Customized RB Replicas Sonic Screwdriver COMPLETED

Straker

Sr Member
Not too long ago we had a sort of research thing going on in a thread started by Jet Beetle. Well there was a lot of nice info posted there and thanks to the efforts of people there and Phez on this post here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/tom-baker-...cking-evidence-59377/index10.html#post1050267 we all not only found out that the Alnico button magnet was a perfect addition but that the halo being reduced to 3/4" looked much more in proportion.

Cut to about a year or more ago when I started a thread concerning customizing the Alnico button magnet and making it longer and repainting it black to better look like in the show. My efforts seen here:
vpu6u8.jpg

Worked rather well I thought but one thing always bugged me was getting a downsized halo for my emitter.

Well not too long ago I contacted Russ about getting a few emitter rings done and powder coated in burgundy to better match the classic appearance. I then did a few other things to detail the sonic, some which you know such as polishing the casing and adding a small washer to the neck between the halo and the neck but now I have completed the new Emitter and have finished detailing the sonic and I have to say that in the end the results are really amazing (even if I do say so myself)
dwti6v.jpg

From the bullet end:
1498ax4.jpg

Long view:
21no6ea.jpg

and a close up of an added set screw to the activation sleeve:
2vwcoet.jpg

Now as you can see I removed the powder coat from the inside of the ring, I then shortened the two top struts AND using the center of the bullet on a screw in a holder I was able to set how much of the two top struts to grind off and keep the length on them even and round them off to match the inside curve of the ring. This allows for a more snug fit to the inside of the ring and a more seamless look where they meet. I wasn't able to do the same for the bottom strut as that is more of a tube but I did shorten it down appropriately. Additionally I carefully drilled the bottom hole in the bullet deeper and then proceeded to thread the hole so that when the bottom screw threads in it effectively locks the bullet in place making the whole emitter much more solid. It's tricky but I'll be darned if it doesn't work beautifully. Then of course there's the added set screw in the activation sleeve. I noticed that many versions, both official and unofficial depending on the maker have a small hole added there. I didn't want to just add a hole so I made the hole a bit bigger and using a spare screw taken from the halo hardware of a couple spare emitter heads I ordered from Russ on his previous two Sonic Screwdriver runs I tapped the hole and put the screw in. I love the little extra detail it adds. Lastly, I painted in the three channels above the grip and the one in the grip with some flat black enamel paint.

I think with the mods here this is pretty darn close to screen accurate and really the best classic series sonic screwdriver available and these mods can be done just as easily on the sound version Russ made. What do you guys think?

I am thinking Holly Cow Batman...that is one sweet looking mod to the sonic.
Well done sir....
I have one by Firstlight and it is similar as far as the Halo look you got there. There is a little more wear on it around the outside as well. I like what you did and the inside being metal looks really cool.
Mobius

I am thinking Holly Cow Batman...that is one sweet looking mod to the sonic.
Well done sir....
I have one by Firstlight and it is similar as far as the Halo look you got there. There is a little more wear on it around the outside as well. I like what you did and the inside being metal looks really cool.
Mobius

Thanks Mobius. ^_^ Yeah I really wanted to spiff this up a bit so I used the basic look of a few of the other types like the TLP and the Sixteen12 sonic and figured out the new dimensions and had Russ make me four new rings powder coated in burgundy and red. Basically all the new parts are Russ Brown parts that have been modified with the exception of the magnet of course. Took me a little to get all this done though and I'm really pleased with the results.

Bravo Straker! That looks perfect.

Thanks Wazoo. I'm really pleased with it. Now i just need to adapt the other three rings XD I plan to use one of the bright red ones for my 3rd Doctor sonic and another burgundy for my sound sonic. I may adapt the other red one for a Davison style as well.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back