The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

It looks like one (of four) of the lights go out in sequence around the shaft and the center light stays on all the time. That is a dirt simple circuit to make. It can be done with a 555 timer IC and a 4017 Decade Counter IC. Simple, but looks great.

All this great detailed information almost makes it too easy. I imagine Anakin Starkiller and Oblivion are already half way done making theirs. I need to get to SolidWorks and get moving (Not to mention PCBExpress for the electronics).

I second this. Excited to see what others will do but I'm definitely planning to put together a 3d printed kit if I can. Wish I knew more about electronics, this won't be as simple as incorporating a BYOS into the model like I did for the 8th Doctor alt sonic.

It seems as if there are three different modes for the screwdriver. Off, strobing, and all on. Its likely that there are at least two props, but is it possible that the electronics inside each one are different?

Okay, so I've already started setting up sketches in Solidworks and the measurements given on the diagram from BBC America don't line up with the lengths on the image of the sonic itself. Not sure how this is possible since it's supposed to be a scale drawing but perhaps someone made a mistake - the question is, follow the measurements or build the model to match the image itself better?

And the other question is, does it extend or change form at all with moving parts? Those extra bits on the two sides near the middle of the length look like they might move but it's possible they don't.

Okay, so I've already started setting up sketches in Solidworks and the measurements given on the diagram from BBC America don't line up with the lengths on the image of the sonic itself. Not sure how this is possible since it's supposed to be a scale drawing but perhaps someone made a mistake - the question is, follow the measurements or build the model to match the image itself better?

And the other question is, does it extend or change form at all with moving parts? Those extra bits on the two sides near the middle of the length look like they might move but it's possible they don't.
In the short scene where Nick is constructing the sonic, it is pretty clear that he is using a central brass tube like on his 11th doctor sonics. Even if the tube was shortened, I don't see how he could incorporate an extension system while also fitting in batteries, the switch, and electronics into that tiny blue box.

Also, the concept art does vary from the sonic. The aluminium section where the bars are screwed in has some slight differences, such as rounded windows instead of square ones. You can scale the sonic by measuring the exposed brass tube where the wiry grip meets it. However, one should probably find the diameter of the tube first.

In the short scene where Nick is constructing the sonic, it is pretty clear that he is using a central brass tube like on his 11th doctor sonics. Even if the tube was shortened, I don't see how he could incorporate an extension system while also fitting in batteries, the switch, and electronics into that tiny blue box.

Also, the concept art does vary from the sonic. The aluminium section where the bars are screwed in has some slight differences, such as rounded windows instead of square ones. You can scale the sonic by measuring the exposed brass tube where the wiry grip meets it. However, one should probably find the diameter of the tube first.

Yeah, it's the age old dilemma of 'first to build' vs 'most accurate build'. I've generally made all of my props using screen grabs and known dimensions and working it all out while building the 3d model but since we've been given 'plans' for this one, it would seem a shame not to utilize them at all. Still, a lot of changes happen between conception and construction so edits will need to be made on the concept drawings in order to build an accurate model. It just seems odd to me that the measurements in the concept don't line up to the drawing itself.

On another note, It looks like the emitter pylon has a sort of spray-anodised look. The lower pieces could be cast resin, or just made from translucent blue acrylic. There isn't too much detail in the shots to be able to tell for sure.

EDIT: After looking at the close up on the Instagram page, it definitely seems like the parts were made from aluminium and given a coat of blue paint. There is a worn section near the control box that is exposing some aluminium. The top pylon seems to have an area where the paint "pooled up" and dried.

Capaldi also mentioned in his showing off of the new sonic that the one used in the last scene of the finale isn't the same as the one he's holding in the video, not to mention he made suggestions for changes to the prototype (which I'm assuming is what we see in the diagrams found on BBC America). So really, we still don't have enough info to make an accurate replica.

It is possible that they filmed the scene with the sonic in his hands later, and CG'ed the sonic into the tardis shots. Just my .2

I guess that's possible. He only said "which this wasn't even present at" referring to that scene. There are some noticeable differences between the one in the scene and the one he's holding - first thing I noticed was the length of the upper half and the size of the tip vs the shaft of that front end.

Okay, yeah, you're definitely right - you can tell the shot where he catches it has the sonic done in CGI - it's clearly not in his hands there but definitely is in the next shot - however, all the differences are there between the one shown in close up and the one he's holding in the interview.

actual02.jpg

actual01.jpg actual03.jpg

Okay, yeah, you're definitely right - you can tell the shot where he catches it has the sonic done in CGI - it's clearly not in his hands there but definitely is in the next shot - however, all the differences are there between the one shown in close up and the one he's holding in the interview.

View attachment 563150

View attachment 563151 View attachment 563152

I'm not sure I'm seeing a difference between the interview and the closeup, but I do agree the one he catches is CG... also, the closeup of it operating could have been done with a stand-in once the prop was ready.

Its possible that they have two builds. An "A" prop and a "B" prop. Since they are handmade by Nick, its possible that there are some differences.

The first revision of complex prop like this is never going to be right, there will always be need for tweaks and improvements.I think that working from what's available would get you 90-95% there. Then as more information is available you can do a second revision that's even closer. I work in electronics research and development... the first version of anything always has problems. Engineering is an iterative process. So, I wouldn't let incomplete information stop me from working on a replica. Especially when there is this much information!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back