300 Spartan Helmet

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by bobamaker, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

I sculpted this on Saturday using WED clay. I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, took about 6 hours in total. WIP pics are on my website bobamaker: Spartan Helmet Build

I'm just waiting for it to cure some more before I can mould it.

I welcome any and all criticism :$

DAZ

2. Darkturbo04

Darkturbo04 Active Member

that is a wonderful sculpt. Well done.

3. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

Nicely done, Daz! Can´t wait to see this painted...

4. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

I think I'll make the first fibreglass copy with a COLDCAST BRONZE surface rather than painting. I will be able to to give the surface a few dark washes first to enhance the pitting effect, then polish up the CC. I'll put pics here when it's complete.

DAZ

5. Sisqo

Sisqo New Member

Great job man,im sure the final result wil be awsome.

6. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think i know what colour scheme this is going to end up being too :)

7. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Crazy nice!

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Saw this on your site. Beautiful work as always!

9. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

Before I make the first coldcast helmet I decided to do a few COLDCAST tests using both BRONZE and BRASS powders. The original screen helmets were supposed to be Bronze, so that's where I started. The Bronze looked a little dark in reality (but lighter when photographed). So I tried Brass powder, this looked more like gold in reality. So I ended up using 2 parts Bronze powder mixed with 1 part Brass powder. I used a very fine grade wire wool to polish it then finished it off with some 'Brasso'. Here's the test result.

I'm really happy with the way the coldcast has emphasized the surface texture.

DAZ

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  10. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope you dont mind me hyjacking this slightly

but i have a Steel Version of this helmet and one of the things i would like to do is weather it and add the dents and bumps, anyone have any ideas how i could achieve this.

The Helmet is made of steel as i said and super smooth, it needs to be more movie like.

11. Awesomeness

Awesomeness Active Member

The cold cast really looks great.

12. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

It depends a lot on what type of metal, soft or hard. A dremel is an option, one of those sanding ball attachments. I used clay specifically for this sculpt to get the texture easily, good luck...

DAZ

13. Dougie Fett

Dougie Fett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The screen used pieces that are for sale in the Propstore have a very dull bronze finish, they appear to be more golden in the finished movie because of the stylized clipping approach they applied.

You seem to be on to something there with the coldcast sample.
    I have tried using bronze pigment and drybrushed with a Grecian Gold rub'n'buff, also a nice effect.

14. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

Yes, the screen used helmets are duller, this may also have something to do with them dulling in the time since they were made. I'm not sure if they had cold cast powder in the foam when they were produced, if so, it will certainly dull over time. My aim is to produce a helmet that looks like the ones seen on screen.

It's always a dilemma, especially when i made my Boba costume, do you copy the actual prop as it looks now, or make it look the prop as seen on screen?

DAZ

15. toddslightning

toddslightning New Member

how much are u thinking for a piece like this ? i always wanted to scuplt a helmet .. and this looked pretty simple to do .. u made it look to easy lol

16. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Very nice. Well done.

17. BGL

BGL Member

Real beauty nice work

18. Dougie Fett

19. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

20. Dougie Fett

Most of the helmets have that dull bronze look although the Captains helmet seems to have a more Grecian gold look to it (truer to the screen shots).

Some great insight into the helmet of Leonidas in particular, are you planning on adding the crest/plume? Cant believe they made 17 of them!!!

Are you planning on making rubber versions?

21. stevo

stevo New Member

good job

22. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

Not sure yet, I'm waiting for the coldcast powder tomorrow or Tuesday, then I can make the first coldcast copy. I'm having to ship the powder here from the UK. Once I've made the copy I'll know how much powder and resin is needed for each cast.

DAZ

23. Foxy

Foxy New Member

Wow. That's some great work man

24. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

super nice

25. Loserizer

Loserizer New Member

Looks Great!

26. tango

tango New Member

Very nice. CC turned out great.

27. rhinokey

rhinokey New Member

awsome job

28. Burnsy

Burnsy New Member

Looks good Daz. Hope you're well bud.

29. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

I've now finished the first coldcast copy, it's been polished and weathered. I rubbed black and green acrylic paints into the cast before I did the final polish with Brasso. Brasso did a great job of dissolving the acrylics but leaving a "dirty black/green" residue in the recesses. I purposely weathered this a little more than the screen used helmets, this will work well with the display that I'm about to start work on.

The pictures show the helmet a little more gold coloured than it actually is, but it's not a bad representation.

DAZ

30. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

Here's a quick computer mock-up of the bust that I'm going to sculpt. The figure will be wet clay, then a fibreglass copy made and painted. I will need to sculpt the broach, possibly foam board and filler. The robe will be real red cloth and the leather straps will also be real leather.

Obviously, the face will be a little more rugged / weathered and battle scarred on the finished sculpt, the torso too.

DAZ

31. Dougie Fett

Turned out great Daz, wouldn't expect anything less from you....

Any plans to make the rest of the armour?

32. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

Thanks a lot. No plans to make any more armour, I'm now going to finish sculpting my Snowtrooper. Because time is an issue, I'm not sculpting this bust, instead I'm putting together a nice themed stand, I'll put pics up when it's finished today or tomorrow.

DAZ

33. toddslightning

toddslightning New Member

i just got the spartan shield for christmas from my brother i donno were he found it but it was 40$ shipped and they have the sword also .. i dont pyshiclly get it yet but he opened the box and showed me he couldnt resist hahahah

34. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

Display stand almost complete... just need to make some kind of plaque. I'm thinking about the logo "300" cut out of red plastic (we'll see). Here's the stand so far. I decided against sculpting a head and chest because of time issues... way too busy :confused

This display has elements from the costume (red cloth and leather) but purposely kept non-descript so it doesn't take too much away from the helmet.

DAZ

35. tango

tango New Member

Hi Daz...what type/manufacturer of broze/gold powder did you use? Thanks in advance.

36. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

I get them from Tiranti.co.uk This is the company that developed these powders some years back.

DAZ

37. tango

tango New Member

Thanks for the info, the OS jango flight suit and vest. Best!

38. tango

tango New Member

One more question DAZ, how much powder do you use for each helmet? 500 grams, 400 grams?

39. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

40. SpartanSoccer5

SpartanSoccer5 New Member

amazing helmet! cant wait to watch the vid.

41. Gunvor24

Gunvor24 New Member

Very nice! i was wondering how you got the reference for sculpting? I'm in the middle of gathering shots of the helm, shield, and sword of a spartan to make a desk top mini display and while I've pulled every usable shot from the movie and done some digging on 300dc.com and come up with some great stuff, the perspective shots I've got don't give any direct views of the front or top. Is this something you just wing or....

thanks to any help!

42. bobamaker

bobamaker New Member

From memory, I think I found some really good pictures of a screen used helmet that was up for auction, could have been from Prop Store.

DAZ

43. Gunvor24

Gunvor24 New Member

many thanks!