3D printed Iron Man helmet and gloves

Bogleo

Hi,

Some of you may have seen my 3d printed helmet and gloves in my mark 7 thread. I'm still working on them. The plan is to print a new helmet, because the old one was too small. Then, smooth the helmet and gloves, and mold and cast them.

Here are some pictures of the old helmet, and the gloves.

Photo on 12-7-14 at 12.07 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 12-7-14 at 12.07 PM.jpgPhoto on 12-7-14 at 12.08 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 12-12-14 at 11.26 AM.jpgPhoto on 12-12-14 at 11.28 AM.jpgPhoto on 12-12-14 at 11.29 AM #3.jpgPhoto on 12-12-14 at 11.29 AM #2.jpgb.JPGPhoto on 1-16-15 at 8.59 AM #4.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #5.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #3.jpgPhoto on 1-16-15 at 8.59 AM #2.jpg

Last edited:
Update.

The 3d printer finally got fixed after a long wait, so I have printed the first new helmet part. When I pulled it off the bed, a few layers on the bottom came off, but I can glue them back on.

Photo on 4-1-15 at 9.17 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-1-15 at 9.18 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-1-15 at 9.18 AM #2.jpgPhoto on 4-1-15 at 9.18 AM #3.jpgPhoto on 4-1-15 at 9.23 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-1-15 at 9.26 AM.jpg

I didn't finish my 3d model, so I'm using drumguy560's files.

Small question here... I have ordered a resin cast of an Ironman helmet. Do I need to put fibreglass on the inside, or is that only if it's made out of paper/cardboard etc?

Small question here... I have ordered a resin cast of an Ironman helmet. Do I need to put fibreglass on the inside, or is that only if it's made out of paper/cardboard etc?

I'm pretty sure resin casts don't fiberglass, unless it's really thin. Fiberglass is used for reinforcement.

I have printed the whole faceplate now, except for the eye frames. I tried printing the jaw, and this is what happened.

Photo on 4-9-15 at 8.21 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 8.22 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 8.22 AM #2.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 8.22 AM #3.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 8.22 AM #4.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 8.23 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 9.15 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-9-15 at 9.15 AM #4.jpg

I don't know what went wrong. It looks like all the layers are separated. It's also flexible, floppy, and very easy to break.

If anyone knows what went wrong or how to fix it, please tell me. This is on a Makerbot Replicator 2.

I have printed the whole faceplate now, except for the eye frames. I tried printing the jaw, and this is what happened.

View attachment 462114View attachment 462115View attachment 462116View attachment 462117View attachment 462118View attachment 462119View attachment 462120View attachment 462121

I don't know what went wrong. It looks like all the layers are separated. It's also flexible, floppy, and very easy to break.

If anyone knows what went wrong or how to fix it, please tell me. This is on a Makerbot Replicator 2.

have you calibrate your system/printer? did you use abs? so try to print with a different fan speed?

Re: 3D printed Iron Man helmet and gloves - Failed print HELP!

Is this only happening on this specific part? If you printed another part, would you get the same result? By the looks of it, it's very likely the extruder is either too cold (which would be a thermister problem) or is about to clog (which I read happens often on Replicators).

I print with PLA exclusively on another type of printer and have never seen such an issue. This is definitely not a bed level issue. If not temperature or a clog, it can also be poor gcode generation for the model.

EDIT: Unfortunately the Replicators are closed source printers and all parts and service will need to go through MakerBot.

Is this only happening on this specific part? If you printed another part, would you get the same result? By the looks of it, it's very likely the extruder is either too cold (which would be a thermister problem) or is about to clog (which I read happens often on Replicators).

I print with PLA exclusively on another type of printer and have never seen such an issue. This is definitely not a bed level issue. If not temperature or a clog, it can also be poor gcode generation for the model.

EDIT: Unfortunately the Replicators are closed source printers and all parts and service will need to go through MakerBot.

The last two parts I printed came out awesome. I don't know if the same thing would happen again. I could try printing again and see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

The last two parts I printed came out awesome. I don't know if the same thing would happen again. I could try printing again and see what happens.

right on the money with a clog!

Also check your temps. Sometimes a different color can need a slightly different temp. I always set my temp by feel, just set the temperature and extrude some, and watch it come out of the nozzle. That's another good way to check if you have a clog. if the nozzle is clean, the filament should run straight down with no curling at all

I did a test print of a cube after the failed print above, and it was fine. I tried the jaw a couple more times, and it failed again, even though I regenerated the sliced/print file. I decided to slice it into more pieces. I printed the bottom part.

Photo on 4-15-15 at 10.21 AM.jpgPhoto on 4-15-15 at 10.21 AM #3.jpgPhoto on 4-15-15 at 10.22 AM #2.jpgPhoto on 4-15-15 at 10.22 AM #3.jpg

It seemed to work, but the edge/wall things on top that will attach to the next part are asymmetrical. One is thinner, and one is thicker. I checked the 3d file, and it's not supposed to be like that.

I started printing the upper half, and it is doing the same thing; a thicker wall on one side than the other, also not the case in the file.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 10.28.24 AM.png

I'm thinking that there is something wrong with MakerWare, and it's slicing wrong. :confused Does anyone know what is going on?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back