Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    2 Weeks Ago  Sep 29, 2017, 3:24 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #26

    Hammer3246 said: View Post
    I'll have them in the mail today.
    Thanks Ron, you have a heart of gold!

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  2. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 1, 2017, 11:10 AM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #27

    I've been working on the Ion cannons on top of the canopy this week, I received my Tamiya CBR400F and Flakvierling 38 kits and went to work. I would have to say that the CBR400F is a very close match to the original, but not exact. However, the differences are negligible. So I didn't hesitate to use this kit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170930_203154.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,005.4 KB 
ID:	762857
    What I found interesting is that in all the photos of the original it is the inside of the motorcycle strut that is facing out towards the observer, not the more detailed outside as seen below. I wonder why they chose to display the less detailed side? Weird!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170930_203042.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	762858
    I was a little worried that after I put them on they would look too big or awkward compared to the original Bf-109 guns. I do not find that the case at all. They just look really mean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171001_082920.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	762859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171001_083055.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1,019.9 KB 
ID:	762860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171001_090556.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	762861
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Messages
    213
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 1, 2017, 11:37 AM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #28

    That looks fabulous!
  4. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2017, 4:32 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #29

    So whats the consensus here? Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He 177 strut or the Hurricane yoke? The picture is so grainy I can't tell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottom Ketten.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	763236
  5. Hammer3246's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Messages
    581
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2017, 4:41 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #30

    Yoke. I've seen a clearer picture before. I'll see if I can find it.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
  6. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2017, 5:10 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #31

    Not super clear but I can make out the profile of the yoke. Thanks Ron.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Wars - Gold Y-Wing (106).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	763239
  7. Scott Graham's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    1,687
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 2, 2017, 7:25 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #32

    I used the yoke part there.
  8. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 3, 2017, 11:38 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #33

    The MOM Y has a different tail shroud than the others. The horizontal piece does not incorporate the same Sea Lab scaffolding as Tie Killer, Triangles, or the Ladd Y. I was feeling lazy about it at first and thought maybe I would just leave the supplied parts, but I knew that I would regret it later. I have no idea whether or not it is part of a kit, but I just scratch built it from styrene sheet taking photos and reverse engineering them to get the scale right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VEH_IA_200.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	763430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Wars - Gold Y-Wing (31).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	763429

    I thought perhaps the MOM incorporated the same leading edge flap looking part, but the angles were not right to keep it either. I was pretty excited about the result. It actually fit better than the Sea Lab part the kit came with.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_173502.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	763431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_184112.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	860.8 KB 
ID:	763433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_182911.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	929.5 KB 
ID:	763432
  9. Lee S's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Singapore
    Messages
    1,136
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 4, 2017, 4:57 AM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #34

    I believe this is the same as one engine on Red Jammer (after it was completed).

    kokkari said: View Post
    The MOM Y has a different tail shroud than the others. The horizontal piece does not incorporate the same Sea Lab scaffolding as Tie Killer, Triangles, or the Ladd Y. I was feeling lazy about it at first and thought maybe I would just leave the supplied parts, but I knew that I would regret it later. I have no idea whether or not it is part of a kit, but I just scratch built it from styrene sheet taking photos and reverse engineering them to get the scale right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VEH_IA_200.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	763430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Wars - Gold Y-Wing (31).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	763429

    I thought perhaps the MOM incorporated the same leading edge flap looking part, but the angles were not right to keep it either. I was pretty excited about the result. It actually fit better than the Sea Lab part the kit came with.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_173502.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	763431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_184112.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	860.8 KB 
ID:	763433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171003_182911.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	929.5 KB 
ID:	763432
  10. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 5, 2017, 4:38 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #35

    I put a small metal plate on the underside of the canopy so the cannons can attach using a magnet. This way I can swap them out whenever I want and don't have to decide between the original Bf-109 or the more recent version of the ion cannons. Don't mind my messy canopy. It will get cleaned up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171005_133645.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	763911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171005_133715.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	763912
  11. Lee S's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Singapore
    Messages
    1,136
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 3:29 AM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #36

    One thing (slightly related) that I recently noticed was that the Y-wings in the Rebels series must have been based on reference of this Y, as the Ion guns look similar to the bike forks :-)



    kokkari said: View Post
    I put a small metal plate on the underside of the canopy so the cannons can attach using a magnet. This way I can swap them out whenever I want and don't have to decide between the original Bf-109 or the more recent version of the ion cannons. Don't mind my messy canopy. It will get cleaned up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171005_133645.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	763911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171005_133715.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	763912
  12. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 9:51 AM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #37

    Lee S said: View Post
    One thing (slightly related) that I recently noticed was that the Y-wings in the Rebels series must have been based on reference of this Y, as the Ion guns look similar to the bike forks :-)

    https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/im...C0%2C800%2C450
    I believe it's still hanging out in the Lucasfilm archive. I've seen a couple of glimpses of it on a couple of videos. I don't know how old the video with the Don Beaz walk through is, but she looks decent. Then I saw a glimpse of it on the Blu-ray fly through with missing nacelle strut.


    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Messages
    491
    1 Week Ago  Oct 6, 2017, 6:34 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #38

    kokkari said: View Post
    I've been working on the Ion cannons on top of the canopy this week, I received my Tamiya CBR400F and Flakvierling 38 kits and went to work. I would have to say that the CBR400F is a very close match to the original, but not exact. However, the differences are negligible. So I didn't hesitate to use this kit.
    Oh Im sorry for the wrong ID, I was convinced it was correct... I guess the other motorcycle is the correct donor then. Great progress nonetheless! Definately my favourite Y.
  14. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    1 Week Ago  Oct 9, 2017, 1:20 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #39

    darth_daniel said: View Post
    Oh Im sorry for the wrong ID, I was convinced it was correct... I guess the other motorcycle is the correct donor then. Great progress nonetheless! Definately my favourite Y.
    Sorry Darth I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were wrong. I was just saying that the current version of the part has minut differences from the original. Not enough for me to care though. Thanks for the ID

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  15. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 4:23 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #40

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171010_122835.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	765108
  16. Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Messages
    491
    1 Week Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 4:07 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #41

    kokkari said: View Post
    Sorry Darth I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were wrong. I was just saying that the current version of the part has minut differences from the original. Not enough for me to care though. Thanks for the ID
    No problem, but there are definately very slight differences in the parts, for example some block at each guns side right after where the thin gun barrels end. I always assumed the ILM guys had added some small part there but the instructions photo of the Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750F does show this small block, so this is definately a better match than the CBR400F.

    Oh, beautiful progress by the way!
  17. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 8:01 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #42

    I've begun painting and for the life of me cannot figure out the base color for these nacelle rings. Are they grey with brown weathering? Or are the brown? Depending on which nacelle I look at and at which angle I change my mind. Any ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010082.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	735.9 KB 
ID:	765626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6130327_JPG.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	765627
    Last edited by kokkari; 1 Week Ago at 8:55 PM.
  18. t2sides's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Messages
    247
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 8:54 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #43

    Mike,
    This is looking FANTASTIC! Great attention to detail, very impressive what you are doing with it!! Keep up the excellent work!
  19. Scott Graham's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    1,687
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 9:02 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #44

    It looks kind of like the right one has yellow mixed in with (or under) the gray to make it appear brown.

    While the left one looks gray. You’re right it’s confusing.
  20. Jkirkon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    From
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Messages
    397
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 9:46 PM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #45

    Looks grey with weathering to me
  21. kokkari's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    California
    Messages
    1,174
    1 Week Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 12:11 AM - Re: Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion #46

    Scott Graham said: View Post
    It looks kind of like the right one has yellow mixed in with (or under) the gray to make it appear brown.

    While the left one looks gray. You’re right it’s confusing.
    I'm glad you understand my pain!

Similar Threads

  1. Bandai Y-wing : Gold Leader- Finished!
    DARTH SABER, General Modeling
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 11, 2017, 10:21 AM
  2. Gold Leader Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing
    blakeh1, General Modeling
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jan 4, 2017, 9:07 AM
  3. Gold Leader (Revell Y-Wing Conversion)
    Haystack Hair, General Modeling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec 29, 2014, 1:22 PM
  4. Gold Leader Y wing, NiceN kit conversion.
    ralphee, Studio Scale Models
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2014, 12:55 PM
  5. Y-wing Gold Leader photos needed!
    GF, Studio Scale Models
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Nov 2, 2007, 7:42 AM

Tags