11th Doctor Metal Sonic Screwdriver Build WIP

tumblr_l5j35boMaL1qcb19go1_400.jpg

I don't mean to derail this thread, as I think the work being done is incredible, but that is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

I've heard of the Brass vs Copper before.

Did the use of copper come from someone close to the show? Or is it based on the color of the metal in the screen shots?

It looks alot more like Bronze to me, especially like the stuff we got back at the shop. Copper, like ypu said, is too red and brass is too yellow/gold. Bronze when turned looks just like the photo in your first post. If you want ill be back from vacation on the 30th and can take photos of all three (Brass, Bronze ans Copper) next to each other and you can be the judge.

Dana

Last edited:
That's exactly what the prop looks like to me as well. REALLY looking forward to seeing this come to completion!

Thanks, I'll like to see those photos..

Brass is made of Copper and Zinc, Bronze is made of Copper and Tin. Both have a few other trace metals mixed in as well.

Bronze has a higher copper content and is harder to turn. It is mostly used in poured castings.(like bells and art)

I don't think that the prop guys would have choosen bronze for the sonic.

It is more likely that the parts were based on bits of Plumbing fixtures of lighting fixtures that would have been made of brass.

I will say that the slider portion looks to be made of copper pipe cut into strips and riveted onto the main body.

We'll see when my version is finished.

Ed

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back