Movies/TV Shows that made you feel dismal

Oh, just remembered another one.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
First film was a fun, exciting and awe inspiring thrill ride that left me begging for more. I loved it every time I saw it in theaters and it just left me with a great feeling. When the sequel came out, something felt really off. Instead of a movie that tried to be fun, we get an overly preachy movie about how misguided we are and anyone who doesn't see things that way deserve to die. Whole groups of people get slaughtered, random characters who we don't know were getting focus solely to be killed by dinos and that main land sequence that feels so out of place. Top it off with the notion that all of the bad things happening were caused by the heroes! Near the end when we learn that Vince Vaughn's character had sabotaged the hunter's gun and relishing in it as some sort of victory came off as downright psychotic. People died because they were chased by that T-Rex. The Lost World made me feel like I just watched a movie made by people who didn't care about human life and relished in seeing the countless deaths that occurred onscreen.

The Road, while it was a good film, was so depressing, as was The Mist.

I really love House of Cards too, but there are times where I have to give myself a few weeks break from it because it's cynicism and hopeless atmosphere and characters just drag you down.

Boys Don't Cry.

A friend of a friend said they heard it was good, we had no idea what it was about. Whew!

...For the most part, at least in the past, I have made an exception for war films. Platoon...
This is sort of off topic, but the first time I saw Platoon there was a young man in line behind us who looked like he had driven straight to the theater after receiving his leave authorization--"high and tight" haircut, full fatigues, and so on. He was very excited to see the movie and, based on some of the things he said, seemed to have somehow gotten the impression that it was going to be very pro-military; my friends and I resisted the temptation to inform him otherwise. We saw him walking out of the theater after the movie ended, and he looked like he'd just been told his family, friends, and everyone he knew was dead. The movie had sucked all of the "military macho" out of him, and he looked dejected and defeated as he silently shuffled out of the theater with his shoulders slumped and his head bowed. It might have been funny if he hadn't looked so pathetic.

Slumdog Millionaire - someone actually told me this was an uplifting film. That's not even a happy ending, as far as I'm concerned. So the kid wins the money - big deal. Everyone else's lives are still screwed up in various ways and some folks irreparably disfigured.

The dance number at the end was supposed to elevate the mood but, compared to a real Bollywood dance number, it looked pretty cut-rate - which only made the film more pathetic.

I watched the first episode of The Night Of and I don't think I can continue. Not a bad show at all, just made me feel ill.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back