Guardians of the Galaxy

I dunno, I just can't get my head around a talking fighting racoon. Isn't this the same board that damned Star Wars to hell for having a talking 6 ft rabbit in the comics? What's the difference?

It's to appeal to kids. Just looking at the cast and the 'mood' of the movie, it's for kids/teenagers.

Marvel trying to expand it's audience.

I just don't see this grossing as much as the others simply for the fact that most people have never heard of it. And since 99% of average movie goers do not sit through the credits for that last scene, there is not really a way for Joe Schmo to even know this is related to the Marvel Universe (until they see it, that is). I've seen the previews on tv and if I didn't know better I would never have associated this with the Marvel universe. From first impressions of the previews it just seems to be some goofy space movie with a raccoon and a tree guy.

I'm not trying to knock the movie, I honestly do hope it is as good as the rest of the Marvel fare, but I just doubt that I will be going to the theater for this one since I am not familier with the contents of it.................Not to mention the fact that I have to drive 50 miles to get to the nearest theater......
I'll agree and disagree.

The Marvel Movie train is moving pretty quickly right now - it will be difficult to get the same kind of numbers as Captain America, Iron Man or The Avengers. But, it does have that Marvel hype behind and the publicity machine will be rolling out and pushing this movie hard. It already has a good buzz behind it and there's been a lot of curiosity behind it.

It lacks big name stars (well, outside of an animated raccoon voiced by Bradley Cooper), a big name director, it's not set on Earth and it's more sci fi than superhero - it's all set to be an underdog hit.

Now, it just has to be a good movie.

I've had enough of dark, gritty movies full of disappointment at every turn, and featuring a tortured hero.

Time for a superhero who has fun being a superhero and experiences things that could never happen. Give me a talking raccoon with guns on a ship in outer space over that emo-superman any day. I want to have fun at the movies. If I wanted a tragedy, I could watch cnn or fox news.

This quote makes me think I'll really like it.

“There’s never been a movie like it. It’s fun and funny, and surprisingly dramatic – an antidote to overinflated blockbusters. And if you don’t believe a movie with a talking racoon can be dramatic, you need to see it.”

I hear this movie is Indiana Jones in outer space, and that's just what I'm looking for this summer.

It lacks big name stars (well, outside of an animated raccoon voiced by Bradley Cooper).

Vin Diesel
Bradley Cooper
Glenn Close
Benicio del Toro
Zoe Saldana

While Chris Pratt isn't an A-list lead (that's not a knock on him), to say it lacks any big name stars isn't exactly correct. I know that some of the roles may be small (or CGI) but there are definitely some "big" names in there that I'm sure Marvel will use to push the movie.

From the trailer and pretty much what everyone say's about the movie and what they know about GoG.

You mean the trailer where Star Lord gives someone the finger, a member of the Nova Corps calls the GOTG a bunch of a-holes, and Rocket is firing two machine guns? And not to mention their rap sheets when they are arrested. I think there is a little something for everyone in this movie, but I really don't care if everyone else on Eath hates it. I think this movie is for me, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm betting I'm not alone.

this movie being an underdog is actually exactly fitting. this Guardians team is all about everyone expecting them to fail horribly, but somehow pull out victory from no where

Vin Diesel
Bradley Cooper
Glenn Close
Benicio del Toro
Zoe Saldana

While Chris Pratt isn't an A-list lead (that's not a knock on him), to say it lacks any big name stars isn't exactly correct. I know that some of the roles may be small (or CGI) but there are definitely some "big" names in there that I'm sure Marvel will use to push the movie.
Again, not an A-lister among them - outside of an animated alien squirrel (which I previously noted) and an animated Tree alien (...and I don't really give Diesel A-lister status); and, you see neither Cooper nor Diesel.

Saldana is definitely an up-and-comer; Close is not an action movie draw - and while she might bring some esteem to this cast, she's not going to fill a seat; del Toro is a lot like Close - without the esteem - respectable actor, but not a bankable A-lister.

So, yeah... GotG has some names, but it lacks BIG names in BIG roles - it's a sci fi movie with a comedic element. This is a potential disaster for Marvel.... but, I personally think it's gonna do great.

I think Chris Pratt's going to be a star. This could vey well be his launching pad.

Last edited:
You mean the trailer where Star Lord gives someone the finger, a member of the Nova Corps calls the GOTG a bunch of a-holes, and Rocket is firing two machine guns? And not to mention their rap sheets when they are arrested. I think there is a little something for everyone in this movie, but I really don't care if everyone else on Eath hates it. I think this movie is for me, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm betting I'm not alone.

Yes that + the information available on the web.

Glad if you enjoy it, i don't think anyone wants to stop anyone from enjoying it.

Just funny/interesting to see people putting it on the same stand as Marvel's A rated movies (Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, etc), especially with the mood the movie seems to be shot in.

Time will tell, like always, but i'm highly skeptical about this movie, and looking on the internet, i saw i wasn't the only one.

Where this breaks with the super hero herd is it is a Marvel space epic, which has been a damn cool place in the comics and really the general public has zero clue.So it could be the new "Star Wars" though I make the comparison very loosely, times have changed since then, and only to illustrate showing people something they haven't quite seen before. I think there is potential, I won't make predictions.

Again, not an A-lister among them - outside of an animated alien squirrel (which I previously noted) and an animated Tree alien (...and I don't really give Diesel A-lister status); and, you see neither Cooper nor Diesel.

Saldana is definitely an up-and-comer; Close is not an action movie draw - and while she might bring some esteem to this cast, she's not going to fill a seat; del Toro is a lot like Close - without the esteem - respectable actor, but not a bankable A-lister.

So, yeah... GotG has some names, but it lacks BIG names in BIG roles - it's a sci fi movie with a comedic element. This is a potential disaster for Marvel.... but, I personally think it's gonna do great.

If you read the part I quoted, it sounded to me like you said there weren't any stars in the movie, which is why I brought up all of those names involved. I see now how you've clarified what you meant, in regards to the main team vs the whole cast.

In any case, most of the main involved names are already "big" enough for who they're aiming for in terms of a crowd. Almost everyone involved has been in the genre or an overlapping one for a while now. No matter the names involved, hopefully the movie is good enough for it to succeed on its own merit. (Which I think it will be.)

Also, obviously Close isn't the main draw, but I think her involvement will get some people curious of the movie. Think of Robert Redford in Winter Soldier. My dad doesn't care at all about Captain America or comic movies, but he heard that Redford in it and was interested in seeing it.

So it could be the new "Star Wars"
I'm already picturing the TV spots with the critics quotes saying it's the new Star Wars...

Last edited:
There will NEVER be another Star Wars! Hasn't happened since and I don't think it ever will happen again. Sure there might be high grossing movies, but NOTHING will ever bring back the feeling of the summer of '77....Nothing.

I can sort of hear what everyone is saying,there are no A++++ listed stars, The Guardians WHO???? , nobody knows anything about them except comicbook geeks,what a bunch of A***holes and I cannot deny all the risk factors in this,because the popularity of all sci fi films is pretty much a huge boxoffice gamble. But exactly the very same was said about a certain franchise that kicked it ALL off. It could never have the impact of that film because until THAT FILM came out there was nothing in the world like it, but it does have a kind of Starwars space adventure feeling, with a hint of Ghostbusters like comedy underdogism plus a whole lot of the Marvel stable franchise behind it
I can't get rid of the feeling that this film looks tons of fun, with the wierd but entertainingly mix of different alien characters ,some brilliant effects ,and as alot of people have picked up on , the sort of misfits teamed up theme that I like. .
I hear whats being said about the Raccoon , but then I can remember all that fear alongtime ago in a century now far far away about a little green puppet that was going to be THE JEDI MASTER for godsake ! It could all fall as flat on its face as Serenity did at the boxoffice, as thats arguably the closest film in tone I can find to it in my DVD collection and that had a ready made loyal TV fan base but there is just something about Guardians that clicks with me in the trailers and I think its this.
Its way different. It has an off beat charm. The fact that it has no A list stars makes its casting refreshingly unpredicatable but its also got more than a few great actors I like in it. I'm not looking for an oscar performance in this, I want a laugh and a thrill. And strangley its the very fact that its story remains such a relative mystery to me that has so caught my interest.The effects look stella and the set and spaceship designs ,for once in a sci fier, don't absolutely disappoint. Infact the main starcraft looks like a real hotrod in space.
In this world of sequels and franchises ,as brilliant as they have been, I want to watch something original and NEW (relatively) to the cinema. I very much hope Guardians will do the job .

There will NEVER be another Star Wars! Hasn't happened since and I don't think it ever will happen again. Sure there might be high grossing movies, but NOTHING will ever bring back the feeling of the summer of '77....Nothing.

No, and that was not my point entirely, but that Guardians is likely to bring something new to the table that the mass audiences simply haven't experienced yet and all the fun too. Marvel-space is really effing cool place, it's not science as we know it space, but a reallly great playground for all these unique characters. I hope to one day see Silver Surfer handled properly for instance. Interest seems to be high because of all the other successful Marvel films, so it is leveraging off of that huge foundation unlike Star Wars, which built a foundation.
But I am optimistic that if you show people something they havent quite seen before, that can resonate like Star Wars did in it's time.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back