Doctor Who: 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Defined Thread!

Back on topic now...

Alright, couple more pics to share... first up, another pic of an actual filming prop, showing it off OPEN as well as closed:

sonicad.jpg

And now, I proudly present the first picture of the Wow Stuff die-cast metal replica which goes on sale this fall:

WowStuffsonicscrewdriver.jpg

And keep in mind that the screwdriver bits are meant to be removable.

If you ask me, it's a FANTASTIC prop replica for only a few quid more than the plastic toy version made by CO. Can't wait to get my hands on one! :)

Yep, let's just hope it can extend. I don't think there's any reason it shouldn't be able to, but I've known from the beginning a metal replica for $30 is too good to be true.

Yep, let's just hope it can extend. I don't think there's any reason it shouldn't be able to, but I've known from the beginning a metal replica for $30 is too good to be true.
And of course, by now we've all seen what a terrible piece of crap the Wow Stuff sonic turned out to be! :(

After they released the prototype image above, we all got excited. Now it appears that was just a Photoshopped image of the filming prop. That's the only explanation that makes any sense, given how the final product actually came out. :thumbsdown

I managed to get some snaps of the 11th Doctor sonic yesterday at the Doctor Who experience:

SANY0203.jpg

SANY0085.jpg

SANY0198.jpg

SANY0199.jpg

SANY0083.jpg

I wanted to pick it up so badly but obviously it was behind a display case :(

Looks really cool with the tarnish on the brass.

Can someone PLEASE make a nice replica of this! Want one so bad! :love

The half melted one or the Celestial Toymaker one that he has sitting on top of the display case?

The 11 sonic DOES look better with the tarnish :D Looked too pristine before...wonder if thats a look that will stick.

I went to the experience yesterday, got some other closeup shots I will post later. Will also post a link to my flickr gallery of other pics from the museum part for anyone who wants different pictures when I return in a few weeks (going with a different group of people). Bumping into an old friend who worked on the Experience I learned some very cool details on what monsters/props had been restored, what was original, what was replicated for the experience etc. Some of the restoration work on the classic series monsters is really gorgeous. The Ice Warrior, Giant Robot and Zygon look particularly awesome.

Right, off into town to buy a new card reader.

Alrighty now. Photos from Exhibition are uploading here.

Sonic Specific pictures are here in their own subset.

There are a few things I didn't get pictures of and I'm hoping upon my return to the exhibition I will be armed with a new camera (this one is beginning to show it's age... a lot). If anyone sees exhibits they want more detailed photos of, PM me before the 18th of March. After that I won't be heading back there until May-time, probably.

Those are some massive photos! I had to save a ton of them just in case.

The next time you go in, could you possibly take some good close ups of the fabric and buttons of the Tom Baker coat?

The little nodule on the side of the aluminium extending part of the sonic, could it be a button to hold the sonic closed?
Also it looks as though the top copper ring has come loose from the 4 brass studs holding the strips onto the copper lower cage of it. or those 4 holes above the brass studs on the top copper ring are accidental. hmm.
The Acrylic looks hand painted green rather than its been cast in the plastic rod they used.
still more involved than Tennants and Rivers were to do for me. Maybe my new milling machine may help after all!

I just recieved the 11th sonic toy. I was suprised - it's not AS big as most bicker about. Maybe it's the review videos which typically have a kid holding it, or someone just bickering about the size, but it seems fairly close to what I see on screen.
Granted, it's not a "prop replica" but as a toy product, it is very close.
Of course, if Qmx ever gets their act together or CT can make it happen, I would certainly invest in a high-end replica of this. For now, this one will do just fine.
I'm not sure if this toy has been updated, but the button closure on the bottom closes much tighter that what I have seen in review videos and does not hang open loosly. Also, the pic of Matt Smith holding a concept art sonic on the cover of the packaging is not there, so maybe this is an updated version of the toy.

Thanks for the pictures, MacMantis! Those singlehandedly changed my entire concept of how the prop operates.

...and now I want my own screen accurate sonic even more.

Does anyone else have any good shots from the exhibit of the 11th Doctor's sonic? The more I see of the details the more I like it!

-Nick

Huh, I thought the white handle might be a porcelain faucet handle or something like that but from those photos there is not much doubt it is cast plastic like on the toy (there are scratches all over it, it almost looks like they hit it with a lights sanding to improve grip-ability :lol:lol).

Also it looks as though the top copper ring has come loose from the 4 brass studs holding the strips onto the copper lower cage of it. or those 4 holes above the brass studs on the top copper ring are accidental.
If you looks in this photo it looks like there is a set screw in the hole. I think that collar screws on and the set screw keeps it from coming lose.

All sizes | P1030331 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the pictures, MacMantis! Those singlehandedly changed my entire concept of how the prop operates.

Have you seen this one? If not this one should help. I always thought there was only one, there is enough parts just in this photo to build at least three (possibly four) :)

Last edited:
From the source. :lol:lol
Nick Robatto's web site. He has some other cool shots there too of the two River Song Sonics disassembled and the both of the hero Tennent Sonics (the lighter and darker one).

Here is the link, cool stuff.
http://www.rubbertoeprops.com/

Last edited:
interesting to note that even the green emitter has to be grub screwed in place, or what looks like grub screws. and Nick's Sonic Pen pics revealed my suspicions - the sonic pen could extend its emitter!!:rolleyes

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back