Marvel NOW Comics - Amazing Spider-Man #700

Crisis on Infinite Earths is how to do it right. Even now it's a great read. That managed to clean up 40 some years of DC history. I guess seeing as how marvel is now 70 some years old it needs a good cleaning too. Especially since all the writers now probably don't give two figs about the history of the characters.

Right, but the thing is, when you do something like that, you can only do it, like, once every 20-ish years. DC WAS fine on that, until they started having crises that retconned stuff every couple years. I mean, Infinite Crisis was in what, 2005? 2006? And we've already rebooted that one too now? WTF? Crossover events are bad enough, but crossover events that reboot continuity repeatedly? BAD.

Not sure, but I am guessing early or mid 30s.

Geezos cripes. And everyone in Peter's life is literally telling him
"You did good Peter. You can die now."
If I was an important someone to a super hero, I'd tell that person "Don't give up! You still have a lot of life to live, super hero or no super hero! DON'T GIVE UP!"

Geezos cripes. And everyone in Peter's life is literally telling him
"You did good Peter. You can die now."
If I was an important someone to a super hero, I'd tell that person "Don't give up! You still have a lot of life to live, super hero or no super hero! DON'T GIVE UP!"

I think the point was that
they knew he was going to die, he was past the point of no return, but they were saying that it was ok.

I'm still not sure how I feel about ASM700. It was well written and emotional but
I'm not sure I care for the way Peter dies, he goes out with a wimper in a hated mans body. It was not the hero's death he deserved.

Will be interested to see where Slott takes Spidey from here. And you can put money on Peter Parker returning at some point.
Bet you anything Peters personality resurfaces and takes over Doc Ock's.

I'm not really a fan of DC so I can't comment there.

I was out of the Marvel game for a few years so maybe I missed something. But what recent retcon was there before the Now! relaunch? I'm not sure if we're reading the same Marvel comics; they still have a major, non-rebooting crossover event or two pretty much every year. A month ago they announced Age of Ultron for 2013, and AvX literally just ended. Then before that we had Fear Itself, Heroic Age, Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, Civil War... Do I need to keep going?

I think the age of mainstream series' having completely serial based books is something of a long gone era. Comparatively, look at something like Star Trek which started out as an "adventure of the week" type show which, 40 years later, had follow up series which were heavily arc-based. I'm not following a ton of Marvel's titles right now, but none of the ones I am have "one shot" stories and I really enjoy it that way. I feel more invested in a character or a story arc when there's more to it than "Spider-Man punches bad guys for 20-30 pages". I would take a guess that most audiences - in general, not just of comics - would feel the same way.

On the subject of character deaths, if you haven't seen Max Landis' amazing "The Death and Return of Superman" video, please do yourself a favor and watch it. He's hilarious.

If there's one thing I've said for the longest time is the fact that one thing that shoots down America comics is the fact that the two major publishers seem to think it's necessary to cram ALL their respective characters into one universe for each company and have them interact.

Big mistake.

I think if you separated them a bit it'd help,example I see no reason to toss the X-men and all the Mutants in with the rest of the superhero universe,now you might mix in say..oh,Spider-Man with them since he's kind of a mutant.
but really X-men is so big on it's own it might warrant it's own universe.

DC as I've said is a hit-or-miss company and doesn't really have many good characters but even then I never got mixing Superman and Batman...they are really two oddballs to toss together.
always thought Green Lantern would be a better mix to the Superman universe.

Then you have the more minor ones who really throw a blasted wrench into mixing them in-Ghost Rider is a good one,just HOW do you mix what is basically a horror comic with something like Iron Man? :confused

The end result of taking all these different types of sci-fi,horror,fantasy and sticking them into a blender is a great big bloody mess.

Kinda sounds like the comic industry right about now,hn?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back