1/24 scale Ralph McQuarrie A Wing scratchbuild

REL

Sr Member
This is a master I'm working on for someone that will be producing a resin kit.

It's about 1/4 larger than the regular A Wing fighter seen in the movie as you can see from the pilot.

ralph_8.jpg

First I made the basic hull shape for vac forming.

rma_01.jpg

Then formed two pieces as the top and bottom are the same shape.

rma_03.jpg

Parts together, I will square out the nose with a separate piece.
rma_04.jpg

Re: 1/24 scale Ralph McQuarrie A Wing

I always loved that artwork. Looking forward to seeing this built.

BTW, did the Defiant ever get finished? I really want to see how that turned out...

Interesting. I worked on one of these awhile back, but got pulled off onto other things. I know Bar did one a few years ago and even saw a copy at Jimi Clancey's and Scott Scariot's table back in 09 at WonderFest. Looking forward to seeing how this proceeds,

Well Rich, I may have to start saving the money now for this one being that your making it so it can go with my RMQ X-Wing you made. "If it is from Long its got to be good!". Can't wait to see this one. I don't know about the catch phrase sounds like from a soup commercial Lol.

Nice project. I always liked the RMQ stuff. It's amazing that even over these years the designs still hold up to this day.
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

this is going to be cool, will be following this thread closely! great job so far

This is now just going to be a one off and not a kit. It took me several tries to get the canopy glass clear enough on the vac former.

Thanks

rma_05.jpg

rma_06.jpg

Canopy parts aren't fully trimmed up yet.
rma_07.jpg

Amazing how you can whip this together in a couple of months Richard, just amazing and damn even the primer looks good Lol!

Last edited:

Not only have you captured the concept well, but you make it look so good that it's convincing as a piece of aerospace engineering. If I didn't know what this was, I'd think it could fly.

Thanks guys. Here's the size difference between the concept and the regular A Wing. I based it on the size of the pilot in the painting compared to the pilot in the studio model. It's like a super A Wing.

Here's a pic with my 24 scale X Wing, and the resin 24 scale A Wing from Modelnutz.

rma_18.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back