Cosplay request etiquette?

moxbrose

Hi all!

I am very new to the cosplay community, and I don't know much about the etiquette surrounding it. Basically, I was wondering what the general consensus is on requesting an original character cosplay, whether from a friend or stranger.

I write fan fiction and original stories, and have a few of my original characters I would love to see come to life. I myself couldn't do my characters justice, as I'm the complete opposite body type, but I have a friend that cosplays all the time. I've been wanting to ask her about dressing as my character but wasn't sure how to approach this. I don't know if this would be rude or offensive to her, or if it's just not something that's generally done.

I'd love any thoughts on the subject! Please remember - this is really my first adventure into cosplaying and I'm not trying to sound ignorant or rude on this subject, I'm just curious :)

Why not, I say. What's the worst they'll say - No?

Only thing you need to think about is who is going to make the costume, and more importantly who is going to pay for it.

I think it would be flattering. As long as the costume isn't more risque than there own cosplays. If the person enjoys cosplay they are probably looking for new characters and costumes to do all the time. I say ask politely, and if they're not interested move on. It might help to have some concept art of what you intend, and you might want them to read your work to get a feel for the character... and so they feel involved.

My biggest concern would be whether the costume is within my budget and skill level--is it a suit of plate armor requiring $500 in thermoplastics and extensive experience programming arduinos and special effects, or just an exercise in finding the right clothing on Amazon? The easier it is to make, the more likely I would say yes.

If it is an extensive cosplay, you may want to help them make it or pay for supplies if you want it brought to life.
I wanted a friend to be a handler at a recent con, and for that wanted to create an outfit. I made, and fitted the outfit to them (dates and such didn't work out so someone else used the outfit) but I picked up the tab on the costume.

If you want it done, I would say that you can put in an effort on the build, and help with supplies or pay for parts. It could even be yours after the event as you paid for it (put it on a mannequin for display)

I would think the opportunity to create something not seen before would be an honor, and exciting. But I would expect the person to do the asking, to also help with sourcing, labor and/or money

They're your friend – I'd just ask them casually and politely.

"Hey... you know that character "X" I have? Did it ever occur to you that you could pass for "X" if you (did / wore whatever)?"

Good luck :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back