Accurate Superman Movie Costume COMPLETE! Pics up!!

Like Alex Salkind himself said;

"Eeezhier he haas a beeg one - Or hee haaz notheeng!"
icon_smile.gif

just a tiny bump
icon_smile.gif

(HAH! PUN!)

but seriously, i have a few ideas for a display and i didnt want to lose the thread.

chris

most of the pics are gone by now.

bumping cause dammit,theres a lotta info in here i dont wanna lose
icon_smile.gif

chris

There will be a closing update from me possibly in days. The costume is nearly finished with the soles of the boots and refinements the last things to do.
I'll be using it for a photographic homage to Christopher Reeve to enter in the book of tributes sent to Dana Reeve c/o capedwonder.com

So finally, here it is. It may not look like its come on leaps and bounds since the previous updates, but believe me, much more work had to go into the boots, cape and general fit before I was satisfied.
The following were shot on film as opposed to digital, and followers of the thread might be surprised at the change of hue in the colours. If anything I think they look closer to the original;

Finished_1.jpg

Finished_Rear.jpg

Finished_Chest.jpg

Finished_Back_1.jpg

One of many things researching the costume has taught me which I think is an invaluable tip for anybody taking on the project, is that without a true reference or pattern, the movie costume is open to interpretation. The debate regarding the fabric and colours becomes redundant if, as I discovered, the suit varied dramatically not only between movies but between scenes also. In acknowledgement of this, as my suit was assembled at different stages, there isnÂ’t a single red on my costume that matches the other yet it photographs beautifully regardless as one.

The most iconic motifs that separate a Reeve suit from a generic one are the symbols (as they are separate designs for the chest and back) the belt (for the buckle design is paramount) and the boots, where no commercially available design will substitute as they have to be skintight. Other movie specific details are mainly in the construction, with the hidden seams and the interlocking pieces of the chest symbol being the main considerations, also the strap and pleats of the cape are difficult to master.

Finished_Boots1.jpg

Even though there are many things I’d do differently If I tried again, for a first attempt at an entirely bespoke costume I think it works very well. That being said I would advise against trying to make anything ‘perfect’ as a lot of the charm of the original costumes I’ve seen personally is that, being props, they were all somewhat primitive and no two were ever the same.

Kingdon_Come.jpg

Finally I would like to convey my thanks and appreciation to fellow Supermen whose assistance in the project was invaluable. Among them Jim Bowers of capedwonder.com, Super-Artist Kris Meadows, Sculptor-Extrordinaire Mike Hill and our very own cKing, whose enthusiasm and friendship have been inspirational.
But biggest plaudits must go to my seamstress Belle, without whom the whole thing would still be a mound of shapeless cloth. Much love x.

For Christopher Reeve.

Mart,

That looks SUPERB. The color looks fabulous.
It's been a long time coming but your patience and perseverence has definitely paid off. It's truly fantastic!

Congratulations!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Chris.

Wow!

Thats a great suit! Love the boots, way better than the Latex stockings I had to use recently cut to shape, for a Halloween Costume!

I agree. Excellent costume. You've put a lot of time and hard work into this and it paid off. Best fan made costume I've ever seen.
icon_smile.gif

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back