Accurate Superman Movie Costume COMPLETE! Pics up!!

whats the difference between yours and the semi circle cut?

i mean, what were they various scenes that used the different types? flying vs walking, action vs standing?

thanks man. i appreciate it. ive got my base all figured out, my iron on transfer itchin to iron on, just gotta find 3 yards or so of good red material and im in bidness
icon_smile.gif

chris

Okay okay hydin! I give up! You can stop camping out in front of my house and carying that picket sign!
icon_razz.gif

Here is very VERY basic layout of a Superman movie cape.

My original cape is currently locked into a large shadowbox, so I couldn't get to it for measurements, but then I remembered that I took measurements to build a cape for the Dean Cain costume I built when I proposed to my wife. (another story, another time...)

The length worked out quite well, seeing as the L&C capes are so big and flowing, I was able to use the same size cape seeing as Chris Reeve is a foot taller than me.
icon_biggrin.gif

I dragged out my replica cape and took measurements, as well as a diagraming out the pleats that make the cape hang so nicely.

Here we go:

<center>
capepattern.jpg

</center>

The zig zag on the collar edge shows the measurements for the folded over pleats. The red line shows where the strap is attached.

With these pleats, the outside edge of the cape naturally folds inside so the finished edge of the cape ends up behind your back and you don't see any stitching. Here's a pic where you can see how the cape lays back on itself on the outside edges.

<center>
supersteve2.jpg

</center>

There is a 10" wide piece of cotton batting sewn into the collar line (shown in dotted line) which pads and fills out the back and shoulders.

That's the best info I can give you guys with my VERY limited costuming knowledge.

Hope it helps.

Steve

p.s.
Oh what the hell...here's another pic...this time with my cape "in action"
icon_biggrin.gif

<center>
battle2.jpg

</center>

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
misterfusion wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
<center>
capepattern.jpg

</center>
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

icon_biggrin.gif

one question though.

isnt 38" for the outside length kinda short?

awesome L&C costume though. as much as it gets dogged out, i really did enjoy the series. i wish i could find a replica of that krypton sphere thing they introduced i think around season 2.

chris

hydin wrote:
one question though.

isnt 38" for the outside length kinda short?

Nope. The one measurements I didn't list on the design was the length from the center of the collar to the center of the bottom of the cape, which is 49". The scoop cut of the design goes from just over 3" to just over 4".

Those are the measurements taken directly off of the screen used cape. I laid the original out on paper, traced it, made the adjustments for the hem and the pleats, then laid the pattern out on the material I bought for the replica.

You can change the measurements to taste.
icon_smile.gif

Also remember, there were many different lengths and designs for different purposes. Mine is marked as a "flying cape", but it doesn't have any of the holes sewn into it for wire work, so mine would probably have been used when Chris was in the body cast with the pole out the back.

Take a look at this:

Thanks to our good buddy over at CapedWonder.com, you can see that even with this walking cape, there's a shorter edge that folds under.

<center>
pier-walk.jpg

</center>

And here's a really nice pic he recently posted with a nice, flat, straight on shot of an original tunic and cape showing some nice detail.

<center>
CRcostume1.jpg

</center>

And click on this photo to go to a nice big picture he has of an original cape logo:

<center>
<a href="http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/capedwonder/Super-Costumes/CRcape1-tb.html">
CRcape2.jpg
</a>
</center>

Howz that?
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve

Misterfusion - That's some damn nice posture - Excellent Cain replica and the cape pattern is most useful.
Many thanks to my saviour hydin for hosting my original pictures - they're all fixed now so you you can go back to page 1 and see how the madness started. Interestingly enough, Propsculptor - that particular auction costume staggeringly went unsold...
NewS.jpg

Thanks GEL,

That logo looks spot on. VERY nice work!

Chris Reeve is my #1 Superman, but two reasons I went for the L&C costume was because:

#1 My wife got into Supes by watching L&C.

#2 Doing that cut in logo scared the crap out of me! You're a braver (and much more talented) man than I!
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve

GELForever wrote:
Propsculptor - that particular auction costume staggeringly went unsold...
NewS.jpg

If I had the money I might have bought it.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous of you, great job on the Superman costume!! I wish I knew how to sew like that, (The "S" is the most difficult part for me) if I could I'd be done with my costume!

I'm really wanting to start this project, can anyone tell me where I could find the pod for the belt?

anything else I feel I can make or get, except the belt pod.

Steady progress continues with the suit despite all the trial and error. The most difficult part to realise so far (even more than the chest symbol!) has been the cape. Seamstress has struggled to get the correct pleats (taking it all apart, twice) and the right amount of padding to achieve the effect as seen in the movies.

Cape_Progress.jpg

Most interestingly is the fact that the cape is not tucked into the shirt at all, but rather gathers around the neckline due to the tension created by the (integral!) strap. Press studs lock it into place and the overall effect is superb. More pictures will follow but this is the state of the cape symbol so far –

Cape_Symbol.jpg

Stitching this was a nightmare as the lycra stretches (as its designed to) and distorts the guidelines. Seamstress answer was to apply iron-on interfacing between the layers to keep it firm and make it more of a patch.

CapedWonder.com has a similar shot to this so I thought IÂ’d do one for fun.

tunic_Cape.jpg

Until now the only facet of the costume IÂ’ve refused to make are the boots (on the basis that they would be easier to buy than scratchbuild). That situation has changed. These are a pair that arrived from CABoots this week;

CAB_Boots.jpg

And while the picture does them justice, they’ve screwed up my order and sent the wrong ones. (I specified red bottoms) they are also too short and won’t zip all the way to the top. While I’m sure this situation will be rectified, I advise caution when buying Super boots with the zips on the side as the leather tends to crease horribly across the shin when worn. I was also unhappy that they didn’t add much to my height (I’m a good 5’10 but I at least want to overtake Dean Cain) so I got to thinking about wedges and it just became impractical till these things showed up. God bless my fiancée as fate intervened and she found a pair of red vinyl trousers in the back of the wardrobe (don’t ask) whilst clearing out. They are the perfect material and colour. I also solved the height problem by incorporating 21/2” wedge flip-flops as a base to build the boot around. Its early days, but I think we can achieve a sock-boot that’s ten times more accurate than any you can buy. Watch this space!

misterfusion wrote:
Hey Chris,

I measured my screen-used cape, and the logo is 9" down from the collar.

I also scanned my logo and will send it to you. It is 10" across the widest points, so you'll be able to scale it from there.

Be sure to let us know how it comes out.

Steve

Steve!
Is there anyway you could send me that scan?
I will put you in my will. (My wife says I can't take this all with me anyway, you might as well enjoy, right?)

Thanks
Tom

houdiniguy wrote:
Steve!
Is there anyway you could send me that scan?
I will put you in my will. (My wife says I can't take this all with me anyway, you might as well enjoy, right?)

Thanks
Tom

Hey Tom,

Actually, the link in my last post to the Caped Wonder site has a much clearer pic than the one I came up with on my cheap little scanner. (And it's a pic that's already online and we don't have to clog up e-mail
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Steve

Yes - Will hopefully have some more pictures for the weekend as the cape is coming along. The boots are proving to be tough because I'm scratchbuilding them with platform soles that need cutting out, etc. I'm also waiting (seemingly in vain) for boots from CAB, just to see if there's any improvement on the joke pair they've already sent.

GELForever wrote:
Yes - Will hopefully have some more pictures for the weekend as the cape is coming along. The boots are proving to be tough because I'm scratchbuilding them with platform soles that need cutting out, etc. I'm also waiting (seemingly in vain) for boots from CAB, just to see if there's any improvement on the joke pair they've already sent.

Sorry to hear they messed up your order
I hate when that happens!

Hopefully they will get it right.

Yes, that's a real one. It first turned up at Christies in '98 with an estimate of only £4-6000 and incredibly still went unsold!!
Its probably a smarter investment to buy this costume as it was made in different fabrics than those of the previous three movies (where the spandex has faded) and the belt is replaceable...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back