1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Hi Gang,

Well... I think I got it! I finished cutting and placing the back part of the canopy panels. I then drew an outline of the panel edges on the side facing the front. I then created a crude radius arm (I think that's what it's called) and was able to outline the inside diameter of the canopy. I will then use the same radius arm to create the outer edge of the canopy... Which is approx. 4 inches.

I then took a scrap piece of wood that was equal to a little more than half the width of the cockpit and drilled two holes - one for the pencil and the other for a tack. Using a larger scrap piece of wood, it extended across the width of the cockpit. I then found the center and tacked the arm in place. I then traced what I felt was the best possible diameter. I hope I was able to explain that... :)

Arm
20130729_170514_zpsa9543505.jpg

There are two sets of lines - straight edge panel lines and the diameter line
20130729_172218_zps1e9f2e80.jpg

You can see the piece of wood extending across the width of the cockpit
20130729_172743_zps7d74f3f1.jpg

(UPDATE) These pics show the arm I created to find the canopy diameter

Lower part of the arm. This is considered the "Center" of the arm and will rotate around this point (I think I got that) lol
20130729_174859_zps99b5591e.jpg

Away we go!
20130729_174914_zps0674ffe0.jpg

20130729_175010_zps1cce3556.jpg

20130729_175020_zpsfd4fd661.jpg

The dark area scribbled out shows where the canopy and panels will be exposed from either end. I think this is why the original designers used a thick moving cloth to hide the transition
20130729_172156_zps6e60fc52.jpg

20130729_172151_zps82d493f2.jpg

In all, the exposed areas are not that bad
20130729_172143_zpsdd2e2640.jpg

More to Follow!

Last edited:

I don't understand about the transitional issue between the circular canopy and the polygonal roof. Wouldn't the outside of the roof also have a round veneer? Can you show me photos of the moving blanket being used?

Hi Red,

Check out these images of the 3D model of the cockpit (Starkillers 3D model). As you can see the canopy is curved and the panels are hard edged. From the inside, you can see where the canopy overlaps the panels and is exposed. Hope these help...

Trans_zps6445539d.jpg

Trans2_zps3c9f2846.jpg

Here you can see the blanket that covers the transition - note the crisscross pattern of the stitching
5293175089_8d5955f774_bA_zps983feb18.jpg

Hi Gang,

One more for this evening... for fun I decided to overlay my build over top of Starkiller's 3D model... :)

3Dreal_zpsf1d145df.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Oh! The transitional issue is on the inside. I see. I always thought that diamond shaped padding was meant to look sort of NASA-ish.

The fact that the overlay lines up so damn close speaks, no yells, volumes about your carpentry skills on this. You must be from the 'measure 12 times, cut once' school of thought. Amazing. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Hey Sofaking I'm still working on my parts on this end . The hardest part is making them
look the same but I thought I'd give you a shout out.

Major Props sir. When I saw the overlay, I was actually listening to the imperial march as it happens and go chills up my spine.

If only I could build that fast! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing!

-Angel

Thanks so much! I'm really happy with the transition so far!

- - - Updated - - -

HOO-LEE ****

That overlay pic made something twitch down there...

I was shocked as well... I didn't expect it to line up that close! Kudos to Starkiller!

- - - Updated - - -

HOO-LEE ****

That overlay pic made something twitch down there...

I was shocked as well... I didn't expect it to line up that close! Kudos to Starkiller!

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that the overlay lines up so damn close speaks, no yells, volumes about your carpentry skills on this. You must be from the 'measure 12 times, cut once' school of thought. Amazing. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Hi L,

Thank you for the very kind words... believe it or not... this is the first time I've EVER attempted to do anything like this. As a kid I built skateboard ramps and graduated to sheds but this? I can't tell you how many mistakes I've made. But yes... measure 20-45 times and cut once! I learned that the hard way! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Sofaking I'm still working on my parts on this end . The hardest part is making them
look the same but I thought I'd give you a shout out.

AWESOME! Do you have any pics? Would love to see the progress! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Now that's a testament to great build quality right there! :cool

Thanks so much! Most of the credit goes to Starkiller! This would never been possible without his attention to detail! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Major Props sir. When I saw the overlay, I was actually listening to the imperial march as it happens and go chills up my spine.

Hi G,

Thank you! That's the ultimate compliment! Thank you so much!

Hi Gang... Sorry... No updates. It's started to rain the moment I got home from work...

Hi Gang,

I've been looking at the vertical light bars and I'm probably going to recreate the bars to allow for more light to pass through - the wood is too thick and there would be dark areas all the way around the frame. However, does anybody have any ideas on how to mount the frosted "plexiglass"? There are no visible mounts or brackets. I wonder if they simply used "super glue" to adhere them to the frame?

Ideas?

Some kind of adhesive for sure. Could have even been double sided tape. Remember, sets aren't built to last. ;)

I thought about the double stick tape... But I don't see ANY dark areas on the tops or bottoms of the plexiglass. You can see in this screenie there IS something to the left behind the plexiglass.
Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

But the designers changed the light bars in ESB. They added spacers behind the plexiglass panels (although, they did extended the cockpit for ESB).
Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

I wonder if the plexiglass panels "slid" in between the upper and lower panel? The frame would have had to be VERY thin at the front but thicker at the back? Maybe?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back