300 Spartan Helmet

I think I'll make the first fibreglass copy with a COLDCAST BRONZE surface rather than painting. I will be able to to give the surface a few dark washes first to enhance the pitting effect, then polish up the CC. I'll put pics here when it's complete.

DAZ

Nicely done, Daz! Can´t wait to see this painted...

I think I'll make the first fibreglass copy with a COLDCAST BRONZE surface rather than painting. I will be able to to give the surface a few dark washes first to enhance the pitting effect, then polish up the CC. I'll put pics here when it's complete.

DAZ

I think i know what colour scheme this is going to end up being too :)

Before I make the first coldcast helmet I decided to do a few COLDCAST tests using both BRONZE and BRASS powders. The original screen helmets were supposed to be Bronze, so that's where I started. The Bronze looked a little dark in reality (but lighter when photographed). So I tried Brass powder, this looked more like gold in reality. So I ended up using 2 parts Bronze powder mixed with 1 part Brass powder. I used a very fine grade wire wool to polish it then finished it off with some 'Brasso'. Here's the test result.

I'm really happy with the way the coldcast has emphasized the surface texture.

DAZ

Last edited:
I hope you dont mind me hyjacking this slightly

but i have a Steel Version of this helmet and one of the things i would like to do is weather it and add the dents and bumps, anyone have any ideas how i could achieve this.

The Helmet is made of steel as i said and super smooth, it needs to be more movie like.

It depends a lot on what type of metal, soft or hard. A dremel is an option, one of those sanding ball attachments. I used clay specifically for this sculpt to get the texture easily, good luck...

DAZ

I hope you dont mind me hyjacking this slightly

but i have a Steel Version of this helmet and one of the things i would like to do is weather it and add the dents and bumps, anyone have any ideas how i could achieve this.

The Helmet is made of steel as i said and super smooth, it needs to be more movie like.

Before I make the first coldcast helmet I decided to do a few COLDCAST tests using both BRONZE and BRASS powders. The original screen helmets were supposed to be Bronze, so that's where I started. The Bronze looked a little dark in reality (but lighter when photographed). So I tried Brass powder, this looked more like gold in reality. So I ended up using 2 parts Bronze powder mixed with 1 part Brass powder. I used a very fine grade wire wool to polish it then finished it off with some 'Brasso'. Here's the test result.

I'm really happy with the way the coldcast has emphasized the surface texture.

DAZ

The screen used pieces that are for sale in the Propstore have a very dull bronze finish, they appear to be more golden in the finished movie because of the stylized clipping approach they applied.

You seem to be on to something there with the coldcast sample.
I have tried using bronze pigment and drybrushed with a Grecian Gold rub'n'buff, also a nice effect.

Yes, the screen used helmets are duller, this may also have something to do with them dulling in the time since they were made. I'm not sure if they had cold cast powder in the foam when they were produced, if so, it will certainly dull over time. My aim is to produce a helmet that looks like the ones seen on screen.

It's always a dilemma, especially when i made my Boba costume, do you copy the actual prop as it looks now, or make it look the prop as seen on screen?

DAZ

The screen used pieces that are for sale in the Propstore have a very dull bronze finish, they appear to be more golden in the finished movie because of the stylized clipping approach they applied.

You seem to be on to something there with the coldcast sample.
I have tried using bronze pigment and drybrushed with a Grecian Gold rub'n'buff, also a nice effect.

No I hadn't seen this, thanks for the link it's awesome!

DAZ

Most of the helmets have that dull bronze look although the Captains helmet seems to have a more Grecian gold look to it (truer to the screen shots).

Some great insight into the helmet of Leonidas in particular, are you planning on adding the crest/plume? Cant believe they made 17 of them!!!

Are you planning on making rubber versions?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back