Lasse Henning A-Wing build..

Mike, I think you are on the right track, aside from me getting stuck in 1/12 land (oops).
Making a larger, custom model sounds quite reasonable. This could be reverse-engineered in a way by comparing the known sizes of the decals used on the model (which came from the 1/24 Airfix Harrier kit) and then get the actual size of the filming miniature from that... which should lead us either to the (likely 1/32 scale Tamiya F-14 kit, which would have been the largest commerically available Tomcat model kit at the time) OR, per your supposition, it will prove it is that 'supersized' version used for filming was constructed from scatch and not made using kits at all but following the smaller prototype models.

I did up some vector image versions of the Harrier decals, with an included ruler for sizing. Now just need to find one of those great closeup images of the filming miniature to compare it to.

On a rough check, it appears that was indeed the case, the model was much larger than if the 1/32 Tomcat kit was used.
Cheers!

Attachments

• artwork image.jpg
    artwork image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 761.jpg
    761.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back