showed rhe FDM print came out pretty good as well. But go for a larger print bed like the elegoo Saturn, unless ypu want to be editing the parts

Jedi Dade.

If the greeblies are life-size 1:1, they should be easily printable on a small $300 resin printer no?

Yes, but get the largest print-bed printer you can afford, b/c some of them (like the Wankel rotary engine) are pretty large -- 208mm long, for instance.

Yes, but get the largest print-bed printer you can afford, b/c some of them (like the Wankel rotary engine) are pretty large -- 208mm long, for instance.
Wow that is pretty large actually! I guess I needed to see the Wankel engine printed part up against a quarter for scale. :)

There are two schools of thought:

1.) Build the ANH 5' Millennium Falcon and everything after that is downhill (sort of like, "live in New York City for ten years and after that you can survive anywhere.")
2.) Do Everything Else and slowly, eventually, carefully, gradually, work your way up the ANH 5' Millennium Falcon and see if your soul survives.

What's your approach?

While I tihnk I'd love to have a 5foot falcon - Honestly my house is not big enough to display it... I could perhaps hang it on a wall in the basement... Hmmmm no that's an idea... Star Destroyer diorama with a 5 foot space tic hanging on it.... I may get divorced... but maybe not...

Jedi Dade

..."I may get divorced"...

Every (currently married) modeler's worst fear as soon as he discovers the power of the dark side studio scale modeling...

Meanwhile, preparing to scan the lower piece in this pic later this week:
Airfix Hurrican for Engine Deck 2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back