Music ! RPF we are world wide. and music Is world wide. I want to hear It !

I never really got into grunge music. For me, music is supposed to be inspiring, and grunge was pretty much the opposite of that. It was pretty much chock full of angst and self-loathing that I may have been able to identify with, but sure as hell didn't want to. Frankly, it was depressing.
I totally understand why people didn't like it. For me, the whole 80's rock/pop/metal star didn't relate to me at all. And I was too young to be aware of the alternative 80's bands that I could relate to. Maybe it was just where I was in life but Kurt cobain, Eddie vedder and Michael stipe spoke to me.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

To me, grunge was such a breath of fresh air. I was just entering highschool when it hit and up until then all I saw was Madonna or guns and roses.

I didn't listen to Madonna or Guns'n'Roses.
I was listening to stuff like Violent Femmes and The Smiths and The Cure and Love And Rockets in high school.

We had an "alternative" radio station at the time that was playing some really cool stuff...
Then all of a sudden grunge got "cool" and our station stopped playing interesting stuff and started playing nothing but grunge.
Then it went mainstream, and every radio station was playing grunge.
That put the kibosh on artistic music...
That's when I stopped listening to radio altogether.
So I have a grudge against grunge because of that.

I didn't listen to Madonna or Guns'n'Roses.
I was listening to stuff like Violent Femmes and The Smiths and The Cure and Love And Rockets in high school.

We had an "alternative" radio station at the time that was playing some really cool stuff...
Then all of a sudden grunge got "cool" and our station stopped playing interesting stuff and started playing nothing but grunge.
Then it went mainstream, and every radio station was playing grunge.
That put the kibosh on artistic music...
That's when I stopped listening to radio altogether.
So I have a grudge against grunge because of that.
I totally understand that. I was 14 in 1990. I lived in a small town and had no older siblings. All I knew what on mainstream radio. I had no idea about anything cool like the violent femmes or the replacements. The first r.e.m. song I ever heard was Shiny happy people.

Heck, I was so sheltered I didn't even know the joshua tree.

If I did have access to that stuff, life would have been much different

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Use to listen to this
On one of these. that's an 8 track for the youngsters out there lol
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I envy you, Rob...
I would have loved to have lived out there and been on the ground floor of that scene.
My scene was the Charlotte, NC, scene. Not much scene to be seen...
I was pals with The Squirrel Nut Zippers and The Flat Duo Jets, though...

Its not what you would imagine. Back in the day we would go to gigs somewhat nightly. A friend at the time was with Tower Records for many years so he had all the inside scoops and guest list passes. We would also regularly pick up artists from LAX or hotels for in house events which lead to many of those people becoming acquaintances... We picked up Kim and Kel one day at LAX just as the Breeders debut was about to happen. My friend had known Kim for a long time yet ive never been a fan of the Pixies outside of a song or two. If I recall that was the same week where Dave Gahan had passed out in our bathroom. Around the same time, to keep things sounding even more unbelievable, Daniel Ash has passed out, OD'ed actually, in the back seat of my car.

How about some Medicine:
https://youtu.be/kdAloztRU4E?t=45s

Some ironies about Medicine, they were one of the bands seen in the movie The Crow with Brandon Lee. About ten years later Shannon Lee had been with the band and recorded an album. Its not a well know album even to old skool Medicine fans but the shocking thing is there is a song Shannon wrote for both Bruce and Brandon Lee on that album. She still to this day has disturbing dreams about them. Not to get too far into it but a good friend trained with Bruce Lee and was the one that trained both Brandon and Shannon Lee. Thats how I know a little about those dreams.
This is that song about those recurring dreams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi7NXmOYS-8

We were only doing psychedelics, so we didn't often have drama like that (ODs).
When we did it was peripherally - someone from another scene we were partying with or whatever.
I don't have cool stories about superstars, except for the time Dexter Romweber got drunk at our house and hit on all our girlfriends at once with the line "You girls look good enough to eat." In nothing but his underwear.

Here's The Flat Duo Jets:

I remember them!

How about some Tarnation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC_zoHb1yOA

Also - Low:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSb6EcMIikU

At the end of my shift today. the phrase superman were are you now was running through my head. thank god for the weekend....

2 years ago, my sister was dying in a hospice.
The nurses had a radio in her room, tuned to a station playing nothing but cheesy Christmas songs.
I thought she deserved better than that, so I started making a playlist for her.
I wanted it to be songs that sounded like heaven.
She died before I could give it to her.
Here's a few of the songs I wanted her to hear before she died.

This one was kind of "our song".
She had this tape, I listened to it, found this song, and freaked the F out.
I was like "Have you heard this??? OMG!"
This song will forever remind me of her.

This video will bum you out, but the song is great. Five Finger Death Punch Wrong Side of Heaven (youtube video was pulled)
[video]http://www.vevo.com/watch/five-finger-death-punch/wrong-side-of-heaven/US5Z51400556[/video]

This one also might bum you out. :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back