RubberToe Eccleston Sonic Screwdriver

phez

Sr Member
I just got the Rubbertoe Replicas Chris Eccleston Sonic Screwdriver and it is fantastic :p.

I have been a fan of this prop since the series relaunched and they did a great job on it.

eckten.jpg

I tried to do my own build-up of this one back in 2012 with what little reference there was at the time (like one photo and screencaps :unsure:). I finally got to compare it against what it is actually supposed to look like. I thought it was cream-colored from the photos but it must have been the lighting when the reference photo was taken, so I got that wrong but overall not too far off.

Reference photo I used at the time:
image.jpg

Build next to Rubbertoe prop (I got the size little off also but not too bad :( ).
minerubbertoe.jpg

It is always fun to look back at old builds made from what was known at the time and see how they stand up to the current known info about the props.

Ugh such a beautiful piece and I am super jealous of you for having it. Also your initial build is AMAZING. Congrats on the great results!

I should probably break down and just order one. Looks so good.

Ugh such a beautiful piece and I am super jealous of you for having it. Also your initial build is AMAZING. Congrats on the great results!

Sorry, I tried to add the quote above and it didn’t work.

phez

The Rubbertoe and your own look amazing! This is the Doctor that I first knew, so it‘s still my favorite sonic.

This Sonic is very well done. I would definitely recommend it (Actually, all the stuff I have gotten from Rubbertoe Replicas has been great). I do wish they would offer an actual "as-built for the show" version of these that are made exactly like what is used on screen as opposed to all of the effects crap added (like the first Smith/Capaldi Sonic they did and a few other early pieces).

Last edited:
phez Question for you, does your rubbertoe prop slide back down closed of you have it vertical with it extended? I have one and was surprised when mine didn't stay extended and wasn't sure if that's normal. Yours looks great by the way.

phez Question for you, does your rubbertoe prop slide back down closed of you have it vertical with it extended? I have one and was surprised when mine didn't stay extended and wasn't sure if that's normal. Yours looks great by the way.
Yup, mine slides right back down too, but all of the ones that I have that were made by people who had direct access to the screen used ones work like that. So I assume that is how the real prop worked. I am not really excited about how the crackle finish came out on mine (wish it would have come out more like on my Millennium FX) but other than that it is a really nice replica. It is really hard to get that paint job right every time (especially when making a huge run of props I would imagine).
20240121_103652.jpg

Last edited:
I finally decided to order the Eccleston Sonic and am really looking forward to getting it. I'm also tempted to get the 10th Doctor Sonic that is now up for pre order but I think I will settle for the Wand version for now.

I finally decided to order the Eccleston Sonic and am really looking forward to getting it. I'm also tempted to get the 10th Doctor Sonic that is now up for pre order but I think I will settle for the Wand version for now.
If you already have the wand version (y), if you have to buy it second had at current prices honestly I would skip it. Looking at the used prices on eBay you are more than half way to the Rubbertoe version price and the wand is pretty toy like compared to the Rubbertoe version. To be fair I do think the wand version is worth every penny of the original $129.95 but over 200.00???? :lol:.

Like phez said, I wouldn't bother obtaining the Wand replica on the secondary market at this point. While nice, they're simply not worth what people are asking for them nowadays, especially with Rubbertoe putting out far more accurate offerings with better materials. I lucked out in that my wife gifted me the Wand replica for Christmas the year they came out, she's actually the one who introduced me to the new DW series, lol.

Last edited:
If you already have the wand version (y), if you have to buy it second had at current prices honestly I would skip it. Looking at the used prices on eBay you are more than half way to the Rubbertoe version price and the wand is pretty toy like compared to the Rubbertoe version. To be fair I do think the wand version is worth every penny of the original $129.95 but over 200.00???? :lol:.
I got the wand version from Thinkgeek on sale, which was the only reason I bought it at the time, the only problem I have with it is that it no longer holds a charge.

I have the same problem with mine. That's the problem with these self-contained devices so many years after their release.

These rechargeable batteries only hold a charge for so long. You could try replacing the battery, but it's easier said than done.

What I find laughable is the prices some people are asking for the Wand replica on eBay, even stating in their listings it doesn't hold a charge.

Why on Earth would someone be willing to pay $400+ for something that they can't charge and fully enjoy as intended by the manufacturer?

I have the same problem with mine. That's the problem with these self-contained devices so many years after their release.

These rechargeable batteries only hold a charge for so long. You could try replacing the battery, but it's easier said than done.

What I find laughable is the prices some people are asking for the Wand replica on eBay, even stating in their listings it doesn't hold a charge.

Why on Earth would someone be willing to pay $400+ for something that they can't charge and fully enjoy as intended by the manufacturer?
I also have 2 wand Phasers that don't seem to hold their charge as long as they used to or at all. I'm not a fan of any manufacturer that uses rechargeable batteries that can't be replaced or that you have to break open to replace.

I recently replaced the battery in my Wand Co Sonic and, while it's definitely a nail biter -- especially since I'm not great with a soldering iron, it wasn't too difficult to do if you follow Phez's tips directions in the battery replacement thread. What you will need is a good battery. I had tried it several years ago with the battery recommended and it didn't work. However, I tried the "new" battery being recommended and everything is back 100%. Try one of these:

I swapped it out and my Sonic hasn't lost its charge for several months.

After reading this thread I caved and ordered the "Wider Slider". I have Rubbertoe's second issue of the Matt Smith sonic and I LOVE it so I figured I might as well get the Eccleston/Tennant while I can (I missed out on the Millennium FX to my eternal regret, lol). I plan on putting my Wand Co up on eBay at some point to offset the cost of the Rubbertoe once it arrives.

Hope the battery info helps!

Dave C

I finally talked myself into ordering the latest 10th Doctor Sonic that is now up for pre-order. Unless they come out with more Classic Who Sonics, this might be it for me for a while.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back