Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

I love what you've done so far.

I don't know if the guy is in this thread, nor do I know what came of it, but I had sent him a steel barrel that was a dud (mounting holes were a bit off) for his PKD water gun conversion. If anyone is feeling uber adventurous, I have several dud barrels (mostly steel, but also a couple in stainless steel, no aluminum - it was used to make some fittings) that can be used.

I don't know if the guy is in this thread, nor do I know what came of it, but I had sent him a steel barrel that was a dud (mounting holes were a bit off) for his PKD water gun conversion. If anyone is feeling uber adventurous, I have several dud barrels (mostly steel, but also a couple in stainless steel, no aluminum - it was used to make some fittings) that can be used.

Thanks!

If it were much earlier in my progress on this I would probably have taken you up on that...

Ooh, I might take you up on that! I'm in the pre-start phase of my water gun mod--reading, learning, and gathering parts.

I'm trying to decide how far I want to go with the upgrades and "accurizing." It's not like there's a set limit...LOL. ;)

I have been struck with a bit of megalomania... I know the original prop did not have a working safety but I would like to build one.
Can anybody tell which direction is Safe and which is Fire on the original Steyr model SL receiver?

I have been struck with a bit of megalomania... I know the original prop did not have a working safety but I would like to build one.
Can anybody tell which direction is Safe and which is Fire on the original Steyr model SL receiver?
Pushed forward is unsafe, and pulled back is safe. If you look up pictures of the rifle you will see either a white dot in front of the safety to indicate it is safe, or a red dot behind to show It is not. The whit dot is covered when unsafe and vice versa.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Interested depending on cost. Spent enough on this “cheap” water gun already. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushed forward is unsafe, and pulled back is safe. If you look up pictures of the rifle you will see either a white dot in front of the safety to indicate it is safe, or a red dot behind to show It is not. The whit dot is covered when unsafe and vice versa.
Thanks. I had seen pictures of real rifles but was confused. Apparently, on the actual rifle the safety sits higher up and there is no bolt-stop screw. On the PK-D, the safety does not cover the rear (red) dot like on the rifle.

Thanks. I had seen pictures of real rifles but was confused. Apparently, on the actual rifle the safety sits higher up and there is no bolt-stop screw. On the PK-D, the safety does not cover the rear (red) dot like on the rifle.
No problem! Every detail on this prop is another rabbit hole.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I decided to repaint my PKD. It still needs some touching up, but I much prefer its appearance now. Also, I'm doing my best to replicate Deckard's Michroma digital watch using a Casio F-91W.
de952a085bf16c801a9ea5d977ec6e1b.jpg
8a5e06237171c0d0f2a1f15799b4ac93.jpg
5c2efac3e01bf9eb2697204612d50178.jpg
785eaa88ef3010fb7128757fc05bc0ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Long time not posting. I moved and was able to set up a "stuff making corner" again, so I finally took time to work on the PKD Watergun I got from 829Japan (big thanks to him again!)! Here's the result, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Battery is in the handle, holding with magnet. Let me know what you think :)

I used Vallejo Gloss Black Primer, Metal Steel, Metal Chrome and Metal Gloss Varnish.

47580994_10218444052714817_4833511372639698944_o.jpg PSD01.jpg PSD02.jpg PSD03.jpg PSD04.jpg

Long time not posting. I moved and was able to set up a "stuff making corner" again, so I finally took time to work on the PKD Watergun I got from 829Japan (big thanks to him again!)! Here's the result, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Battery is in the handle, holding with magnet. Let me know what you think :)

I used Vallejo Gloss Black Primer, Metal Steel, Metal Chrome and Metal Gloss Varnish.

View attachment 966510 View attachment 966511 View attachment 966512 View attachment 966513 View attachment 966514
Amazing build. This is exactly what I want to do for mine. Were the LED bits a kit or something you scratch-built?

Amazing build. This is exactly what I want to do for mine. Were the LED bits a kit or something you scratch-built?

Oh total scratch built. It's pretty easy stuff, using prewired 3mm led, simple soldering, and heat shrink tube. I might add a potentiometer cause the leds are way too bright.

Oh total scratch built. It's pretty easy stuff, using prewired 3mm led, simple soldering, and heat shrink tube. I might add a potentiometer cause the leds are way too bright.
Cool. Yeah, you want some kind of series resistor to limit the current to the LEDs. Thanks for the info. I'll dig around my LED collection to see if I have enough 3mm red and green ones. I might wind up using lithium coin cells, as those can be run without a series current limiting resistor. I used that in a Star Trek "The Cage" laser pistol prop build (that used to be linked in my signature).

I'd love to know your technique; I've been wanting to snag another one of these with my tax return and give it a proper go.

I don't know if I'm the best to give you advice since it's my first "real" airbrushed (had it for two/three years now, never used it for this kind of stuff (mostly for the props I made for short movies, webseries and stuff). I trained before by doing some repaint job on a K2SO Big Figure (I may post it soon too, but not now since it's a gift for my wife :p).

Basically to sum up :
- I opened the gun in two separated parts (that was SO tricky since they're glued/melted, just so I can work on the basic electronics, remove the "water pistol" part. Put the trigger on a spring so it can still be used. I've painted everything at ~20PSI (after looking at some advice here and youtube).
- Closed it and glue it back together, using Plastic Cement I usually use for styrene. And it worked pretty damn well!
- Closed any gaps and the filling hole with plastic puddy (again, from Vallejo... I have no parts in the company, it's just the easiest thing to get in uk :p)
- Gave the entire gun a good sanding (@220 mostly). I forgot that step in my first go and the primer wouldn't stay (of course...). You really have to sand it entirely and not miss any part.
- I used 4 or 5 layers of primer. Since the gun is transparent and I wanted to add LEDs, I really wanted it as opaque as possible. Vallejo recommend their Gloss Black in the Metal range. And of course, if you're doing metal, I tried on a grey and gloss black, gloss black is definitely the best.
- After masking the black part of the PKD, I added the steel paint. Chrome was giving me pretty much the same result though, didn't saw massive difference. And it was too light for my taste, so I gave it a really thin layer of gunmetal, airbrushing from a greater distance, just to give the dark grey I wanted, without being gunmetal.

The extra metallic part (screw, etc...) were hand painted with a fine brush. For the weathering, I couldn't wait. And even though oil paint is better for it, I used acryllic with a lot of water, brushed it over the gun and removed the excess with a paper towel, gently, letting the brown and black paint set in creases. Did some dry brush thingy too. And even used a metal/silver paint pen on so part, to do scratch.

I decided to stick with the primer for the black part of the gun... which is not a thing to do I guess... but as I was adding a varnish (metal gloss) I though it wouldn't harm. I couldn't find any black metal available around me. And removing the masking tape created some holes (that's why I insist on sanding). Nothing a good brush couldn't fix.

So here it is... nothing really fancy, just "noobie" stuff here I guess. But had a lot of fun and learned a lot. Took me about 2/3 days. If I had to do it again, I would try to get it smoother and shiny on the black part. Here it's a bit too rough compared to the OG prop. I'm gonna try putting more paint next time, I saw people using puddles in their advantage... the main thing I learned to avoid :).

Been watching this thread since it started, had my squirt gun, but no time or space to embark on modding it till now. All of the work posted here is amazing, truly!

I was wondering if anyone has the stl files for the front receiver piece (either with or without the lower barrel)? The links are understandably dead at this point.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back