1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by SteveStarkiller, May 7, 2012.

1. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

Hi Folks,

It's with great pleasure that I announce this new project. A 1:1 replica of the Millennium Falcon's main console (with ESB details)

Some of you may know about my Millennium Falcon sketchup cockpit thread (which has grown to include the rest of the interior of the falcon, the exterior of the fullscale falcon, and docking bay 94, and which can been seen here)

Recently, fellow RPFer SofaKing01 purchased my model of the center console, which I had designed in sketchup in 1:1 scale from production blueprints, and then which I detailed from screencaps and behind the scenes materials. He has begun the build already, and, even if I say so, the results are looking fantastic (see attachments for more images)

[​IMG]

we are also working on a greeble map for the cockpit, and we're hoping to get some help identifying parts.

[​IMG]

As you can see, we have a few parts nailed. But as rest the rest:

Help us RPF... you're our only hope.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. mattkelly

mattkelly Active Member

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Subscribing subscribing subscribing!!!

3. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang,

SofaKing01 here (aka Greg). After many years of looking at all the great builds I decided to become a member with the idea that I would tackle something "simple" like a 1/48th X-Wing build. Having built and blown up models as a kid... my 30+ year break was over. Everyone here had inspired me to shake the dust off and get back to building. And for that I thank you all.

I stumbled across Stevestarkiller's amazing 3D model of the MF and it simply BLEW ME AWAY! His attention to detail was mind boggling. How many of us thought we were actually in the MF? Then I remembered the 1:1 scale MF being built in TN - just an hour or so away from where I live... then I got to thinking... HMMMMMM... What if...

I contacted Stevestarkiller and we chatted and before I knew it, I was studying his 3D model of the MF cockpit control panel and made the decision to jump in and build the one thing MOST OF US HERE have dreamt about doing - sitting behind the wheel of the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

With Stevestarkiller's help he was able to get me ALL the dimensions necessary to start the console build. After a few trips to the local home improvement store and only one mis-measurement (GRRRR)... I created the basic shell in just a few hours.

Now... this is a VERY rough shell and there is still an incredible amount of work to do to include the daunting task of identifying any and all parts on the console and in the cockpit in general. I'm hoping to have working switches, lights, throttles and even the working monitor Han used to find the Lando System.

The overall plan is once the console is finished I will donate it to Chris Lee and his full scale MF build. What better way to finish off a project than to send it where it belongs. : )

I hope you guys take the time to drop by and give us tips, tricks and any and all input in helping bring the console to life.

More to come! Stay Tuned!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    darthcue, DarthDerf and Leigh like this.
  4. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

Can I go for a ride when it's done??

This looks to be very promising!

5. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

ABSOLUTELY! The more the merrier! I was very surprised at how narrow the entire console actually is. Naturally I had to sit at the console... But it does explain the tight shots when fiming.

6. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

LOL you chaps have opened a can all up in here! Only one way to top this.

7. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang,

Just a quick note... Stevestarkiller let me know that Chris Lee's full scale MF build is based on the ESB version. As many of us know there were substantial changes made to the cockpit and hull from the ANH version - as the story expanded... so did the prop.

There are several images of the ESB cockpit and console that DO in fact conflict with one another. Stevestarkiller and I have been able to find a few of these conflicts but can use your help and trained eyes. Having built the 3D model with such detail, I can't think of anybody with a more trained eye than Stevestarkiller! : )

Thanks

SK

8. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Oh man, I can't wait to watch the progress of this amazing project!!!!! Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!!!

9. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Member

No worries. I actually have a fairly slender build. My user name and avatar are all just for show!

10. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Member

And.... subscribed.

11. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

O.M.G, This is going to be epic! I'm so subscribed.

12. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hey Gang! Updates are on their way... I made a lot of progress this afternoon. I added a lip to the inside panels and then attached the top/skins as to keep with the original measurements. I didnt get as far as I would like... I gotta eat...

Tomorrow I will continue adding the top panels, more filler and address the instrument panels. I will also be making the support structure as well. I'm not sure whether to create the actual seat support...

Once everything is finished I have to decide how to skin the panel itself. Stevestarkiller had heard that the designers used solid color linolium / Formica - blacks and greys. Anybody have any ideas? I also have to think about how the switches and buttons will mount. I would really like a clean look - as if its an actual instrument panel. Again... any ideas?

Stevestarkiller has the latest images and he's posting them ASAP...

Thanks

SK

Hope you guys enjoy!

13. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

EXCELLENT!

14. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Ive always wanted to have something like this or a Spinner interior, cant wait to see the finished product and the journey to it.:thumbsup

15. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang,

I apologize for the delay with getting the new pics posted. I'll be getting them uploaded as soon I'm off work.

Also... I was chatting with a buddy of mine and he seems to think the MF pilots chairs are nothing more than armchairs from the 60s/70s. I did a basic search on Ebay last night and didnt find anything that remotely looked similar... I'll try the vintage furniture sites next.

If anybody has any ideas... PLEASE let us know!

More to come! And again, sorry for the delay...

16. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

17. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

As promised... UPDATES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out my awesome pilots chair... Yeah... I sat there... (hanging head in shame)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Matthothwalker likes this.
  18. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

More updates! Although you can't see much of them... I added support to the main structure along with more top panels, filler and sanding. By the looks of it... that's a console...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come!

19. SteveStarkiller

Man! this is shaping up great. keep going!

20. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hey S,

Thanks! I still have LOTS of sanding to do to get the edges where I want them. But overall I'm very happy with the shape. Those instrument panels are looking a little lonely...

21. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang,

I'm going to need a little help identifying a few key parts to the console. First off is the rocker style knobs used on the instrument panel. They are the same as the slider knobs behind Chewie's cockpit seat as well the knobs seen in the "couch" near the chess board.

Next are the square buttons. We're not sure whether these are simple plastic pieces painted and then backlit or if they are actual push buttons. I would like to use actual push buttons to help add a little bit of realism.

Finally... the dreaded 2-3" dome style lights seen throughout the series. I've done an extensive search for these lights with chrome trim and so far I have been unable to find anything. I have found a few arcade style lights that might pass but I really want to find the actual lights used.

I just stumbled across this light - it's not a dome light but it is close... And I'm assuming it's 35mm

http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/rbm730sexx.htm

OK Gang... any ideas?

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  22. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

23. MJ302

MJ302 New Member

I love this! I will be watching this thread for sure.
    :thumbsup

24. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi C,

Stevestarkiller told me the same thing about the buttons and switches - makes sense. No reason to go overboard on a prop that isnt going to see a whole lot of screen time.

For me, the reason / goal in creating the panel was to not only help Chris Lee and his project, but to have a more interactive experience not just build a static display. I've done a lot of looking online and found similar working buttons but I've had no luck on the rocker / slider knobs (at least not that size). I've been chatting with a former Vickers pilot and he told me the rockers are similar to those found on a G-1 overhead panel. He said he has 22 working rockers for sale at 12 each. But they are all the same shape.

Too all our members - anybody out there willing to tackle the possibility of creating some illuminated rocker/slider knobs out of resin? Like the backlit buttons, they are located EVERYWHERE throughout the MF.

OK... off to work. Stay Tuned

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  25. Canobi

Hi

Got any good referance pics and measurements of the switch/button you want casting? I'm hopefully going to be making some moulds and casts in the next few weeks. I could include a few small items if you want, plus it'll help use any left overs I have of the silicone and resins that don't get used.

26. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Canobi!

Thanks for the fantastic offer! And to think you'll be forever memorialized! : )Everything we have is based solely off of images you've probably seen before. Most of the detail work has been done by Stevestarkiller and his AMAZING 3D rendering of the Falcon.

In this link you'll see all the buttons/knobs in question. The vertical panel mounted knobs behind Chewie's station and the knobs on the instrument console. If you scroll through the page you'll see what I'm referring to.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-cockpit-cg-model-102451/index3.html

There are 27 rocker style knobs on the instrument panel and 24 (various shaped slider knobs) on the vertical mounted panel - and more throughout the cockpit. They all appear to have a bulb or means of illumination or just a simple black dot.

Let me ask Stevestarkiller if he knows off hand what the dimensions are to the knobs.

Thanks again for the tremendous offer!

27. Canobi

No prob, buttons will be biscuits compared to what I'm trying to make :lol
    I have to admit I'm a bit of a casting noob, but enthusiastic and nerdy enough to have all the theory and tools ready. tiny bit of practice (I've used resin but not silicone) coupled with a heavy dose of perfectionism and a head for engineering should make for the right credentials :confused

28. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

UPDATES!!!!

The shell is about 90% complete!!! I added more supports and added thickness to the instrument panels and finally laid the last of the panel tops to the console. Just a few more things and she's ready for her next layer of clothes...

Stevestarkiller forwarded the dimensions to the console support but this may require a little rework due to the heaviness of the front end of the console.

This weekend I hope to work on the monitor screen surround along with the throttle surround.

In all... she may not look like much... but she's got it where it counts!

Enjoy

3/4 x 1.5 strips to add bulk to the instrument panels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All secure
    [​IMG]

Perfect Fit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last of the panels added...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to add a little more filler, one more strip of wood top to the very top and it's on to the base...

I do have ONE question... How the heck am I going to properly connect the top instrument panel to the bottom instrument panel without it flexing / breaking? Ideas?

Stay Tuned!

29. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang,

I've been doing a little research and it turns out that laminate has come a LONG way. Several companies now offer laminate (the kind used for counter tops) with a metallic look. Although we haven't decided exactly what to skin the console with, a dark metal metallic and a brushed stainless steel might work really well together. The overall look should be be close to the original?

Any thoughts?

I've also located 2in reflectors with a chrome bezel. Although these are NOT the lights we've all been looking for... this is about as close as I've come to finding those mysterious lights.

Let me know your thoughts.

http://206.214.209.238/~uapac/site/index.php?cPath=16_37_72

More to come

30. SteveStarkiller

board's finally back up!

Man, this is continuing to look great.

not sure what you mean about the upper and lower instrument panels?

31. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang!

UPDATES! I built the underside support. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost ready to skin! Any ideas?

32. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Minor update. I was able to create a sample "Throttle Quadrant" piece. I'm going to use this to test the formica skin. I was able to find a few cool items on Ebay.

Throttle
    [​IMG]

Rolls Royce Elbow & Screen Shot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updated Console
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow! Stay Tuned!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  33. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

This build is sooo cool. Would you permit me a slight course deviation? I'm so glad you're doing the ESB version, because of the control yokes. One of the things I hate most about space movies is "flying the ship with buttons." (Forbidden World features a particularly egregious example.) I was so happy to see that the MF got yokes for ESB, after seeing Chewie rocking out at the control panel, flying the ship by rocker switch, during the escape from the Death Star. But perhaps that explains why Han's "few maneuvers" consisted of lazy drifts in one direction or another. (h/t Family Guy)

I just had to get that off my chest. It's been there a long time. Thanks. ;)

And now, back to the awesomeness.

34. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Listing to the left? That's your move?

The ESB version is so much better than the original... but when we say better... we also mean more GREEBLIES! It's been a nightmare (in a good way) trying to find all the different parts.

You know you either have no life or your dedicated to a project when you search the net for a 2" Dome Light...

Glad you're enjoying the build! I'm quickly realizing I'm not 18 anymore... my body is VERY upset with all the twisting, and the bending and the up and down...

I'm hoping to have the console skinned by the end of the weekend. That will really make the difference. I'll know immediately when the throttle housing is finished. I'm really excited!

Stay Tuned!

35. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I found that elbow on eBay awhile ago. I'm not sure it's the right model though. The ones used in SW (also seen in the Falcon gunport) have 5 mount holes around a pentagon shaped base. This one appears to be square-ish with 4 mount holes.
    That elbow is from a Rolls Royce Dart (which was used on the Viscount), but I'm guessing the correct elbow might be larger and from a Rolls Royce Derwent (also another famous source for SW parts).

That is a nice piece though. As long as it's pretty close in size no one would notice.

36. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

REAL TIME UPDATES!

I bought a HUGE piece of formica this morning and tested the sample throttle housing - other than cutting the formica to shape, the process is VERY easy. Cut a piece to shape, roll contact cement/adhesive to each piece, wait until dry to touch, and then lay the two pieces together.

I'm now taking the plunge to skin one side. With the piece this big I'll use wood to act as guides before laying into position.

Practice piece
    [​IMG]

Prepping for skin
    [​IMG]

Tough to see but there is a layer of contact cement...
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for the results!

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  37. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

The skin has been laid... now we play the waiting game...

Lay pieces of wood across the panel and adjust position before laying into place. The contact cement is really strong and you have ONE SHOT to lay the formica!!!
    [​IMG]

I then laid the formica on top of the wood planks and adjusted/moved the skin to its correct position
    [​IMG]

Then I slowly removed each piece of wood, one at a time, while pressing the formica firmly into place. I then took a roller and rolled from the center out to make sure to remove any air bubbles and create a strong contact
    [​IMG]

I'll wait a few more minutes and then route the edges for a nice smooth finish. I then repeat this process on every panel... UGH...

38. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

TA-DA!!!!

edges are all routed and looking pretty good...
    [​IMG]

Gee... only 8 more sides to go...

39. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

UPDATES!

Both sides are now finished along with the back. I ran out of formica to do any of the larger panels... so I'm going to take the rest of the day off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to go back to the home improvement store and get another sheet of formica. I hope to have at least the console and the support skinned tomorrow. I'm holding off on the 2 instrument panels until I have better idea of how I'm going to mount the rockers and buttons. Both panels, like the original, are very thick so I need to figure out what to do... Better safe than sorry.

I will also be priming the console and working with MDF to try to make the little view screen located next to the throttle housing. The original viewscreen is / was a Mitchell matte box from and old 40's / 50's Mitchell movie camera. An original will cost 400-600 dollars and instead of destroying something of that value, I'll attempt to make IT myself and then paint it with a texture paint...

She's getting heavy too...

Stay Tuned!

40. Darth Humorous

Darth Humorous Well-Known Member

The paint on some of those old cameras looks like “crinkle black”. Baking the applied paint was involved to get the texture. I don’t think it is still available, but Eastwood carries an aerosol paint called “Black Wrinkle Finish Paint” that is supposed to look the same. No baking is required, but apparently 2 heavy coats are needed, and the texture appears in 12 hours.

Mark

41. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I forgot who posted this, but he measured it from a cast off a screen-used Vader chest box. There are several guys who cast these in resin. X-wing pilot's chest boxes use have them also.

42. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

UPDATES! Hey Mark... I was already one step ahead of you. Check it out.

I decided to try my hand at building the Mitchell Matte Box. I dont have a lot of wood working experience and the dimensions might be off a little bit... but in all I think it turned out great!

I created a template, printed and then cut the pieces out and layed them all on to MDF
    [​IMG]

To save time I then sprayed a little black paint over top to see where I'm supposed to cut... I know I know... it's not exact...
    [​IMG]

I then cut out each shape and drilled the appropriate sized hole in each corner where I could then cut out the inside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then routed both the inside and outside of the top piece
    [​IMG]

Then followed the same steps for each additional piece but only routed the inside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once they were all glued together I applied rock textured paint and sprayed the inside and out (although the outside will eventually be covered). Once dried, I will lightly sand down the texture and paint with a flat black to give the appearance of the old bakaing method that was used...

Enjoy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Add a few little chrome knobs and other bits and we have ourselves a monitor! I really wanted to put the box in place but the paint will take a while to dry... The nice thing about the textured paint is that covered up/filled in all the minor (major) imperfections. I know it's not perfect and as I mentioned I dont think the dimensions are correct, but at least now I know I can do it. And it really didnt take that long. If the measurements are if fact wrong I'll take the little guy and mount him to a little panel, add some lights and make a display out of it. :)

More to come

43. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hey DL,

Thanks so much for the post! We'll compare these against the dimensions Stevestarkiller did for his 3D MF model. Let's hope they're the same or Stevestakiller will not only have a little mod'ing to do but he'll have to account for his apparant lack of motivation!

44. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hi Gang,

Is anybody making/replicating C3POs knee pistons? I know there's a 3PO builders club but thought I would ask around here first.

The knee pistons were also used as part of the throttle. They would essentially replace the existing knobs shown here.

[​IMG]

Let me know if anybody has any information

Thanks

45. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Its raining today so I cant work on any of the panels... GRRRR... I will go to the home improvement store and pick up another piece of formica so I will at least have that if it stops raining.

The monitor turned out nice... but, as i predicted, was a LITTLE too small. Dont ask me how, but I got the measurements wrong. So, I am going to recreate the monitor screen in just a few minutes.

Yup... Just a little too small
    [​IMG]

Hope everybody is having a good weekend

Stay Tuned

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  46. SteveStarkiller

Looking great, that formica looks nice and clean!

so, looks like my rockers are a bit too big. I measured them off a rebel chest box, (from a face-on photo with a ruler in frame) I hadn't checked if it was screen accurate, lunk head that I am. It was close to the vader chestbox measurements and proportioned pretty well, but mine was about 120% too big.

a lesson about taking measurements off photos with rulers in them...

anyway, here's a comparison

[​IMG]

47. ReplicantShadow

ReplicantShadow Member

Wow! Going to be watching this thread! I have been analyzing and studying set design and construction methods so this up my alley these days! Looking killer so far!

48. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just wanted to pop in and say, AWESOME!!!! Looking really good so far. I know first hand what it is like to work with SteveStarkiller, his plans and details are top notch!!!

Great work so far SofaKing, I'm really looking forward to seeing you progress. This is going to be a great build!!!!!

49. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hey Fuzz,

Thats for the vote of confidence! I take any I can get! Starkiller is a really good guy and has been a tremendous help so far! How's your project coming along?

50. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

UPDATES!!!

I was able to pick up the LAST sheet of formica at the improvement store. It had several knicks on the edges so I got it for 70% off! I also picked some KILLZ primer for the practice Throttle Housing. And finally, created a larger monitor surround. Check out the results!

Followed the same process of cutting, routing and sanding as i did the previous version. Here they are side by side - slightly bigger this time
    [​IMG]

I also routed the inner edges as well to prep for the cover
    [​IMG]

The Throttle Housing with KILLZ primer and layer of flat black - it turned out perfect!
    [​IMG]

Both pieces resting on the console
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few coats of "Rock" texture paint. After it dries I'll lightly sand and give it a coat of flat black paint then add a few little chrome pieces I have laying around
    [​IMG]

It rained ALL day so I wasn't able to get to any formica. I should be getting the throttle quadrant this week. That will be an interesting process...

Stay Tuned!

Last edited: May 13, 2012