Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is now scheduled for release on May 23, 2014.

Love the new title and along with the release date I am really glad to know that the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes is indeed happening.

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I didn't mine Rise that much, it was way better than Tim Burton's and had enough bones thrown to the fans of the originals, even some you have to be hardcore fans to know. I like the title too, i think the franchise is being run by people who want it to remain true to the spirit of the original films.

Huge fan of the classics but still haven't seen Rise yet. Guess now that it's becoming a reboot of a franchise I'll have to check it out. :)

I think you'll like it, it has the feel of the original in some ways and is better than the storyline of how Caesar in the originals got in power and the nuclear war. it's an updated storyline and John Lithgow gives an amazing performance in his part.

Rise was easily one of the best movies I have seen in the last few years. It really surprised me....

I hope this one follows the same story and isnt a......reboot

I am a huge planet of the apes fan, nothing can top the originals or come close. As to rise as a movie it was okay,as with the apes i hated it,it was horrible .It was a okay scifi movie,just because you throw in names from original and show the icarus ,it still isnt apes. the cgi apes sucked the fight on golden gate was ridiculous , what were the apes bullet proof. the only decent acting was by john lithgow. they kept inferring it was a prequel to conquest,we will see,but i dont expect anything at all.
nothing can touch john chambers makeup, even though tim burtons story was wealk,terrible dialogue , had great makeup and costumes,plus set design and locations.
Im sorry but any real original ape fans i spoke with hated this movie ,because of the horrible cgi apes , just as bad acting as burtons and stupid plot lines. Just my ape thoughts goapebilly

Well, I disagree. I'm a "real original apes fan" and I loved Rise. Great movie and I think for the most part the sfx worked well.

I'm also a fan of the original Apes movies, and I thought Rise was very well done; as DavidS wrote above, one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. Decent story, good pacing, and the references to the original films were subtle enough not to draw too much attention to themselves.

I never once believed Caesar or any of the other CG apes were living, breathing creatures, but I thought the effects were good enough not to be distracting. As someone wrote on another forum regarding CGI, "It still looks fake, it just looks fake in a way we're not used to yet." I think that especially holds true for us older folks who grew up watching movies with physical models and practical makeup and costume effects.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever sequels are produced.

I really like the originals but not Rise. It will probably get the same attention as my GIJoe blue ray. Play once and forget. If they go with crappy CGI apes again and crappy actors this one will not be any better. I'd rather watch Burtons abomination. At least the makeup work was amazing I think it would have been better sans Marky Mark.

I thought Rise was great, was also very surprised with it. The CGI was far from "crappy", it was very well done, wasn't overused, and was believable. Great writing, made me actually care about Caesar. With most movies, I don't give a crap about the characters, or what happens to them. I'll be looking forward to this sequel.

I thought that Rise was a pretty decent and enjoyable movie even if the CG wasn't the best, not the worst CG out there but I've definitely seen better. My only real beef with the movie was the same sort of mistake they always seem to make with intelligent animal movies, the animals were just too smart. Sure, you can give a chimp a fictional drug that vastly increases their intelligence/cognitive ability but that's not the same thing as knowledge and Caesar seemed to have knowledge of things that he shouldn't have, heightened intelligence or not. The only thing that comes to mind right now was the lock picking scene, just because he's now smart doesn't mean that he would know how to pick locks or even that locks could be picked. But aside from that I really enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would and it was definitely better than the Tim Burton version that came before.

Huge fan of the originals. I agree with the many, Rise was a good movie. The CGI apes showed more emotion and human characteristics then the burton ones. I do disagree with the bulletproof comment from bridge scene. An average build man can remain standing after a direct bullet shot from a hand gun. that same man with his adrenaline at full can probably take 4 or 5. So these large apes in the heat of battle will be capable of multiple shots. Not to mention that the cops are so freaked out that a majority of those shots are missing or not hitting vital marks on the body.
i was giggling at everyone of the throw backs that popped into the movie from the originals.

I agree with the majority here. Although I thought RISE was a good movie, and much better than Burton's (particularly from a production design sense), I think it did just ride on the coat-tails of the original series, which was a ground-breaking pop culture phenomena. There was nothing groundbreaking here - taken on its own, it's just another movie. I wish someone was at the helm with the audacity that Zanuck had back in '68 to take it to the next level. Chambers makeup was phenomenal and clever, and if the RISE production pursued next generation practical appliances for the makeup instead of just relying on CGI (also Mr. Lucas' big faux pas) it could have been much, much better film. Serkis' performance was good, but CGI main characters in a live action film just don't cut it. I'll take the originals (including the tv series) any day over the remakes.

I loved rise. It was good to follow ceasar this way. A good modern take on a classic. I liked the first part of the tim burton movie. It had atmosphere. Then it went downhill fast.

Rise was a good movie, 3 stars out of 4. Not on par with the '68 original, but then none of the others have been either. And Rise was infinitely better than Burton's miscarriage--even though I'm partial to human actors in prosthetics vs. CGI apes.

So overall, I'm enthused about Dawn, although shouldn't the first one have been named "Dawn..." and this second one been named "Rise..."? Perhaps not from a marketing perspective, but with respect to the storytelling, it would seem to make more sense to have "dawn" precede "rise". Not terribly important, and I don't mean to sound like Sheldon on TBBT...it's just an observation.

The Wook

Does not the sun need to rise for dawn to occur?

Maybe not over the horizon, but the sun must begin to Rise before the Dawn can occur.

Right?

What is the technical definition of dawn?

Personally I think it is that beautiful little brunette on Gilligan's Island.

Gilligan-s-Island-Mary-Ann-classic-television-revisited-3727372-434-540.jpg

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Loved the original, loved the modern, loved Rise, and definitely looking forward to Dawn !

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back