1/24 X-Wing near 100% from scratch

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Moska, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

This is the story:
    After investing more than a year and half on to make my own plans and a 3D model, and boring to some kind members of this forum with my questions about some parts id, I have finally begun real work.

This is only the first step:

Attached Files:

ralphee likes this.
  2. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Yes, we all know this part, and we all know that it comes from 1/24 Airfix Hurricane kit but, it really looks with other eyes when you've built it from scratch and have invested in it about 20-24 hours of work.

( I have the intimate hope that most of you haven't noticed that this image was not the original part :$).

The reason I chose this piece to start my project is because this is the part that I found most difficult and complicated to replicate due to its wide range of volumes, shapes and small details. I thought this piece would be a good test to see if my skills were sufficient to meet this challenge.

This is my project: To build an SS X-Wing from scratch and make all necessary parts for it.

Luckily I have several of the donors kits.
    The rest? I'm not willing to pay a lot of money for the kits that I need to complete the model (economical crisis, you know).

These are the kits I have:

- 1/144 Airfix Apollo Saturn V
    - H0 Airfix Harrow Locomotive
    - 1/76 Airfix German Panther Tank
    - 1/72 Hasegawa M4 Sherman
    - 1/32 Revell Phantom F4J
    - 1/76 Fujimi Elephant

I know this is going to be a long and difficult project, but working from scratch has always been a challenge for me and the most funny side of modeling, so I have no hurry and I hope to enjoy for loooong hours.
    I'm aware that my scratch build parts will never be perfect, but I 'm determined to try it as far as I'm able to go.

I opened this new thread thinking on the possibility that some of you will be interested on to follow my progress but, above all, because I need your help! for to know with more detail some of the pieces that I'll need to make from scratch.

In the next first image I've colored the parts I need more graphic references, and would greatly appreciate if any other member would like to share on this thread some good pictures of these parts in which can be appreciate all the volumes and details. Don't care if the pics shows the original parts or if they are from any good resin castings.

To end this first post, here are some pictures of the creation process on the Hurricane piece.

Thank you very much for visiting this thread, and many thanks in advanced for your contributions.

Rafa

Attached Files:

robn1 likes this.
  3. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

You are a MAD MAN.

I salute you!!!

4. robn1

robn1 Master Member

This will be a cool one to watch, the hard work/economical approach. Looks like you have a great start :thumbsup

5. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Now that's one dedicated man!

Cheers,
    Steve

6. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Muy bien trabajo Rafa!!!

La hurricane pieza esta perfecta, una construcion complicada.

And I agree it is very gratifying when you have scratch built it yourself. I look forward to watching your progress on this one.

Ozzy

7. atom

atom Active Member

Hi! Moska-san!:)

You have quite a technique that I never thought about.
    What a man, you are.
    Please tell me anytime if I can help you.

God speed!:thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I literally did a double take here Raf, thats some AMAZING work there!

lee

9. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

That is real model building.
    This will be an eye opening build thread.
    Thats why I love this place.
    We learn new stuff every day.

10. imkold

imkold New Member

Most impressive! I'm looking forward to see you working on the main body!

11. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Many thanks for your kind words folks :love.

Next part is 1/24 Airfix Messerschmitt, I'm already working on.

Rafa

Hi atom-san.

You already are helping me. I'm following your thread "CCX remodeling ! into X-WING RED2" and collecting all the images you share because they are very useful for my project.

Thanks a lot for your great work.

Hi Lee.

It gives me pride that a Premium Member of this great forum is interested in following my modest progress.
    Thank you very much and hope not to disappoint anyone.

Hello imkold.

Will initiate the main body only when all the detailing parts are completed, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait quite a while.

Many thanks for looking.

Rafa

12. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Rafa, that 'Hurri' part is just incredible, not an easy thing to do for sure!. I thought scratching parts in 1/12th was hard, but this is just insane, but very, very cool:cool.
    It is amazing though, just what can be achieved in styrene, not many folks wish to take this route which is a shame.
    Will be watching this build with keen interest, can't wait to see your next part Rafa & of course how you tackle the fuselage.
    Stu

13. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

This is looking great Rafa. This seems to be the future of modelbuilding. I envy folks who can just draw it up and grow/ print the perfect model. Looking forward to you're build.

14. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hi eagle1 and jedimester.

Thank you for your support of my project.

Yes, I love the styrene. Almost everything in a model can be created with it.
    For me, modelbuilding consists in this, work on each piece to perfect it to the limit I can reach.

I hate concepts as "SnapFast" or "Prepainted" :sick
    What relationship do these concepts with the real modelbuilding?

My fun is to build models. Once completed, happens the same thing that with a good book : you've enjoyed a lot while you read it, but once finished, only remains the adquired experience and the memory of those good moments.
    Yes, the finished model is a pride and a pleasure to look at from time to time. But I need to get my hands on work, so that the best model is always the next one.

Take this opportunity to remind visitors that I still need good and close pics of the colored pieces I ask.

Thanks for looking.
    Rafa

15. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Raf is this any good? sorry its a bit hack and slash, just ran up, dug out the kit and shot over the 10mm squares on my cutting board, heres the Bandai Shiden.

lee
    [​IMG]

16. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Many thanks Lee.

It's a good and useful pic but, I still need to see the highness of the part and his details.

New pics taken from off-axis angles will be perfect.

Thanks again for your help.:cheers
    Rafa

17. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

OK, wont have time this evening, off to work in a mo, but ill trim them off for you tomorrow, take some more pics and get some dims, or, you can cast these if you like?

lee

18. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your offer to cast the parts, but don't seems to be too complicated, so I'll enjoy making them from scratch.
    I wait your photos tomorrow. That will be enough. Thanks a lot.
    Rafa

19. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Rafa, at first I didnt understand that you were building the individual parts from scratch. Amazing!

I will attempt to help with photos of kit parts.

20. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hi Nighteyes.

I remember you were one of the members of this forum that I got bored with my questions. :$
    Thank you very much for your help in the past, and I look forward to those pictures that you offer.

Best regards.
    Rafa

21. Rats

Rats Sr Member

Holy moly! That is incredible work Rafa, I had to look twice at the Hurricane part, and I still think it's as good as the original. This is going to be a thread to watch and learn from. :cool :cool :thumbsup :thumbsup

22. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Rafa, I hope this will help and sorry I have not yet been able to make the droid strips available.

[​IMG]

23. eagle1

Hey Rafa, here's some pics of the Airfix Scharnhorst, Frog Whitley Whitworth, Hasegawa Essex & Airfix Harrier parts for you.
    Ask away if you need more specific shots or measures mate.
    Hope they help?.
    Stu

24. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hi Nighteyes.

Thank you very much for the image. It's really useful for me. I always thought that these pieces were flatter.:)
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Stu, these images are a great treasure for my project. Especially the Harrier pics …I'm getting *.:love
    I can't find words to thank you for your valuable cooperation.

Rafa

25. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hello Stu.

By working with your images, I found a serious doubt. According to the measurements I took from them, it seems that my blueprints were wrong. But if I took as reference the Panther part, it seems that my plans are correct. This is driving me crazy.:eek

Can you please tell me the exact measurements of this central part of the Scharnhorst?

I wait these measures with great anxiety. :confused

Rafa

26. atom

atom Active Member

Hi! Moska.:)

One thing is certain. From my point of view, as for the length of panther part, your plan is correct.:thumbsup

27. eagle1

Hey Rafa, ok, hope these actual measures help?.
    The extreme length of the Scharnhorst middle section is 65.5mm & the extreme width is 20mm.
    The cut-down Panther part sits in a space 21.5mm x 18.25mm.
    These are exact measures Rafa, so you were'nt too far off mate!.
    Just shows, even pics with rulers next to them can distort to give slightly off measures.
    Stu

28. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Well, I already thought my drawings surely are not 100% accurate :behave but is not a catastrophic situation and I can ignore it.
    I feel very relieved.
    I was very worried that my plans and my pieces were bull**** and would have to start again.
    Thank you very much for the information.

Stu, your photos of the Harrier parts have been tremendously helpful and I have already prepared the plans to build them. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas friends. :cheers
    Rafa

Note: I hope to finish the Messer part tomorrow. New pics coming soon…

29. rahman

rahman Active Member

A Perfectionist...!

Congratulations...

My only concern is the nose and the fuselage...!

None of them is perfect still...!!!

But I have fait in you...

Best...

30. atom

atom Active Member

Hey! Moska-san!:)

I made a comparison pic.
    At least length and the placement of the parts, both of us are the same opinion.:thumbsup

Anyway, Happy Christmas!:cheers

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  31. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hi atom-san.

I am glad that you confirm that my plans are correct.
    I respect your discretion for the phenomenal job you're doing in your X-Wing, for your attention to detail and accuracy.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I invested too much time on my drawings taking all kinds of references available and, honestly, I was very worried when I couldn't fit with eagle1 pics. Apparently, these pics showed more distortion of the apparent at first sight.

Thank you very much for your interest.:)

Rafa

32. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Not completely finished yet but here are some pics of the Messerschmitt part as promised.

Thanks for looking.

Rafa

Attached Files:

33. atom

atom Active Member

Hi! Rafa-san.:)

Amazing work!
    It 's unbelievable!

I am glad these pics might help.:thumbsup

34. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Rafa,

Your approach to breaking down the piece into workable shapes is wonderful, and has given me inspiration to take a fresh look at some of the scratch bits I have been working on.

Well done

Ozzy

35. justice88

justice88 New Member

Its just amazing !!

36. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Hi Moska, your work is unbelievable. There is no 3D printing involved here at all, is there? Also, how do you make those tiny bolt heads?

37. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

atom, ozzyguanche, justice88…
    thank you very much for your kind words.:)

Hey crackerjazz, if you look at the first photo in my previous post, the piece that is on the left is the base of the group, and if you look closely, you'll see that there are already holes made ​​to place these bolts. You only need to introduce through those holes small bits of stretched plastic and paste them, once dried, lightly sand until they matched at the correct height.
    It's really easy to do.:)

38. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

New pics.

The finished Messer part, also the Ticonderoga, and currently working on the piece of Panzerspähwagen 232 that goes into the rear cap of the X-Wing.

I temporarily put aside the droidstrip to see if I can do the part of the Panzerspähwagen because it's a complex piece and I'm not sure if I could get a result that satisfies me. If I can't get it, I'll have to buy the kit. At the moment everything is going ok but ... we'll see how it ends.:rolleyes

Of the remaining pieces, the only worry because I still don't know how I'll make, is that of Bandai 1/15 Stug or Hummel. The piece is not complicated, but the center hole with gear teeth is what I have not decided which may be the best way to do it. I accept ideas and suggestions. :confused

Many thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

39. eagle1

Absolutely stunning work Rafa. Each piece is a work of art, I'm blown away by how crisp & precise your work is. How you did that Essex part is just mind-boggling, knowing just how small this part really is mate!.:love

Great start to the 8-rad part Rafa. If your'e not happy with your final scratched part, don't buy the kit, I have a spare I can give you. Of course, I think you'll be able to pull it off.

It is an honor Sir to be viewing this amazing build, from scratch, with not one resin part to be seen.:)

Stu

40. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Thanks to eagle1 and Rodmart85 who were kind enough to send detailed pictures of these pieces, I've finished the first piece of the Harrier. I used the technique I call "The Skewer technique" :lol (When you see the pictures you will understand why this name).

Based on the photographs, I can figure out how to separate the target piece into small parts easy to make and work and that, once joined together, shape the final piece.
    When these small pieces are joined on each other forming several layers, it'll make a axis point that will help me to position each in its proper place with no mistake. I make a hole of 0.6 mm at the axis point of each piece and, as seen in the pics, I just need to pass through these holes a small plastic rod forming a small skewer of plastic parts that results in the desired final piece.

In the pictures below you can see the entire process, including the drawings I did for this part of the Harrier. I print these plans with a laser printer and stuck the printed paper on the sheets of appropriate thickness styrene using 3M repositionable adhesive spray. So I can cut each of the small pieces with great precision, making this job a lot easier than it seems at first sight.:love

Thanks for looking and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Rafa

Attached Files:

41. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Stu. Many thanks for your kind words and for your offer on the 8-rad part.

You live in New Zealand and I live in Spain… uhmm… that's exactly at the other side of the world…
    Hey, Stu. Look just below you, between your feet. There, a little further down is where I am.:lol

Now seriously, I think the shipping charges may be overkill for only a small piece of plastic.

And the honor is mine to get the kind interest and collaboration from people as talented as you are.(y)thumbsup

Rafa

42. eagle1

The praise is well deserved Rafa, only the brave take the route your'e going down.

Postage costs for the one part are not that much mate, if you need the part, it's yours, I can cover it, no problem.
    Stu

43. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

The part of the 8-rad Panzerspäwagen completed.

For to get the details on the four corners of this piece, the rounded pieces with bolts, I used a simple technique that allows me to copy small details like these quickly and avoiding the use of resins or other chemicals.

First I make a single detail taking care of its accuracy, and stick it on a flat piece of styrene. I also do some Milliput putty balls and let them dry for 1 or 1.5 hours. Then I impregnated with talcum powder both the master's and Milliput balls to prevent them from sticking and I press the putty balls against the master to capture the details, getting a negative mold of the piece. Once the putty has hardened completely (+ / -24 hours), I use plastic rods extracted from the sprues of any model kit and heat up one end with a lighter flame. When the plastic is very liquid, I firmly press the end of the rod against the inside of the mold and wait a few seconds for the plastic to cool before lifting the rod. This way I get plastic copies of the detail I want and just need a little sanding to get a crisp outline before slicing off the detail of the rod.

I hope this little tip can be useful for some of you.:cool

Stu, thanks again for your kindness. I think my piece from scratch will do the job well.

Thanks for looking.

Rafa

Attached Files:

44. eagle1

Ha, yeah, that 8-rad part will do fine Rafa, awesome job.
    I knew you'd pull it off anyhoo mate, piece of cake really:lol.
    Stu

45. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Very, very inspiring, Rafa. This is really amazing. Thanks for showing us step-by-step.

46. greeble_gremlin

greeble_gremlin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow!

Your scratch building prowess (and patience) is amazing

Nice work! :cool

47. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hey fellas.
    Thank you very much. Your kind words really encourage me to continue my efforts.:cool

Today I finished the second part of the Harrier. Again I used the "skewer technique" to connect the eleven small pieces that comprise it (maybe this time a little extreme).:behave

Thanks for looking.

Rafa

Attached Files:

48. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Excellent job! Can't help but give a comment everytime you post something, Rafa. Wish I could see what tools you use and how you do it. I'm glued to this thread.

49. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Hi Crackerjazz.
    As always, thank you very much for your interest and I am very happy that you find useful my little tricks.

My tools are simple, no expensive or sophisticated machinery here. Of course, I have my little treasures, which are nothing special, but I use them quite often and am used to them from long ago.:love

In future posts I will try to show my favorite tools and how I use them.

My best wishes,
    Rafa

50. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Building the base of the droidstrip, the piece of the Scharnhorst.
    Some circular parts, like the pieces of the Yamato, I do using my mini drill for lathing.

Thanks for looking.:)

Rafa

Attached Files: