1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

The ESB looks like a plexi insert to me. If you look at the panels below the plexi, the one on the right is not aligned and appears to sit in front of the plexi. Maybe the plexi butts up from behind, and then oversized retainers (the spacers) were bent to wedge the plexi in from behind (like a tension-clip?) Just guessing, but if flexed plastic retainers were used for spacers, that could explain why they are not as dark at the centers. Or i could be completely wrong :lol

My guess has been that it slipped behind the Formica. Just a little rabbet in the wood frame and the plex would just nest right in there. Not very durable, but clean and simple...

My guess has been that it slipped behind the Formica. Just a little rabbet in the wood frame and the plex would just nest right in there. Not very durable, but clean and simple...

That would make sense to me. Another thought is that it may be fastened to something clear that still transmits light. Or glued along the edges to the surrounding panels. Again, not very durable but geed enough on set.

I wonder what the actual frame/housing was made of? Whatever was used and how the panels were installed had to endure all the shaking... hmmmm... I do like the idea of a "lip" that slides behind the edges of the adjacent panels. But that would mean I would have to modify those finished panels - not gonna happen! lol

Going to have to think this one through... Don't stop the ideas, gang! :)

I do like the idea of a "lip" that slides behind the edges of the adjacent panels.

See my latest post. I have some thin vinyl trim in an "F" profile. Maybe that is something you'd like to use? Seems like it would be a good holder for an edge.

Hi Gang,

Last night I added several "L" brackets across the bottom on the main platform. The idea is to help align and level out the two platforms when they join together. I realized early on that the garage floor was uneven and the platforms did not align perfectly (thus the shims I tried using)... Good news: the platforms now line up. Bad news: the side panels on the noze platform no longer line up with the straight edge panels... ugh... So... I'm going to have to remove the nose side panels one again and drill new holes and try to realign. I'm hoping they are not TOO far off and the 3rd large console platform no longer fits (which can easily be mod'd) or the front canopy arch doesn't fit. The arch should be ok as the amount of flex/play in the panels... pics coming soon... :)

Hi Gang,

THE COOLEST 3D print arrived today! THANK YOU STARKILLER! To save cost Starkiller had only one half of the part printed. I'm going to take several molds to create the final piece... ENJOY!!! :)

Just what the heck is this?
20130802_175812_zpsa087c70a.jpg

The nose knows!
20130802_175817_zpsa3642e9e.jpg

Front view
20130802_175836_zps24aa1451.jpg

Figure it out?
20130802_175903_zps77030196.jpg

The Quad Laser Tip! HOW COOL!
20130802_175934_zpse186f9c4.jpg

These will adhere to the PVC pipes I've cut finishing off the cannons!
20130802_175919_zps5fef3f54.jpg

Hey Hey! The weekend!

A couple things:
1. Can we see more of your dog? Please?
2. Why are you building the quad cannons? They're not part of the cockpit!

A couple things:
1. Can we see more of your dog? Please?
2. Why are you building the quad cannons? They're not part of the cockpit!

Hi Red,

The Quad is part of the overall full scale MF build. I needed to change gears during the cockpit build - didn't want to burn out focusing on one element.

And here is the pilot and copilot...
Picture1.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Cute! :)

And kudos to Starkiller on those quad cannon tips. His signature should be "when you can't find it, print it!"

Hi Gang,

Well... No sooner did I get started than the thunder and lightening rolled in... Is it me or does it only rain on the weekends? ugh... Anywho...

I was able to get a quick layer of primer on the quad platform and the quad itself...
20130803_120141_zps685998aa.jpg

Still lots of filling and shellac to add before weathering
20130803_120149_zpsab8df578.jpg

Taking cues from the original prop - I cannot wait to add weathering! I just hope I'm able to pull it off.
20130803_120157_zpsa1045b2d.jpg

Other side
20130803_120205_zpsfd81dacd.jpg

More to Follow!

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

Sorry there are no real updates. I sprained my shoulder so I'm taking it easy. I did manage to get some filler on the quad platform.
20130804_162621_zpsfea00122.jpg

20130804_162630_zps121fb715.jpg

20130804_162641_zps40057b0a.jpg

20130804_162621_zpsfea00122.jpg

Hopefully I can sand smooth in the next few days and then add some paint.

QUESTION: Anybody know what color the MF actually was? :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back