B-Wing wing hinges lose

jake88

Sr Member
This isn't a Bandai. This is a scratch build 16 inch 1/48 scale B wing and my wings that are now done, don't stay put where I position them. Everything in the hinge/wing assembly is styrene. Its was nice and snug before I put it all together but now they swing around. Looking for suggestions to get them snug for a raised or folded position. I was thinking on adding some thinned Elmers to the joint, or possibly "burring" the hing pins but I don't want to do anything permanent yet without your advice.

thnkx

I'm not sure how much you can modify it, but you could cut small notches and then add the resulting notch to the other pin head part, then you kind of pull out the pin a little, rotate it until it clicks into a notched area, the push it in

kind of like how the leg joints on the Revell At-At function

Hope I conveyed that correctly. Not sure if that make sense

Other option is to maybe use screws that you can tighten?

Of course they limit it to certain "stop" positions

For example, drill a small hole on the outer tube, put a screw in that hole and tighten it which should help hold it in place. Problem will be hiding the screw head

On a similar note to the screw thing, drill holes lined up in small increments on your inner tube/rod, then drill one hole in the out rod that lines up with those holes and pull out a pin, rotate, push it back in

I'm not sure how much you can modify it, but you could cut small notches and then add the resulting notch to the other pin head part, then you kind of pull out the pin a little, rotate it until it clicks into a notched area, the push it in

kind of like how the leg joints on the Revell At-At function

Hope I conveyed that correctly. Not sure if that make sense

Other option is to maybe use screws that you can tighten?

Of course they limit it to certain "stop" positions

For example, drill a small hole on the outer tube, put a screw in that hole and tighten it which should help hold it in place. Problem will be hiding the screw head

On a similar note to the screw thing, drill holes lined up in small increments on your inner tube/rod, then drill one hole in the out rod that lines up with those holes and pull out a pin, rotate, push it back in

Thanks guys, yes this seems like an option.

- - - Updated - - -

Do they wiggle a bit? Is there any visible space between the moving surfaces?

Thanks Oscar, yes they have a gap but the real play is in the hinge pin diameter.

Found a pic along the lines of the screw idea I was talking about. Tighten it until you can't rotate the inner tube it, loosen it and you can rotate it

halex-conduit-fittings-26270-64_1000.jpg

OEM-LockAssembly-H-SetKnobLock.jpg

Small O-rings, like used for watch winding stems could be placed on the axle, should work like a poly cap in Gundam kits. Small pieces of sponge foam may also provide some friction. Also silicone grease, it's thick and could also provide some friction, and won't harm plastic.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back