1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Last edited:
1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Yup! I'm on my way to pick up the old one. I'll give ya $5 for your troubles...

But seriously. I wouldn't change a thing. Yours is amazing. Great reference for the "desktops" and doorway tho

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Yup! I'm on my way to pick up the old one. I'll give ya $5 for your troubles...

But seriously. I wouldn't change a thing. Yours is amazing. Great reference for the "desktops" and doorway tho

LOL! 5 bucks? Man... I'm robbing you!

I'm sure there will be MANY changes between the cockpit I'm creating and the 2nd cockpit for the full scale build - especially with material. I suspecting the original designers used acrylic or plexi for the cockpit panels - IMO.

Thanks for the kind words. 2 more weekends (4 days left) before the GMX show. I'm going to really pace myself!

Hi Gang,

With all the canopy fun going on I completely forgot about one VERY important element of this build that I MUST HAVE before the GMX show. The ESB extension doesn't have a platform to rest. I HAVE to build the platform and stain the beast before the show. Thankfully it's only 15" deep so it should fit in the trailer. UGH... Now... If I can only remember what casters I used...

UMMM... Chris? ;)

I'm sure Chewie would be appreciating the extra headroom while it's available :)
Remaking that top panel was definitely a good move, looks perfect now (circles are important)

Hi C,

I hope so. next to leg room, head room is just as important. Yeah... the front face of the upper canopy panel was really bugging me - it just didn't look right. I'm glad I changed it out. And yes, circles are important. Especially round ones... ;)

I've been reading the whole thread and you Sir are my hero! WOW! Amazing job on that difficult project. As for skinning, you can always cut grooves into your panels (mdf or others) to bend and round any forms/angles easily.

Hi J,

My apologies for not seeing your post. Thank you very much for the kind words. The project has been difficult, easy, fun, frustrating, everything above, below and in between! But what a fantastic ride... :)

Thanks for the "tip". I found some great material called "Bendy Board" that bends and cuts easily - tough to sand though. I have some thinner material but it splinters even with the finest blades... So I stuck with the Bendy Board.

Thanks again! Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

I just felt like posting this picture from "Star Wars Archives"...
1379478_704861402874507_1497240781_o.jpg

Have you tried taping the cut lines to prevent splintering?

I tried everything with this particular ply - it's only 3 layers (1/8" - I think). It could have been the manufacturer brand or I bought a few bad panels. Every now and then I'll get a really bad MDF panel. Such is life I guess... :)

I noticed you're in B'Ham! Are you coming for the GMX show in N'Ville, TN? Would love to see ya!

I just felt like posting this picture from "Star Wars Archives"...
View attachment 243048

Love that pic! That exact pic helped me get passed a couple of hurdles for the canopy. But I can't figure out what they're working on... it looks like some kind of panel...

- - - Updated - - -

I think Greg needs a couple of those saw horses lol

LOL! They would definately help...

Try to use a router with a flush trim bit and a guide when cutting the thinner materials. It will produce a crisp, professional edge. If you don't already own a router, a small one hand would work and they are really inexpensive at a place like Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply.

Hey C,

I actually tried that but the panel was SO BIG I didn't have enough flat space to level the panel while I was trying to cut it. It was VERY frustrating.

Hi Gang,

As you all know by now I pour over any and all images of the MF looking for any and all details that will help with the build. Well... She isn't called the "Ship of Riddles" for nothing!

As most of you know I've been working on the canopy and creating what appears to be window "channels" on all the canopy beams. This "channel" is, from what I can tell, for the plexi to slip into place when the cockpit is /was put together... From the inside looking out... it appears those dark lines are in fact window channels...

Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

However, when looking from the outside, the windows/glass appears to be near flush with the outer skin.

So... Did they know about "double pane" glass a Long Time Ago in Galaxy Far Far Away or is this just another Riddle we need to figure out?

Love that pic! That exact pic helped me get passed a couple of hurdles for the canopy. But I can't figure out what they're working on... it looks like some kind of panel...

It's a preview of Han Solo in Episode 7, making repairs.

Hi Gang,

As you all know by now I pour over any and all images of the MF looking for any and all details that will help with the build. Well... She isn't called the "Ship of Riddles" for nothing!

As most of you know I've been working on the canopy and creating what appears to be window "channels" on all the canopy beams. This "channel" is, from what I can tell, for the plexi to slip into place when the cockpit is /was put together... From the inside looking out... it appears those dark lines are in fact window channels...

However, when looking from the outside, the windows/glass appears to be near flush with the outer skin.

So... Did they know about "double pane" glass a Long Time Ago in Galaxy Far Far Away or is this just another Riddle we need to figure out?

There does seem to be an inconsistency between the interior and outside views.

To me it would make sense for you to match your build with the interior view if you have to choose since you are building from the inside out. Otherwise you could do a compromise and just move the window channels closer to the exterior. Looking at that outside view with Han working on the Falcon it also seems that the window framework on their exterior build is much lighter on the inside - you can barely see it at all.

Another thing you can see in the exterior shot is that the parts of the window frame that run front to back seem to taper slightly towards the front. In the interior view it's not really possible to tell if that's the case due to the perspective causing the same effect. The exterior shot of the interior set posted the other day looks like that build didn't feature tapered framework. (that's a confusing sentence I know)
1-1-millennium-falcon-console-replica-1379478_704861402874507_1497240781_o.jpg

In the interior shot it does look like there could be a second window channel but I think that is just the matte line showing up - if you added a second layer of glass it would give a weird looking double reflection when viewed from the outside which would be quite different from the way the ship looks in the films.

I think any differences between your build and the original sets are unnoticeable until pointed out and probably unavoidable due to multiple sets being involved for the filming. I absolutely don't think it's a problem. If it ever comes up in conversation just say "I made a lot of special modifications myself" ;)

It looks to me like it's the exterior skin, made from something thin and flexible enough that it can just be wrapped onto the curved surface after all the detailing has been done (the detail does seem to be the same sort of paneling texture that we see on the outside of the cockpit). Could be a nice easy method for doing the skin.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back