1/24 X-Wing near 100% from scratch

Moska

Sr Member
This is the story:
After investing more than a year and half on to make my own plans and a 3D model, and boring to some kind members of this forum with my questions about some parts id, I have finally begun real work.

This is only the first step:

Attachments

• hurricane-01.jpg
    hurricane-01.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,112
Yes, we all know this part, and we all know that it comes from 1/24 Airfix Hurricane kit but, it really looks with other eyes when you've built it from scratch and have invested in it about 20-24 hours of work.

( I have the intimate hope that most of you haven't noticed that this image was not the original part :$).

The reason I chose this piece to start my project is because this is the part that I found most difficult and complicated to replicate due to its wide range of volumes, shapes and small details. I thought this piece would be a good test to see if my skills were sufficient to meet this challenge.

This is my project: To build an SS X-Wing from scratch and make all necessary parts for it.

Luckily I have several of the donors kits.
The rest? I'm not willing to pay a lot of money for the kits that I need to complete the model (economical crisis, you know).

These are the kits I have:

- 1/144 Airfix Apollo Saturn V
- H0 Airfix Harrow Locomotive
- 1/76 Airfix German Panther Tank
- 1/72 Hasegawa M4 Sherman
- 1/32 Revell Phantom F4J
- 1/76 Fujimi Elephant

I know this is going to be a long and difficult project, but working from scratch has always been a challenge for me and the most funny side of modeling, so I have no hurry and I hope to enjoy for loooong hours.
I'm aware that my scratch build parts will never be perfect, but I 'm determined to try it as far as I'm able to go.

I opened this new thread thinking on the possibility that some of you will be interested on to follow my progress but, above all, because I need your help! for to know with more detail some of the pieces that I'll need to make from scratch.

In the next first image I've colored the parts I need more graphic references, and would greatly appreciate if any other member would like to share on this thread some good pictures of these parts in which can be appreciate all the volumes and details. Don't care if the pics shows the original parts or if they are from any good resin castings.

To end this first post, here are some pictures of the creation process on the Hurricane piece.

Thank you very much for visiting this thread, and many thanks in advanced for your contributions.

Rafa

Attachments

• hurricane-02.jpg
    hurricane-02.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 843
  • hurricane-03.jpg
    hurricane-03.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 836
  • hurricane-04.jpg
    hurricane-04.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 847
  • hurricane-05.jpg
    hurricane-05.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 792
  • hurricane-06.jpg
    hurricane-06.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 794
This will be a cool one to watch, the hard work/economical approach. Looks like you have a great start :thumbsup

Muy bien trabajo Rafa!!!

La hurricane pieza esta perfecta, una construcion complicada.

And I agree it is very gratifying when you have scratch built it yourself. I look forward to watching your progress on this one.

Ozzy

Hi! Moska-san!:)

You have quite a technique that I never thought about.
What a man, you are.
Please tell me anytime if I can help you.

God speed!:thumbsup

Last edited:
That is real model building.
This will be an eye opening build thread.
Thats why I love this place.
We learn new stuff every day.

Many thanks for your kind words folks :love.

Next part is 1/24 Airfix Messerschmitt, I'm already working on.

Rafa

Hi! Moska-san!:)

You have quite a technique that I never thought about.
What a man, you are.
Please tell me anytime if I can help you.

God speed!:thumbsup

Hi atom-san.

You already are helping me. I'm following your thread "CCX remodeling ! into X-WING RED2" and collecting all the images you share because they are very useful for my project.

Thanks a lot for your great work.

I literally did a double take here Raf, thats some AMAZING work there!

lee

Hi Lee.

It gives me pride that a Premium Member of this great forum is interested in following my modest progress.
Thank you very much and hope not to disappoint anyone.

Most impressive! I'm looking forward to see you working on the main body!

Hello imkold.

Will initiate the main body only when all the detailing parts are completed, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait quite a while.

Many thanks for looking.

Rafa

Hey Rafa, that 'Hurri' part is just incredible, not an easy thing to do for sure!. I thought scratching parts in 1/12th was hard, but this is just insane, but very, very cool:cool.
It is amazing though, just what can be achieved in styrene, not many folks wish to take this route which is a shame.
Will be watching this build with keen interest, can't wait to see your next part Rafa & of course how you tackle the fuselage.
Stu

This is looking great Rafa. This seems to be the future of modelbuilding. I envy folks who can just draw it up and grow/ print the perfect model. Looking forward to you're build.

Hi eagle1 and jedimester.

Thank you for your support of my project.

Yes, I love the styrene. Almost everything in a model can be created with it.
For me, modelbuilding consists in this, work on each piece to perfect it to the limit I can reach.

I hate concepts as "SnapFast" or "Prepainted" :sick
What relationship do these concepts with the real modelbuilding?

My fun is to build models. Once completed, happens the same thing that with a good book : you've enjoyed a lot while you read it, but once finished, only remains the adquired experience and the memory of those good moments.
Yes, the finished model is a pride and a pleasure to look at from time to time. But I need to get my hands on work, so that the best model is always the next one.

Take this opportunity to remind visitors that I still need good and close pics of the colored pieces I ask.

Thanks for looking.
Rafa

Raf is this any good? sorry its a bit hack and slash, just ran up, dug out the kit and shot over the 10mm squares on my cutting board, heres the Bandai Shiden.

lee
Shiden003.jpg

Many thanks Lee.

It's a good and useful pic but, I still need to see the highness of the part and his details.

New pics taken from off-axis angles will be perfect.

Thanks again for your help.:cheers
Rafa

OK, wont have time this evening, off to work in a mo, but ill trim them off for you tomorrow, take some more pics and get some dims, or, you can cast these if you like?

lee

or, you can cast these if you like?

Thank you very much for your offer to cast the parts, but don't seems to be too complicated, so I'll enjoy making them from scratch.
I wait your photos tomorrow. That will be enough. Thanks a lot.
Rafa

Hi Rafa, at first I didnt understand that you were building the individual parts from scratch. Amazing!

I will attempt to help with photos of kit parts.

Hi Rafa, at first I didnt understand that you were building the individual parts from scratch. Amazing!

I will attempt to help with photos of kit parts.

Hi Nighteyes.

I remember you were one of the members of this forum that I got bored with my questions. :$
Thank you very much for your help in the past, and I look forward to those pictures that you offer.

Best regards.
Rafa

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back