37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Gebirg, some hot water should fix your warp. Very hot, just boiled - drop the bow half in and let it warm up, it will become quite soft. Correct the warp and pop it in cold water. Simples.

NP, dude. Did this to my main hull section just last night, worked fine. I already had a couple of pieces of pine reinforcement epoxied in (didn't discover the twist until too late) but wasn't a problem. I'm just about to go off and epoxy some ply strips down the full length; it'll complicate fibre optic work but the model will never sag or warp again, which is a real worry in the Australian climate.

Just wondering if there's any more instructions like this for the greeblie placement.

Yes, Randy also posted this, thought I'd reposted it already, sorry. There's still a few pieces I'm in the dark about myself. I'll post the particulars later, gotta go get glueing. :)

1608529_10152145199725238_1284279312_n.jpg

Found another handy hint by Randy:

12.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Those 2 crane (?) parts below the rearwards droptanks aren't the greatest, IMO. I'm going to make some better ones up - there should be five in total on each side; two below each drop tank and one in front of the forward droptank. Anyone want copies? Probably just Shapeways in their detail material, I'll throw some other bits in to make it worth the postage.

View attachment 298526

- - - Updated - - -

Those 2 crane (?) parts below the rearwards droptanks aren't the greatest, IMO. I'm going to make some better ones up - there should be five in total on each side; two below each drop tank and one in front of the forward droptank. Anyone want copies? Probably just Shapeways in their detail material, I'll throw some other bits in to make it worth the postage.

Count me in for a set
Thanks,

View attachment 298526

- - - Updated - - -

Love some thanks.

Righto, will do. Can't do much about Shapeways pricing though! For ref, here's a dome I worked up today, similar to Nick's. In the best material this would be $15, in second-best it's $12. Shapeways charges $20 shipping, flat rate, for whatever you order. So I'd suggest waiting till I've done a more worth while mess of pieces.

BSG Dome03.jpg BSG Dome02.jpg

Last edited:
Boy that's wicked. If we get a few parts like this together and get them to me i can put together a little update pack, free of charge to the guys that purchased the kit. It would be easy for a handful of the smaller parts, i can just put them into a few open pour molds. Not looking to redo everything mind you, but a handful of greeblies I can put together a nice care package for everyone.

mike

Great offer, Mike! Thanks!! :thumbsup

OK, well, I was kinda inspired by Nick's new nose piece and bridge and wanted to do those, and the five-canister details that go in the corners of the arms, the crane pieces I've already mentioned, a detail for the back of the tube right at the top rear of the engine, a lined front dome and a buncha really tiny Vipers, assuming I can make them work at 5mm. Happy to do that missing droptank piece mentioned above too of course.

Possibly the Morser Karl frames too since hogging them out is a bugger, but those would need a 2-sided mould so maybe just 3d print for those. Where does the fourth one go, by the way? I can only locate three of them, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

No slur on your mastering btw. Gawd, I love this kit. :)

Yeah, those crane arms were the ones that Nick shrank, they were a bit soft, and that is why i stopped at the one set on each side. The Morser Karl parts are not something reasonable in general to cast, at least not for a production run, that is why i just made them solid for production. Way to much breakage possible with those tiny parts.

Fourth one is an extra, even with the middle cast i was worried about those thin arm braking in transit, you only need 3.

I understand the desire to tinker with the kit. I knew that people would have their "favorite" detail they really wanted, or something they wanted to improve. With the thousands and thousands of details on this kit (never mind the actual body and structure part of the scratchbuild) I knew every detail was not going to be a home run.

Like i said, if we have a small set of common stuff that everone wants, like the dome cover, and i can keep it to one or two simple molds i am happy to send out a little upgrade kit for everyone. Looking at how good that dome looks, i realize that the one in the kit is a bit lame, I think that must have been right around where i ran out of steam, it was one of the last parts i did...
thanks
mike

I wouldn't sell your self short though mike, you an outstanding job on this kit, I don't think ANYONE would ever have a complaint. I feel that nice there is enough detail to build a really killer kit as it is, but there is enough that we can tweek and add as we see fit, for me this is one of the fun parts of the kit. I still feel this kit is an absolute steal for what your charging.

btw, I got the honey comb material I ordered a few days ago that was shown by belleauwood in post #237. the 1/8th " honeycomb is bang on as your going to get. I took a shot of the parts sitting on the honeycomb which I don't remember seeing done yet.

IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1898.JPG

Last edited:
Ah so they were off the originals. I think print will do better on thin pieces like that. Yup, the arms on the Karl pieces are fragile, three of mine broke. They pop straight back on with no join visible.

Wondered if it was a spare! You're a legend. :)

Steam - you can be excused. Just this once. :lol Eh - there's nothing wrong with the dome, it's basic but it gives people something to do. You could just as easily paint it and pencil-line it like the original. Seriously, I have no idea how you had the stamina to see this thing through. It is *epic*.

Thanks re the dome! I'll work up more bits tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Seconding trooper. Tinkering is FUN! :)

Steam - you can be excused. Just this once. :lol Eh - there's nothing wrong with the dome, it's basic but it gives people something to do. You could just as easily paint it and pencil-line it like the original. Seriously, I have no idea how you had the stamina to see this thing through. It is *epic*.

I would have both eye's twitching from madness if I ever made it half way through twitchy.gif

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back