Fine Molds Millennium Falcon 1/72 - Let the Adventure Begin!

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
Since I received this bad boy for Christmas from my wife, I've been itching to start working on it - BUT - I've been caught up doing a ton of research here on the RPF first! First let me say that I've overwhelmed by the amount of talented people that have built numerous MF's and done a simply amazing job. I am seeing various painting techniques and a ton of custom modding. I am by no means saying that I'm near the quality I see here, but I sure am going to try my best do this kit justice.

I'm sure you guys have seen a boatload of Falcon buildups over the years, but I'm hoping that you're like me and that watching each one being done and seeing the all the different techniques makes it fun all over again. I'm sure I've spent the last 2 weeks for 1-2 hours a night just researching reference photos and looking over all the previous builds done here on the RPF and yet I feel I've only scratched the surface!

I would love to be able to light this up, but at this point I think I will stick with just the model. I've seen some of the 3D printed custom parts that I would LOVE to add (the engine vents and fans in particular) but I would prefer not to spend any money if I can find a way to scratch build it myself.

Sorry for all the blabbing...on with some pics!

Here's my old kit that I did years ago. Very little weathering and no battle damage:

00.jpg

Here's the new kit all the pieces after being washed in soapy water and left to air dry:

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

I'm almost done cutting out all notches around the edges:

IMG_5042.1.jpg

My biggest dilemma right now is what color to use as the base coat after I prime it. I've seen some Falcons painted very dark grey, some medium and others are very light grey if not an off white. I am going to look around at hardware stores and hobby shops to see if I can find some fine mesh for the 6 engine grills because I think they add so much more depth and detail! Then I want to find some metal tubing so that I can add more detail to the sidewalls and recessed areas.

I love that this kit has so much more detail than the first MF I did. I can't wait to see how this ends up in the end...I just hope I can do it half the justice compared to all the other kits I've seen here on the RPF ;)

Awesome, my wife got me one for Christmas as well. I have yet to start it though due to my other side projects. I just finished building the bandai 1/144 TFA falcon which is excellent kit. I can't wait to more on your take with this bad boy. Are you going to add lights?

For base color, I've been partial to Tamiya's Insignia White (AS-20). it looks like the plastic color changed (used to be a darker grey) so I'd recommend putting down a darker tone first for the primer before the insignia white
http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1477

As for the grilles, I used these
https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/in...lcon-pe-grille-detail-set-for-fine-molds.html

There is also the Paragrafix set which has more comprehensive photoetch and can be easier to find on places other then the SSM store like eBay etc... or even their on line store
http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?PPartNum=pgx180

For piping you could use hobby wire (they have every different gauge you could need) it's super pliable and easy to work with. When I was looking for Insignia White AS-20 everyone was sold out so I went with Model Master Flat Gull Grey FS 36440 and a relatively inexpensive light kit can be gotten on ebay from a chap named Chris with the user name bloater079. very reasonable and accessible for help or questions. I should let you know I am new myself and not very skilled so my suggestions may be virtually worthless to you =D

That is one beeeyooootiful kit, sir! I'm working over an old MPC from '89...it's rough going - each piece it seems is a horrible fit. Looking forward to watching the progress!

Lee

Most tedious kit I ever built...

Don't sweat the base color. Too many people spend too much time coming up with their own special formula, secret mix, or special sauce. Even if you went with a pure white, weathered properly and with a slight patina from your clear coat, you'll be in the right ball park.

This bird started pure white:

XW0025.jpg

XW027.jpg

Last edited:
If you do enjoy the process of wracking your brain over the correct base color, personally, I'd suggest going with just the slightest "black-based" grey you can.

Think bone color...

Said differently, if you're squeamish about going pure white and want an off-white color, stick to the tones that add black to the white, not beige or yellow (some greys do incorporate tan/beige/yellow tones). And go lightly with your clear. Virtually all clear coats will yellow at least a little bit over time, depending on the lighting you keep the model under. And hence your model will eventually take on a slightly warmer color tone naturally. So stay with your more "cool" off-whites to begin with, and stay away from "warmer" off-whites.

First - let me thank each one of you for the warm welcome! When I first started creating Predator replica props I was a total newb and I sucked balls. If it wasn't for the helpful folks over at the Hunter's Lair, I would have never gained the knowledge that I so desperately needed in order to move forward and become better. So thanks for all the words of advice so far - I really appreciate it.

Scott1214 - I don't plan on lighting for this MF. Possibly in the future for the next one.
Supercoolin - those look very cool, but I can't justify the cost plus shipping to Canada.
Blakeh1, PHArchivist, and SpamDaddy - Thank you for all your input! I am definitely leaning towards an off-white rather than a grey. I can always darken a white, but I can't lighten a grey.

Here's a paint test I did on a small Falcon from Walmart:

Photo%202016-01-27%2012%2011%2054%20PM.jpg

I definitely NEED to stay closer to white than grey because the one on the right looks so much better.

Hey PH,...welcome,....I've had a FM Falcon for a good few years just sitting with primer

I've got 2 Bandai Falcons on the go at the minute so I thought I'd give the FM a coat of paint whilst I had the paint mixed.....I use Vallejo White & Deck Tan mixed 50/50

Its still WIP,...

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

My thread

FineMolds 1/72 Mandible Surgery

Good luck

John

You know, John? We often see guys who are great at either their mod skills or great at the paint brush. But that falcon shows your skillz at both are equal.

I'm trying to find accurate photos of the screen used models so that I can replicate the battle damage, but its hard to determine which photos on Google are legitimate. Do you guys know where I could find photos of the battle damage from previous screen used models?

I'm trying to find accurate photos of the screen used models so that I can replicate the battle damage, but its hard to determine which photos on Google are legitimate. Do you guys know where I could find photos of the battle damage from previous screen used models?

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC&id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC!529

- - - Updated - - -

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC&id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC!529

Pulled out my dremel and started putting on the battle damage. I made the holes on the upper hull a little larger because I wanted to be able to see the mechanics underneath the damaged areas.

Photo%202016-01-28%205%2058%2051%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-01-28%206%2012%2034%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-01-28%206%2013%2057%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-01-28%206%2013%2007%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-01-28%206%2011%2002%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-01-28%206%2010%2033%20PM.jpg

Photo%202016-01-28%206%2009%2051%20PM.jpg

Thanks! I used a round dremel bit and very carefully cut into the plastic but not deep enough to break through

Love my dremel tool! Looking good so far, PH! You decide what final base color you are going with? You got me staring at my MPC Falcon with Gull Grey and wondering if I should go lighter, especially after your side by side. Also can you link us to some of your predator work? One of my favorite movie franchises.

Take care,
Lee

Thanks Lee - I'm still looking for the right base color...there's only one hobby shop here in town, so I'm left with hardware store paint to choose from.

I've been doing Predator stuff for years, but then took a break from it for a while. I've got a few threads up still:

My Predator props (this has changed a lot over the years)
http://predatorium.com/threads/predatrhuntrs-replica-prop-collection.1816/

Stuff I've worked on:
http://predatorium.com/threads/whats-on-my-workbench.13133/

Sculpting a Bio Helmet:
http://predatorium.com/threads/sculpting-two-bios.17975/

How to paint a Bio Helmet:
http://predatorium.com/threads/p1-stunt-v4-video-huntorial-on-how-to-paint-a-bio.17688/

And here's the sculpt I'm working on right now:
5.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back