Doctor Who: 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Defined Thread!

I don't suppose Nick Robatto would be willing to make the sonics for private collectors....wonder if anyone tried asking, or does BBC have it on lockdown?

I asked Nick and he considered doing a run of sonics, though in the context of our conversation, it was rather jokingly implied:):rolleyes

There was talk of Mr. Robatto selling his sonics for large sums of money back in the day.

Yeah, they went for large amounts of money. Allegedly, the BBC pulled the rug out quickly on that enterprise.

He wouldn't touch a project like that with a barge pole now. QMx have the licence from the BBC, as we all well know.

Mr. Robatto emailed me back saying he has been getting many requests for the sonics but "Can't and won't sell them without a BBC licence" however he DID say something about there being something presented at SDCC - this could mean an official product announcement or something, not sure.
Just a question though, when Robatto WAS selling these sonics under the table, how much was he selling them for? $500, $1,000....more?

The whole Qmx thing really bothers me. I'm going to call them on Monday and drill them about it. They have this license that it seems they are doing next to nothing with. I guess I just want to know the truth of the matter.

Hi, its Nick (Robatto) here, a friend brought this thread to my attention and I thought I should try and set a few things straight.
I've been the prop maker for Doctor Who now for round about six years and been lucky enough to make some amazing things which include the range of sonics.
One thing I have never done though is make sonics for any member of the crew or general public. I don't hold a licence to reproduce them and would be utterly bonkers to do it illegally - I would be destroying my own livelihood, and with three kids to feed that's not something I would risk doing! I can say though that I am involved in something official and absolutely screen accurate, but unfortunately I'm not really at liberty to say anything more about it at this point. Annoying I know but just keep your ears peeled and there'll be some more information at some point, though it won't be from me.

Cheers.

That's great to hear, Nick! I know I'd love to have something totally screen accurate, and it's nice to hear a glimmer of hope that something might be in the pipeline.

I'm also, strangely, glad to hear that you can't be pursuaded to break contract just to make us peons a few pieces of metal and plastic for our collections .(as nice as that would be) not only would that hurt you professionally and personally, but it would also mean the contract might be handed over to someone less friendly to our type here. The fact that you came here to address the matter speaks volumes about the type of person you are, and I'd hate to see the contract go to anyone else. Situations where the propping community and the professional prop makers we emulate can communicate are often the most fruitful for both.

The entire Who crew (and I've dealt with a few of them now) has always been very open to helping out, and I'd love to see that continue...if that just means a sharing of information, great! And if it means a full on, screen accurate replica, fantastic.

I'll definitely be keeping my ear to the ground to hear of any developments, but in the meantime, I have a CO toy to completely destroy to try to make it as close as possible to your brilliant work.

Hope to see you around the boards more...if only to keep us nerds in check once in a while.

-Nick

I bet he consulted on or made the QMX prototypes. If that is the case, SWEET!!!!!!
That would explain why they look so kick ass :lol.

My bet is that these are coming out. Everyone had the story of the Trek Phaser getting canceled also and of all of a sudden it started shipping. Maybe they plan on releasing it this year at SDCC.

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-1.jpg

That's great to hear, Nick! I know I'd love to have something totally screen accurate, and it's nice to hear a glimmer of hope that something might be in the pipeline.

I'm also, strangely, glad to hear that you can't be pursuaded to break contract just to make us peons a few pieces of metal and plastic for our collections .(as nice as that would be) not only would that hurt you professionally and personally, but it would also mean the contract might be handed over to someone less friendly to our type here. The fact that you came here to address the matter speaks volumes about the type of person you are, and I'd hate to see the contract go to anyone else. Situations where the propping community and the professional prop makers we emulate can communicate are often the most fruitful for both.

The entire Who crew (and I've dealt with a few of them now) has always been very open to helping out, and I'd love to see that continue...if that just means a sharing of information, great! And if it means a full on, screen accurate replica, fantastic.

I'll definitely be keeping my ear to the ground to hear of any developments, but in the meantime, I have a CO toy to completely destroy to try to make it as close as possible to your brilliant work.

Hope to see you around the boards more...if only to keep us nerds in check once in a while.

-Nick

This pretty much sums it up! Great words here and I also thank Mr. Robatto for joining and taking the time to share with us his standpoint and also his assurance that a legitimate and accurate prop replica is coming.
I suppose our greatest fear, as collectors, is a license holder mishandling the production of a prop replica by releasing and item that is sub-par in quality and accuracy.
If what you are saying will come to pass, then I feel better knowing we will be getting something that will exceed our expectations!

Er, no. And no. You wouldn't believe who did though. :love

Then we would have to assume that the QMX License is going away or is not exclusive and there is another Licensed product under way then. (maybe but I would think they would not want to let that go knowing the popularity of this item)? If that is the case, I am holding off for the Robatto model :lol:lol:lol.

Having the License I really can not see why they (QMX) would not just fly someone over to see the real props and interrogate (er, chat with :lol) the guy who made the ones for the show. What is the point in asking anyone else if you have acess to the source.

Quote from rubbertoe (I have got to admit this is super exciting):

I can say though that I am involved in something official and absolutely screen accurate, but unfortunately I'm not really at liberty to say anything more about it at this point.

Then we would have to assume that the QMX License is going away or is not exclusive and there is another Licensed product under way then. (maybe but I would think they would not want to let that go knowing the popularity of this item)? If that is the case, I am holding off for the Robatto model :lol:lol:lol.

Having the License I really can not see why they (QMX) would not just fly someone over to see the real props and interrogate (er, chat with :lol) the guy who made the ones for the show. What is the point in asking anyone else if you have acess to the source.

Quote from rubbertoe (I have got to admit this is super exciting):

We could also believe that Qmx IS in fact delivering on these, they just needed more time to work it out. In any case, I will be paying close attention to any announcements that may involve this from SDCC.

Sure they would say this; but I emailed QMX over the rumours of something being released at SDCC, and they have denounced them as simply rumours- and that any announcements would be through their newsletter.

So that's me looking at an inbox empty of QMX mail for a good long time...

That's discouraging. It's possible they are keeping it under wraps OR they are really NOT releasing anything....which could bring up the possibility again that another company is taking over making the sonics.
These things have been a long time coming and with the popularity of the show only growing, I really can't see anyone holding off much longer on releasing these.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back