Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Post-release)

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I think almost anyone who survived one of Lecter's attacks and had the means would probably seek revenge the way Verger did.

Could have forced hannibal to eat a salad. :p

While the line up in this is already great, i love andy serkis his performance and it Looks like hes gonna steal the show once again.

Last edited:

I wonder when and if they will bring into play the time travel aspects of the originals. I always thought the original 5 had some of the best time travel paradoxes of modern cinema. Trying to figure out the actual timeline of those movies was always fun.

There were a number of very extended trailer footage scenes on the TV last night , obviously designed to boost interest in the film, and I have to say they really worked!!!!! Absolutely stunning effects work and the apes on horseback attacking the compound were incredible, plus watching them hunting elk and fight bear was actually a disturbingly visceral experience. It really does feel like there is something to fear from their strength and savagery here. There also seem to be a lot of nods to "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" in this one, just like the first managed to the original.

Especially considering he was buried under all of that makeup. I don't really consider Verger to be a villainous character though--I think almost anyone who survived one of Lecter's attacks and had the means would probably seek revenge the way Verger did.

Well, he was a child molester, so...there's that. lol.

The more I see of this movie, the more excited I am getting. If it has even a decent script, I am going to love it to pieces. :lol

Few tweets from Devin Faraci:

"DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is absolutely awesome, incredibly smart and has a truly APES-worthy ending."

"I really liked RISE, but I think DAWN is WAAAAY better. The ape stuff alone is complex, emotional and totally cool."

"DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is the movie of the summer, and one of the year's best."

"BTW DAWN is very much a redo of BATTLE. But much better."

I'm often irritated with over use of CG, but these apes really are seamless. The whole thing just smacks of FX done right. They obviously cared about quality, and it shows.

For every Michael Bay film we get these days you get one of these!!!!
First reviews are starting to trickle in and they are hugely positive : Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: a primate scream - first look review | Film | theguardian.com (very none spoilerish)
Way up in the Nineties on Rotten Toms as well!!!!!! Be carefull of which reviews you click on to avoid spoilers.
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Rotten Tomatoes

It seems the ape effects are utterly seamless in this one. Really looking forward to some good old fashioned gripping story telling and characters and superb sci fi atmosphere!!!

PS Check these extended footage clips NOT from the film!!!!

New Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Virals Hit The Web | Movie News | Empire

The Year Ten Story of the Gun: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 10) - YouTube one is a superb short film by itself

Last edited:

I believe Godzilla also had similarly high scores before it came out, and they're now lower. Not sure about the actual reviews at the time though.
Don't get me wrong, I think Godzilla is a great movie, and I have every faith this movie is great too, just saying that I wouldn't let it hype it up too much yet. I very much hope the reviews are accurate, because I expect this to be my favourite movie of the year.

I'm not going to read any of these reviews, because I want to remain relatively spoiler free (aside from official trailers), and not set my expectations too high, so it can thoroughly blow me away!

I hear what you're saying about Godzilla, but ultimatley it stood head and shoulders above almost every other monster movie out there, past and present. The issue remains there is just not much you can do with the plot and storyline of a giant monsters movie. They always were B movie scripts, except now they have incredible blockbuster effects budgets , but I think we are are getting so used to seeing cities smashed to pieces so realistically either by super heroes, natural disasters, giant monsters and robots or various combinations of all of them that we're getting very bored with it and need something else vital to sustain us.
The fact that Transformers AOE can take the vast sums of money it does, despite getting such terrible reviews before hand deeply depresses me .Such films will then always get the huge sums of money needed to make them because they are guaranteed a huge box office return, whilst other perhaps more intelligent,interesting, experimental and possibly successfull films will never get a chance to exist beyond the scripting stage. I'm a firm believer that cash should not trump creativity, and I have to say that the standard of a lot of sci fi and fantasy has hugely improved ,now the "geek" directors are making the films they and we want to see.
Which is why there are some films I will never see nor post anything about, love or loath them, because I have no interest in rewarding the likes of them ever , but there are yet others I will always do my damnedest for if I think they have a real chance of offering something different and entertaining for the more experienced and discerning cinema goers, like many of the RPFers here, because I want cinema like that to continue to survive and do well.
Hence why I'm pushing Apes so strongly. I saw the original movies as a kid and have a great fondness for them,despite how they look like today. And I was hugely impressed by the way the directors updated the story and effects for new generations thrity years on. And I thought Andy Serkis did an absolutely incredible job of acting , not to mention the effects team ,and managed to make Caeser one of the most compelling characters I saw on the screen that year. So I want a third and for those that may remain undecided about going and like to know they will get a reasonably entertaining couple of hours for their hard earned cash heres another review, very light on spoilers, if you've seen the trailers.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Review - IGN

It's a sign of confidence that they've done their screenings so far in advance, so people can get reviews more than a week before the film actually releases. How many films these days actually rely on word of mouth, and just being an all-around good movie to get people to go see it?

I hear what you're saying about Godzilla, but ultimatley it stood head and shoulders above almost every other monster movie out there, past and present.

I agree, and I didn't mean it to come across at all negatively at all like it probably did. I loved the movie! I was just using the comparison for perspective on pre-release vs post-release ratings. I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison for reasons you've stated, so maybe it's not entirely relevant.

I'll be seeing this the day it comes out, which is the 10th in Oz. Movies generally open on Thursdays here, so often we're lucky to get the movie a day earlier than the US.

I agree, and I didn't mean it to come across at all negatively at all like it probably did. I loved the movie! I was just using the comparison for perspective on pre-release vs post-release ratings. I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison for reasons you've stated, so maybe it's not entirely relevant.

I'll be seeing this the day it comes out, which is the 10th in Oz. Movies generally open on Thursdays here, so often we're lucky to get the movie a day earlier than the US.

No worries , you lucky, lucky people, we don't get to see this until the 18th July in the UK so I won't be coming near this thread in a weeks time.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back